Here's one single line.....

[Disgruntled Rambling]

Perhpas Obsidian were under time constraints, perhaps they weren't. Nevertheless, all they needed to inlcude is the following line, which would have clearly eased everyone's disparagement with TSL's 'conclusion':

To Be Continued...

That would have easily changed all the 'WTF's?' to 'Ahhhh's'. :)

[/End Disgruntled Rambling]

manthing2.jpg

Indeed, they did. At first, it was a risk for them since the original game wasn't a proven franchise, but obviously it paid off and now we have the second game.

Some of the primary complaints of the first game were it's bad endings. They weren't bad in and of itself, but given the quality and immersion of the entire game, having it end so suddenly and abruptly, not to mention completely clichedly, without more specifics as to what your actions caused or what happens to the rest of your party is just a huge letdown.

In a HUGELY ironic move, Obsidian goes about replicating this exact mistake. They knew, from the get go, that one of the biggest weaknesses of the first was the endings. So why did it end so completely weak?

If you ask me, this year has introduced a new story mechanic to the world of gaming--the cliffhanger. First it was Halo 2, then Half-Life 2, and now KotOR II. So what were the developer excuses so far? It's part of a greater series... I never played these games, but this new trend is starting to worry me. It seems like a cheap way to sell a franchise knowing that dollars are guaranteed. There is no closure in the plot arc or pyschologically to the fan.

Well I don't have an Xbox, but it's kinda hard to avoid the opinions, mostly unanimously, of the ending...

A "to be continued" would have just turned my "WTF" into a "god damnit, what a crock of $#@%".  I didn't buy the game to be forced to buy a third in order to gain closure.

Amen to that.

after all there are NO guaranties that there will be KotOR III...

...and even if there would be, who's saying that it'll continue the story of kotOR II ?

"If at first you don't succeed... So much for skydiving." - Henry Youngman.

Well, unsatisfactory endings is the "thing" this year it seems. People mentions unsatisfactory endings in Bloodlines, Half-Life, KOTOR 2 among other things... Where will it end? ;). and why the sudden appearence of so many unsatisfactory endigns in so many games? :blink:

Despite the fact that many people who've played KOTOR has a negative view on it, I'm still very optimistic about the Februari release and can't wait to get my paws on the game :D

yay finly some one read my:

that was no ending that was a clif hanger...

i totly agree with jagars4ever.

they may as well just put that by kria saying

maybe you will help(or find) Reaven

But she did say that. She suggested that as a choice you can make, and you can actually make that choice when you choose what to say.

Well, unsatisfactory endings is the "thing" this year it seems. People mentions unsatisfactory endings in Bloodlines, Half-Life, KOTOR 2 among other things... Where will it end? :-. and why the sudden appearence of so many unsatisfactory endigns in so many games? :wacko:

no its not nonsatisfactory its just a cliff hanger.

It's hardly a cliff hanger, it's a POS ending.

"To be continued.." have no place in video games.

The first time I saw it in Soul Reaver - I was furious, I remembering reading a review of that game and it being said it was like buying a novel and having the last 100 pages blank.

Even if a sequel is planned there should still be some kind of closure to the story.

I try to pretend nothing happened after the first silicon knights classic anyway.

It's pretty clear the writers really had no, and still have no idea where the hell they were trying to go in the subsequent instalments.

Alas Kain has a cool voice.

Nonetheless it's a fine example of the no "to be continued theory"