Romances

I do not understand how, as many before claimed, TSL handled romance better than KOTOR I. If what they mean is that there was practically no romance and that suits them better, fine by me. I know a lot of people don't like romance or romantic stuff in general in their games and that's fine, but that doesn't mean that the absence of something means better handling.

Yes there were hints, there was a (VERY) subtle flirting of sorts, but that's about it. Emotional involvement with any characters (save Kreia) was practically non existent, because the whole thing was not handled that well.

Let's take Visas who plays a major (supposedly) part in one of the final battles. As it happened in my game i didn't use her that much and had miniscule influence with her, hence very few dialogue went on between us. Then all of a sudden before i'm off to the Ravager she's that major player in the story who (apparently) loves me and would sacrifice herself for me. I'm left with no choice but to have her in my party in the battle with Nihilus, hence my choices up to that point (concerning the rest of my party) and the influence i had with them, are rendered useless and unimportant.

The same of course would hold true if i didn't use the handmaiden and had little influence with her, and she then went on her revenge thingy with Atris. It would have been out of the blue. (at least you're not forced to have the handmaiden no matter what)

If the devs wanted for certain events to happen no matter what, then they shouldn't say that your choices matter, and they should just force you to develop a more intimate relationship with the character they plan to make so important later on. That way at least when the event with that character happens it might actually mean something.

In KOTOR I you were more or less led into developing feelings for Bastila (and luckily i did), so when the events of the end unfolded, you WERE emotionally involved in the whole thing.

RPGs, adventures and generally games with story lines and characters work exactly like movies and novels. If you don't feel an emotional attatchment to the characters, then you don't give a rat's A%S what happens to them, which in turns affects the whole experience negatively.

Having said all that, i must say that TSL had many things that were far better than KOTOR I (moral ambiguity, more dark and mature storyline) but character development and romance were not among them.

I disagree here: I think the lines are unusually rich for a CRPG, like Visas' final passionate confession of love, or when the Handmaiden challenges Atris in all her fear and frustration after learning (erroneously) that her lover was killed ...

... but unfortunately, there was not enough of those lines, meaning that all these emotional outbursts were not too well prepared during previous dialogues. See, in Planescape: Torment, you got so many small clues and hints from Annah, and Annah herself only slowly came to admit to herself that she loved your PC, and you watched this romance unfold and develop in so epical a way ... but not so in TSL where everything rushed on too quickly towards a very emotional ending.

You're right, it's more a question of "not enough of those lines".

Sorry, my post was was badly phrased (that's the problem when english isn't your first language), thanks for putting it right. ;)

Russians like Hanharr, because he is a big angry bear, but since there is no romance with Wookie...

Russians like Mira! Can I change the course of her relations? She keeps on telling me that she doesn't like me :ninja:

I mourn the lack of a Mira romance. To me she struck me as the most normal and realistic of the female NPCs.

That's exactly it -- Mira's normal and realistic. Why would she want to get involved with someone like your PC?

One problem with the KotOR games is that each individual NPC doesn't have all that many dialog chances with the PC. Contrast this with PS:T, where everyone's going to be around all the time.

If the devs wanted for certain events to happen no matter what, then they shouldn't say that your choices matter, and they should just force you to develop a more intimate relationship with the character they plan to make so important later on. That way at least when the event with that character happens it might actually mean something.

In KOTOR I you were more or less led into developing feelings for Bastila (and luckily i did), so when the events of the end unfolded, you WERE emotionally involved in the whole thing.

I think the romances were probably *intended* to be developed more, but as with so many other parts of the story, they got truncated by the "XBOX for Christmas" factor. Black Isle could be every bit as good as Bioware with romance, as in the marvelous Planescape:Torment. The way they were setting up Handmaiden and Visas as choices for the male PC reminded me of Annah and Fall-From-Grace in PS:T. Its really a shame, because this game could have been so much more. :(

Am I the only one here who didn't want to start any exclusive relationships with any ladies... but rather wait until I get the chance to see Brianrietta, Visas, Kreia and Mira on their knees while I "unload the cargo" all over their faces? (w00t)

Polygamy, makes the universe go 'round. :devil:

One thing I could not stand in K2 was playing female and the lack of romance...

When you talk to Kreia in the end, I got that "Disciple blindly loves me" or something stupid. I could not stand Disciple. He remided me of some sort of strange self-sacrificing prettyboy with weird notitions about relationships. I was disappointed when you asked Kreia about Atton "Did he love me?" she says "He is a fool... blah blah... that should answer all your questions." I looked at the screen like this: <_< I was so annoyed at her.... too bad you couldn't scream at her "Just tell me,!" And I do agree that the 'cryptic' talk of the Jedi ("Jedi Talk" as Atton calls it) is a bit irritating and annoying.

signature2.jpg

Fanfics:

KotOR II: After the Credits Rolled: Read

Force Sight: Read

Other:

Gaming Blog: Read

One thing I could not stand in K2 was playing female and the lack of romance...

When you talk to Kreia in the end, I got that "Disciple blindly loves me" or something stupid. I could not stand Disciple. He remided me of some sort of strange self-sacrificing prettyboy with weird notitions about relationships. I was disappointed when you asked Kreia about Atton "Did he love me?" she says "He is a fool... blah blah... that should answer all your questions." I looked at the screen like this:  <_<  I was so annoyed at her.... too bad you couldn't scream at her "Just tell me,!" And I do agree that the 'cryptic' talk of the Jedi ("Jedi Talk" as Atton calls it) is a bit irritating and annoying.

lol, well at least it's obvious that Atton loves you, even if Kreia calls him a fool for the 125,234,981st time. You'd think she'd call the Disciple a fool considering his near-blind loyalty, but noooo.... :devil:

.  You'd think she'd call the Disciple a fool considering his near-blind loyalty, but noooo....  :devil:

Wow... didn't think of that. She always gets on your case when you help somebody out and do LS moves (havn't done DS game yet... but I've read she barks at you for doing DS stuff like killing 'innoncents' too) but she doesn't get mad at Disciple, or at least insult him, because he's completely LS.

But I did enjoy those little cutscenes where she sort of played with his mind... :D

signature2.jpg

Fanfics:

KotOR II: After the Credits Rolled: Read

Force Sight: Read

Other:

Gaming Blog: Read

Am I the only one here who didn't want to start any exclusive relationships with any ladies... but rather wait until I get the chance to see Brianrietta, Visas, Kreia and Mira on their knees while I "unload the cargo" all over their faces?  (w00t)

ROTFLMFAO! sorta like this? ----> :shifty::devil::ninja:>_<>_<>_<:devil: (w00t)

Nice to see someone ELSE has a crude sense of humour!

Must say though that KOTOR2 romances aren't as good as the first because (if you're male) there are at least 2 spunky women with which you can't get it on with!

You're feeble skills are no match for the power of the Bumfluff!!

Actually one thing that made me laugh was when I rescued the handmaiden and she got all 'emotional' with me then after that when I go to chat with her it's back to 'There is nothing to discuss, leave me alone'. LMAO *sniff* *sniff* do I smell a part-GLITCH?!?!?!?!?!?! :devil:

You're feeble skills are no match for the power of the Bumfluff!!