Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Barlast on Bloodlines (SPOILERS GALORE)

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

Child of Flame

Child of Flame

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3213 posts
I personally loved the Anarch ending (my first one).

Spoiler

Kaftan Barlast

Kaftan Barlast

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 4737 posts
  • Location:In the middle of the night when everything was still, she heard clawing and gnawing, nibbling and squabbling. She could hear the wolves in the walls, plotting their wolfish plots, hatching their wolfish schemes
(given my big spiler warnig in the title, I dont think its really necessary to bother with the blackout)

I naturally played a survivalist rouge hellbent on gaining as much power and influence I possibly could -vampires are after all, not very nice people.

So of course I played humble servant with LaCroix(but did join the anarchs because everyone needs allies) until I could get what I wanted, although curiosity and "everyone says I shouldnt open the box so of course ill open it"(worked in KoTOR) played their partys in the decision. But instead I found myself effectively robbed of everything I had struggled for by a couple of kilos of C4.

If Id been the first victim of an awakening Antediluvian(or methuselah) I wouldnt have minded so much but this was just pure and utter anticlimax that wasnt made better by the "Teh cabbi driver was Caine..hiii hii, yUO n00b!!"

so I played all the other endings and found that all were equally non-satisfying and most of all lacked closure. The last you saw of your character was usually when you left LaCroixs office and that was the end of a character youd poured hours and hours into.

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5371 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

I naturally played a survivalist rouge hellbent on gaining as much power and influence I possibly could -vampires are after all, not very nice people.

Yep, that's probably the path any sireless fledgeling would have taken. Despite all its flaws I must say that the game excelled at allowing you to play sneaky. Even though you were used and abused everytime by older and smarter vampires...

If Id been the first victim of an awakening Antediluvian(or methuselah) I wouldnt have minded so much but this was just pure and utter anticlimax that wasnt made better by the "Teh cabbi driver was Caine..hiii hii, yUO n00b!!"

I must say I would have been rather surprised if everything had happened as the PC expected. After all, deception is a major element of the WoD, and the elder a vampire is, the more steps ahead of you they are. A young vampire with too much lust for power is just begging for Final Death (unless you belong to the Sabbat, that is :-").

so I played all the other endings and found that all were equally non-satisfying and most of all lacked closure. The last you saw of your character was usually when you left LaCroixs office and that was the end of a character youd poured hours and hours into.

I can understand your disliking the 'anticlimax' endings, but what's wrong with the Camarilla and true anarch endings? >_<

Child of Flame

Child of Flame

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3213 posts

(given my big spiler warnig in the title, I dont think its really necessary to bother with the blackout)

So of course I played humble servant with LaCroix(but did join the anarchs because everyone needs allies) until I could get what I wanted, although curiosity and "everyone says I shouldnt open the box so of course ill open it"(worked in KoTOR) played their partys in the decision. But instead I found myself effectively robbed of everything I had struggled for by a couple of kilos of C4.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I played a Toreador, so being mean wasn't a problem (most human clan).

I dunno, it was just extremely satisfying finally standing up to LaCroix before he used Dominate on me. :D

Dark Wanderer

Dark Wanderer

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 770 posts

I must say I would have been rather surprised if everything had happened as the PC expected. After all, deception is a major element of the WoD, and the elder a vampire is, the more steps ahead of you they are. A young vampire with too much lust for power is just begging for Final Death

Well, one can mask his/her lust of power by being loyal too. After all, being loyal to the Camarilla allows you to survive, after all :D.

(unless you belong to the Sabbat, that is :(").

This game gives me the impression that if you're Sabbat, you're more or less asking for Final Death in ANY case =]

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5371 posts

This game gives me the impression that if you're Sabbat, you're more or less asking for Final Death in ANY case =]

Right, the key words here being 'this game'. :(

Dark Wanderer

Dark Wanderer

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 770 posts

This game gives me the impression that if you're Sabbat, you're more or less asking for Final Death in ANY case >_<

Right, the key words here being 'this game'. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Right, right. Redemption gives, IMHO, much the same impression through. Dunno what it is like being a Sabbat in a PnP game through... Is the Sabbat perhaps unfairly portrayed int he games? :-

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5371 posts
Yeah, that's one of the things I didn't like about BL. Even though it's true that the Sabbat usually Embrace en-masse to get shock troops and loads of cannon fodder, the higher echelons of the sect and those carefully chosen for the Embrace have a longer unlife expectancy. Only the 'shovelheads' appear in the game, unless you count Andrei, and yes, those tend to die rather quickly and gruesomely. :ph34r:

birdiedude

birdiedude

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 38 posts
I didn't like any of the endings. But when you sit back and think about it, it doesn't matter.

Vampires of the world of darkness have already faced their Gehenna in the official product line, so no matter what your character does he/she is more than likely dead anyway.

Overall the game was fun to play in between the periods I was staring at a loading screen. As much as I would have prefered better endings, fun is all that matters.

Kaftan Barlast

Kaftan Barlast

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 4737 posts
  • Location:In the middle of the night when everything was still, she heard clawing and gnawing, nibbling and squabbling. She could hear the wolves in the walls, plotting their wolfish plots, hatching their wolfish schemes
Another thing about the canon of the WoD, I just read the Anarch chapter of "Guide to the Camarilla" and there is a canon version of LA described there that definently does not match up with Bloodlines version. Not a single official WW character matches(even if IMO BLs version is better). So Troika are allowed to do that, but they are not allowed to alter the gehenna novels crap. gah.

Or Im completely wrong about this "WWs official canon forced BLs anticlimactic endings so they matched the Gehenna Novels" thing, and Troika designers thought it was really neat to end the game that way without tying up the ends(what caused the dead to rise from the graveyards for an example? must have been something extremely powerful)

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5371 posts

what caused the dead to rise from the graveyards for an example? must have been something extremely powerful

That was most likely due to the influence of Caine.

Dark Wanderer

Dark Wanderer

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 770 posts

Yeah, that's one of the things I didn't like about BL. Even though it's true that the Sabbat usually Embrace en-masse to get shock troops and loads of cannon fodder, the higher echelons of the sect and those carefully chosen for the Embrace have a longer unlife expectancy. Only the 'shovelheads' appear in the game, unless you count Andrei, and yes, those tend to die rather quickly and gruesomely. :ph34r:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I see. Well, should there ever be a sequel or something like that in which we're allowed to play as Sabbat, I hope we'll be choosen from those "higher echelons" then. Through I judge it as somewhat unlikely. More likely the character will be a "shovelhead" who survives far longer than any of his comrades, thus catching the eyes of those "higher echelons"...

I didn't like any of the endings.

Well, haven't gotten all of them yet, but I liked the Camarilla ending quite enough :o.

But when you sit back and think about it, it doesn't matter. Vampires of the world of darkness have already faced their Gehenna in the official product line, so no matter what your character does he/she is more than likely dead anyway.

Perhaps so, thorugh who knows? Shame that the "old" WoD has ended anyway.. -_-

Child of Flame

Child of Flame

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3213 posts
Yeah, to bad we'll probably never get to be of the Tziminsce clan....Fleshcrafting looked like it would've been a fun game mechanic. :-

Dark Wanderer

Dark Wanderer

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 770 posts

Yeah, to bad we'll probably never get to be of the Tziminsce clan....Fleshcrafting looked like it would've been a fun game mechanic.  :shifty:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe so. I'm not exactly sure how we'd get to use it, through.. Make our own monsters? Give ourselves new body parts (funny thing is that 've heard that Tzimisce fleshcraft themselves so often that after a few decades, they forget what they originally looked like :thumbsup: )?

I dunno if we'd get to use Fleshcraft, but it's not too unlikely that we'll get to play as the Tzimisce clan someday. But how far off int he future that is, who can say...?

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5371 posts
I think it would be extremely difficult to put some Disciplines in a PC game in all their PnP glory. Take Thaumaturgy for example. It was great in the PnP and in BL it's just another lame boss-killer. Auspex is even worse. I don't want to think what they would do with things like Necromancy and Vicissitude. :ph34r:

Dark Wanderer

Dark Wanderer

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 770 posts

I think it would be extremely difficult to put some Disciplines in a PC game in all their PnP glory.

Well, many PnP stuff are hard to get correct in games. Bloodlines is hardly the only exisiting example.

Take Thaumaturgy for example. It was great in the PnP and in BL it's just another lame boss-killer.

Well, never played the PnP game, but I throught Thaumaturgy was rather cool in the PC-game. Bloodshield and Blood boil especially.. :3.

Auspex is even worse.

Never played the PnP game so I don't really know the difference there too, through I heard that in the PnP game Auspex is useful to detect things about a person. But anyway, I agree that there is not much use for Auspex in the PC game - never put much XP into it...

I don't want to think what they would do with things like Necromancy and Vicissitude. :ph34r:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, if you make a mess at the Giovanni mansion, you'll see the usage of some necromancy... I don't know much about the last discipline through so no comment on that.

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5371 posts
Um, well. I'm no expert on all the possible uses of Necromancy but I'm pretty sure that none of them allowed you to turn perfectly good mortals into rotten zombies in the blink of an eye.

And Vicissitude is the 'true' name of the fleshcrafting Discipline used by the Tzimisce.

Dark Wanderer

Dark Wanderer

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 770 posts

Um, well. I'm no expert on all the possible uses of Necromancy but I'm pretty sure that none of them allowed you to turn perfectly good mortals into rotten zombies in the blink of an eye.

Well, they were corpses at that moment as far as I remember - at least, I only remember that Giovanni only being able to turn corpses of those guards I killed into zombies...

And Vicissitude is the 'true' name of the fleshcrafting Discipline used by the Tzimisce.

I see, thanks :)

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5371 posts

Well, they were corpses at that moment as far as I remember - at least, I only remember that Giovanni only being able to turn corpses of those guards I killed into zombies...

That's odd. As soon as I entered the house after beating the outside guards, Bruno came dashing through his conference room's door and started turning the guests into zombies. I may be wrong but I did't attack any of the guests, only the guards. But after a while there were no guests to be found anywhere, only a whole lot of brain-hungry zombies...

Anyway, AFAIK Necromancy is more of a conduit to the Underworld that a way of doing nasty things with corpses. I'm not sure it allows to create zombies in any way. :)

Dark Wanderer

Dark Wanderer

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 770 posts

That's odd. As soon as I entered the house after beating the outside guards, Bruno came dashing through his conference room's door and started turning the guests into zombies. I may be wrong but I did't attack any of the guests, only the guards. But after a while there were no guests to be found anywhere, only a whole lot of brain-hungry zombies...

Odd indeed. But then again I did not beat the guards on the outside, just those inside. The guests escaped in terror as far as I remember, Bruno came out and stared to raise the corpses of those I already killed... and that was all, more or less.

Anyway, AFAIK Necromancy is more of a conduit to the Underworld that a way of doing nasty things with corpses. I'm not sure it allows to create zombies in any way. :)

Well, I've heard similar things. Heard that Necromancy mostly isn't about doign stuff instantly, but rather over a long time. Heard that it can take days to turn a corpse into a zombie, not a few seconds, for example...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users