AHHHHHHHHHH???????????

The story unravels into a steaming pile of **** covered ****!!! First off, i loved the first KotOR. Best game ever. However, this sequel was amazingly devoid of any sort of rational ending. Many questions arise throughout your journey that are left unanswered. Did i miss something?? I'm pretty sure i was paying attention as the storyline played itself out but then BAM! Sudden plot twist! and the entire story i'd been digesting for the past 42 hours just disintegrated like sand through my fingers. This plot twist wasn't like the last game where you could recall past conversations with Bastilla or the Jedi Masters and think "wow that makes a lot of sense!" That twist was perfect. It surprised you AND you embraced it. It worked to pull the plot together, leaving you with a good handle on the story as a whole. The twist in KotOR II does exactly the opposite. It doesn't pull the story together, it breaks the story apart and leaves you confused and frustrated at having scurried around the galaxy for the past 42 hours just to stumble upon the realization and ultimate conclusion that you know nothing. But hey, thats just my opinion.

The story unravels into a steaming pile of **** covered ****!!! First off, i loved the first KotOR. Best game ever. However, this sequel was amazingly devoid of any sort of rational ending. Many questions arise throughout your journey that are left unanswered. Did i miss something?? I'm pretty sure i was paying attention as the storyline played itself out but then BAM! Sudden plot twist! and the entire story i'd been digesting for the past 42 hours just disintegrated like sand through my fingers. This plot twist wasn't like the last game where you could recall past conversations with Bastilla or the Jedi Masters and think "wow that makes a lot of sense!" That twist was perfect. It surprised you AND you embraced it. It worked to pull the plot together, leaving you with a good handle on the story as a whole. The twist in KotOR II does exactly the opposite. It doesn't pull the story together, it breaks the story apart and leaves you confused and frustrated at having scurried around the galaxy for the past 42 hours just to stumble upon the realization and ultimate conclusion that you know nothing. But hey, thats just my opinion.

And you aren't the only one with such an opinion.

With all the people lamenting over this game, I think we might need some therapy sessions with trained professionals.

30 hours of my life down the drain......

I pretty much felt the same way, but I played it twice more and it doesnt seem so bad anymore, its not KotOR and it doesnt have a great ending cinematic (or much of one at all) The story is there, you just have to squeeze it out of you're companions.

And (not to turn you're threat into a KIII thread but..) perhaps OE purposely left the storyline somewhat vague leaving ample room for KotOR III.

I pretty much felt the same way, but I played it twice more and it doesnt seem so bad anymore, its not KotOR and it doesnt have a great ending cinematic (or much of one at all) The story is there, you just have to squeeze it out of you're companions.

And (not to turn you're threat into a KIII thread but..) perhaps OE purposely left the storyline somewhat vague leaving ample room for KotOR III.

Yea, but it's starting to feel like Halo 2 ALL OVER AGAIN....

But, after the dust settles and if I am bored enough, I'll go through it on DS.

I am currently on my secong game -- not even off my first planet, following Telos. If you take the time to really work at the Influence system and get your character to talk more about their backgrounds, which also gives you the ability to make them Force capable, you get a lot more of the story and some of the questions are answered. I've already answered one of my "wtf" questions I had at the end of my first game.

Now, not to sound like I'm defending this, I worked just as hard my first game but didn't catch on to how to really handle things until I was almost done. At least one (there are others) of the problems is that a lot of the story to this game is in *optional* dialogs. If you miss it, for whatever reason, you are screwed.

I very much miss the story development from the first game.

I agree with you, the story is strange, but its not all that bad. What questions did you have Maybe I can answer them, or try to.

The only questions I had are...

What happened to Go-To and the Remote?

What is True Sith that Revan fights?

(This seems like a threat that would best be explained in KotOR 3... If there is to be one)

At least one (there are others) of the problems is that a lot of the story to this game is in *optional* dialogs.  If you miss it, for whatever reason, you are screwed.

I wouldnt call optional and extensive new choices of dialogue a "problem". If anything, I think it brings alot more to the game (for example, instead of playing the game through once or twice and grasping every aspect of it, now you must play from many angles many different times to grasp every aspect of the story).Or if you dont want to do so, then I suggest saving before party member conversations so you can re-load and explore all options.

And, I am very sorry to hear that you miss the old, restrictive, obvious dialogue choices and game development that plagued KotOR.

Now, not to sound like I'm defending this, I worked just as hard my first game but didn't catch on to how to really handle things until I was almost done.  At least one (there are others) of the problems is that a lot of the story to this game is in *optional* dialogs.  If you miss it, for whatever reason, you are screwed.

And I think is the main problem with this game. You have to gain sufficient influence to be able to unlock these convos and understand the storyline. To do this you need to constantly switch your party members and run around trying to find the triggers that will unlock the dialogue or you'll get the same convos over and over. The influence idea is excellent but there is no point of locking elements that are part of the main storyline. I think this system, instead of adding to replayability, adds to frustration.

If you think the story isn't confusing except for the wound in the force part a little. You have to look and listen to everything including the Chronicles at kotor2.com , the loading screens, and listen to the characters. I use all my characters evenly because in both games I mapped out a pair for each planet trigger points aren't that hard when you're in a situation that might be one just save and experiment with the character you know the dialouge choices might fit. That's another reason why people should have to save games for each character they create. Also as a tip threatening HK-47 raises his influence.

Now I understand that you have your opinion, and you are certainly entitled to it, but perhaps voicing it in a less obnoxious way would save me having to dig my incisors into my keyboard. Its bizarre how I haven't seen such extreme points of view in the many impartial reviews I've read. Over analysing and high expectations on your part I feel.

I hate this, the backlash. Prime examples being Deus Ex: Invisible War and Thief: Deadly Shadows. Both sequels like TSL, very fine games, ripped to shreds by over critical obsessives who, not being able to see past their blind expectations, simply refuse to enjoy the game for what it is.

I played, not because the gameplay was excellent (the constant winning became tedious, sometimes there should be a non-death consiquence of losing, like becoming a prisoner and having to escape and fight your way out without weaps or something cool like that.) but because I wanted to further the story line. Really. The story was most excellent, and left me guessing. Then the end came, and I continued guessing. I.E. what did I do after Malachor V? The ending left me staring at my screen, thinking 'well, at least I know what happened during the game' and made me wish I had gone to bed five hours earlier, like at 10:00 instead of 3:00.

If KOTOR3 has an ending like this, I will start a mob and attack LucasArts and demand a book explaining what happened with KOTOR2 and 3.