Finally, a patch for V:tMB

GhostofAnakin

You have admitted that HL2 is great at hardware scaling. Which proves that it is actually possible. Why should I expect anything less? Am I supposed to stand for anything less?

Why should you expect anything less? Because HL2 took 6 years and >$40M to develop , which allowed Valve the luxury to polish everything to a nice shine. That simply isn't going to happen with many games and certainly not with most PC RPGs (try a fifth of that budget and most often much lower), so it's unrealistic to hold everything to HL2's standard. That doesn't mean lower-budget games can't be polished but they can't do it all - they need to scale down content or find some other compromise. Of course, you may like the idea of mega-blockbuster titles, carefully planned to sell the millions of copies necessary for those budgets, along with the all design choices necessary to meet those goals.

That's not a very sound argument, mind you. Let's phrase it another way, shall we?

Should we just put up with whatever crap is released just because it didn't take them six years and $40 M to develop? Please.

Don't forget that BL actually uses the same engine of HL2, and they were working on trodden road.

Besides, unless you work at Valve, you don't know how many of those six years have been wasted on restarting the project from scratch, and you don't know how many of those six years have been spent in the hardware scaling part of the engine. For all we know it could have taken them the last month of the development time, the same time the BL team had after they had 'finished' their product but couldn't release it because of the contract with VU.

But it doesn't really matter. Part of making a PC game is hardware scaling, of which BL has none.

No, I don't hold everything to HL2 tech standards, and I will tolerate slightly worse products. After all, HL2 is revolutionary technically speaking.

What I won't tolerate is a pitiful product tech-wise and then the devs' claims that the game's problems are *MY* fault.

I think Troika got an early build of Source.  I also think Troika doesn't have the same programming talent that Valve does.

Yes, that's what I've heard too. I don't know how getting the licenses for an engine works, but was there something to prevent them from getting the last, optimized version of the code once Valve had it?

If there was, tough luck. If there wasn't, then that's just laziness.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Its a Troika game.  Don't expect Troika games to be running right.

Hmm. Funny thing, I've never platey a Troika game expect for Bloodlines, thorugh I hear that their previous games sucjed both because of lack in good characters, story, ability to run correctly, etc... Now with their newest game, most seem to agree that they suceeded in creating good characters and story but failed in making it run correctly, so voices declare louder than ever that "Told ya, you can't trust Troika with ANYTHING"..

Despite the fact that many people who've played KOTOR has a negative view on it, I'm still very optimistic about the Februari release and can't wait to get my paws on the game :D

No, I don't hold everything to HL2 tech standards, and I will tolerate slightly worse products. After all, HL2 is revolutionary technically speaking.

Ah - I see...you didn't actually mean what you originally said. Let me get it right -- just to make sure I'm not misunderstanding.

You have admitted that HL2 is great at hardware scaling. Which proves that it is actually possible. Why should I expect anything less? Am I supposed to stand for anything less?

Won't stand for anything less but I don't hold everything to HL2 standards, and I will tolerate slight worse. Got it.

Its a Troika game.  Don't expect Troika games to be running right.

That seems to be the consensus.

Something to consider is that the Source engine still has random performance problems in Half-Life 2, even on very high end systems. HardOCP saw stuttering problems in HL2 on a system with a FX-55 and TWO 6800 GTs running in SLI mode... you can't get much higher end than that. And Valve has admitted that it is a bug, not the user's hardware, that is to blame. And they have released multiple patches to fix that specific problem that don't work.

In that context, Troika claiming that it is the user's hardware that is causing the performance problems people are seeing seems pretty stupid.

• 3 years later...

I have to say Bloodlines has been very stable and not buggy at all for me

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

NECROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :)

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

What, I had very important thing to contribute

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Necromancer indeed :)

Let's see if I have what I need. 1 Holy Stake, yep, 3 bags of Unicorn Blood, yep, time to put this poor old thing to rest permanently :rolleyes:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein