Is it worth it getting a Wacompad?

Kaftan Barlast

Since it was revealed that the amazing mystery concept art was done in CorelPaint, Ive been thinking about getting a pad and fiddle around a bit myself. The thing is that Im not doing anything remotely professional or otherwise(modwork) that would really motivate the purchase. But I am a painter and I thought it might be a good thing to practise on.

What do you think? Anyone here except the Obsidian artists thats using one and is willing to share some words of wisdom?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

As far as the wacompad I'm not familiar. But I have several artist friends that completely adore tablet PC's, but they work in general art and graphics not just gaming. Maybe a higher end item, but you're "painting" right onto the screen that way. Plus you can get them with anti-glare type addons so you can use them outdoors in the bright sun. Anyway, just thought I'd offer another alternative that many seem to enjoy.

Maybe a higher end item, but you're "painting" right onto the screen that way.  Plus you can get them with anti-glare type addons so you can use them outdoors in the bright sun.

I think these are TOO expensive to buy just for playing around.

Since it was revealed that the amazing mystery concept art was done in CorelPaint, Ive been thinking about getting a pad and fiddle around a bit myself. The thing is that Im not doing anything remotely professional or otherwise(modwork) that would really motivate the purchase. But I am a painter and I thought it might be a good thing to practise on. What do you think? Anyone here except the Obsidian artists thats using one and is willing to share some words of wisdom?

Wacom tablets are good and more expensive, than others.

But it takes a bit of time to get used to looking at the screen while drawing.

Well, I was lucky enough to get one for christmas. Its very very tricky to get used to and the hand-to-eye coordination gets to work real hard. This is the first doodoo I made with the OEM paint program.

{B2EB4A53-43F4-4D73-B876-606804F0224B}.jpg

The only brush I could get a grasp on was charcoal but I couldnt really get it to do what I wanted so I just played around. Looks very artclass at age 15

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

• 2 weeks later...

the wacom is an awesome tool, but yes it takes some getting use to.

helps me out because I'm left handed for drawing and writing, but for controling my mouse I'm more comfortable using the right hand .... the pen for the tablet now makes it easier for me to use my left hand again, now if I could just master photoshop or painter I could get somewhere. ;)"

still the pad is awesome and one of the best computer investments I ever bought.

• 2 weeks later...

I switched from the useless OEM program to Photoshop and tried my best to get the brushes sorted out, PS is much better to work in but its complicated to get the exact brush style you want. Heres a test I did, took a break from the pad and when I came back I was much better at it(weird)

{0FDBAA0A-315C-40F3-BBA7-8CCD93872461}.jpg

As you can see, its rather blurred because I couldnt setup a good hard brush so I had to use the creamy blurry ones. Color will have to wait til I get the brush issue sorted out.

• 3 weeks later...
I switched from the useless OEM program to Photoshop and tried my best to get the brushes sorted out, PS is much better to work in but its complicated to get the exact brush style you want. Heres a test I did, took a break from the pad and when I came back I was much better at it(weird)

{0FDBAA0A-315C-40F3-BBA7-8CCD93872461}.jpg

As you can see, its rather blurred because I couldnt setup a good hard brush so I had to use the creamy blurry ones. Color will have to wait til I get the brush issue sorted out.

In photoshop, if you're using a tablet, just push harder and you should get a harder brush. Or it might just give you a bigger brush....

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I set mine to control color dynamics. Anyway Ive moved on to painter IX now so Ive got that to wrestle with, there I can get it sharp but the color dynamics doesnt work the same, you cant paint bright over dark for instance.

Um..... Always dreamed of a tablet..... Wacom Graphire/Intuo.... or at least Volito..... (i could misspel names)

I'm an artist (albeit not very professional), and I really crave for this tool, since it's really crappy trying to color your sketch with a mouse in PS....... Too much unneeded actions... tedious work really impedes your flow of creativity.

But... it's too expensive for me, plus it's really hard to find one here....

Ive just got a simple Graphire tablet thats less than 100$ Its only A6 and it isnt tilt-sensitive but you can do lots with it. The best thing I think is that I can practice as much as I want to without paying big bucks for artist materials.

If I could only get painter to do what I wanted, I might have to resort to switching between PS and Painter to get somewhere. I havent really made anything worth showing except maybe this that I did first IRL then added the skin in PS

04.jpg

My friend did this with a basic bottom of the line wacompad in photoshop. So once you have practice... .damn.

post-296-1107340133_thumb.jpg

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Then order one, Im shure you'll be able to get it cheaper than 100$

Oerwinde> I can see he's been using the sweet sweet color dynamics function.. in Painter you just have opacity variables and that sucks. CDs allows you to pick a color and have every single tone of it from black to shining bright, just by pen pressure

My friend did this with a basic bottom of the line wacompad in photoshop. So once you have practice... .damn.

Dude thats F|_|ck1n9 ace.

Just because you're a bit thinner than your even fatter mum it doesn't mean you're in excellent physical shape, if you could fit through the door and view the normal people you'd notice that cheeseburger boy. Squid suck.