Geforce 6600GT or Geforce 6800GT?

@Darth Ni:

Before that post, you wrote exactly the opposite.... Damn are you a retarded child. I am sorry for your parents.

Just consider the the fact that it is you who posts misleading information here. And why do you always say I want a flamewar? You post nonsense, you insult me at every turn. Would you not post so much bull**** I would not even care about you. Lot of hot air outta yer mouth. lol :lol:

And you don't have to spend a grand on an Athlon FX-55.  I was just looking at Athlon 64 3000+ s939's for $150 on newegg.com

I was thinking of getting a 3500+ at the time but they only had AGP and DDR and I knew these technologies would be obsolete soon which is why I didn't go for Athlon. Besides, what does an Athlon64 compare to? I know even the FX series can destroy any Intel processor out there (even a 3.6 Xeon!). However, I think the 3000+ only has a 2.1 GHz clockspeed and even though it has a super fast 1600MHZ FSB, it still can't compare with a 3.2 or a 3.4 which you can get for the same price.

@Darth Ni:

Before that post, you wrote exactly the opposite.... Damn are you a retarded child. I am sorry for your parents.

Just consider the the fact that it is you who posts misleading information here. And why do you always say I want a flamewar? You post nonsense, you insult me at every turn. Would you not post so much bull**** I would not even care about you. Lot of hot air outta yer mouth. lol

Hey Coordinator, I know your parents probably abused you when you were young but you have to learn that an internet forum is not the proper place to write this stuff... I'm sure there are some mental clinics nearby whereever you live and they are fillled with doctors who would like to hear all your stories. Maybe you should go visit one, it would do you some good. Its ok, I understand in fact, we (The Obsidian Forum Community) all understand and forgive you for being such a retard. :-

EDIT: COORDINATOR ADDED TO IGNORE LIST...

Hey Coordinator, I know your parents probably abused you when you were young but you have to learn that an internet forum is not the proper place to write this stuff... I'm sure there are some mental clinics nearby whereever you live and they are fillled with doctors who would like to hear all your stories. Maybe you should go visit one, it would do you some good. Its ok, I understand in fact, we (The Obsidian Forum Community) all understand and forgive you for being such a retard.  :p

Looking into the mirror are ye? It is you who started this crap, but you cannot accept the truth. You are just too arrogant to realize that your oppinions are wrong most of the time. Oh, and thank you for insulting me everyday, loosers such as you seem to need that. But you need to to better because even on that topic you bring nothing new and fail in a horrible boring way. :unsure:

Hahaha. Thats funny Coordinator, you say I seem to "start crap" or insult you and you seem to be doing it everyday too. Who's looking in the mirror now?

Oppinions is spelt incorrectly just so you know, its spelt opinions. I'm just trying to help those in need (such as yourself) who don't have the benefit of an education.

Anyways, if you had a shred of intelligence, you would know that opinions cannot be considered right or wrong. An opinion is simply what someone's point of view on a particular subject is. They can't be judged as right or wrong. Learn a few things first before speaking dumbass...

COORDINATOR ADDED TO IGNORE LIST... If you are to stupid to understand, it means I'll just save time loading each page by not loading your endless posts of crap. Have fun talking to a wall Coordinator... Oh and stop sending PMs to me, if you have USEFUL something to say, post it on the forums... (But I wont be reading your crap will I be?)

> Athlon-64 does give better gaming performance but the price you shell out for something like an FX-55 Processor is around $1000.

For a FX sure, the focus for the FX (sledge hammer) is high end servers/workstations. For a home user PC you use the standard AMD64 (claw hammer). Which you get the benefits of the FX just not as much cache. (512k vs 1meg) and its far better priced. ie a amd64 3000+ can get for under $200.

> Also, P4 gives better multitas.ing performance than an Athlon-64.

Really? first I heard of this. Have a link/where you read this?

> Besides, when Longhorn comes out, there will be better processors than Athlon-64 FX-55 which is why I'd settle with an Intel Xeon or P4 Solution.

That makes little sense. Your argument is dont bother to buy a current amd as it will be dated when xp64 comes out. Yet, then you say buy a intel. erm.. well a current intel WILL be dated too. Plus it WON'T have 64bit functionality.

> Another reason I chose Intel over AMD was DDR2 memory.

DDR3 is around the corner. This is a moot point since both cpus can use DDR2 and 3 when its released.

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

The P4 does give better multitasking performance than the Athlon 64 because it supports Hyper-Threading (which makes it appear as two "logical" processors, so it can take two instruction streams simultaneously). Doesn't make a huge difference though (best case throughput increase is about 20% IIRC). Two logical processors aren't as good as two real ones :thumbsup:

Hyper-Threading is pretty much useless for games which hardly ever benefit from multiprocessing.

Athlon 64s with DDR2 support will be released when it makes sense to do so -- currently there isn't much performance advantage over DDR; when (official, JEDEC certified!) DDR2-800 is on the market, I'm guessing, AMD will release a line that requires DDR2. Back end of this year perhaps.

Gaming wise the 3000+ Athlon 64 is definitely a match for the ~3.2GHz P4s (take a look at some benchmarks). And PCI Express motherboards for Athlon 64 are out. :thumbsup:

> The P4 does give better multitasking performance than the Athlon 64 because it supports Hyper-Threading (which makes it appear as two "logical" processors, so it can take two instruction streams simultaneously). Doesn't make a huge difference though (best case throughput increase is about 20% IIRC). Two logical processors aren't as good as two real ones :thumbsup:

Ahh.. I totally blanked on HT. Tho I honestly dont think much of it to be honest hence they it slipped my mind. As you said if you want real MPS get a MP rig. Tho IIRC amd is looking into their own ver of HT tech for the next gen FX line. So it apparently is catching on.

> Hyper-Threading is pretty much useless for games which hardly ever benefit from multiprocessing.

The software has to support it or it does not not take advantage of it. Similar to how something like SSE2 works.

> Gaming wise the 3000+ Athlon 64 is definitely a match for the ~3.2GHz P4s (take a look at some benchmarks). And PCI Express motherboards for Athlon 64 are out. :)

Bottom line is the AMD64 is a better designed/efficient CPU. Gets more work done in the same amount of time vs intel. I concede on high end multimedia editing intel still retains a edge from the benchmarks I have seen. But every generation of the AMD64 has been narrowing the gap bit by bit.

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

> Also, P4 gives better multitas.ing performance than an Athlon-64.

Really? first I heard of this. Have a link/where you read this?

Check any internet forum...

There are a million other sites, just look it up on google. Besides, its a well known fact that Athlon64 systems are for hard core gamers and are beaten when used in non-gaming applications.

> Besides, when Longhorn comes out, there will be better processors than Athlon-64 FX-55 which is why I'd settle with an Intel Xeon or P4 Solution.

That makes little sense. Your argument is dont bother to buy a current amd as it will be dated when xp64 comes out. Yet, then you say buy a intel. erm.. well a current intel WILL be dated too. Plus it WON'T have 64bit functionality.

What I'm saying is that you won't have much use for a 64bit processor these days because the large number of applications are all 32bit. I'm also saying that by the time Longhorn arrives on the scene, there will be better processors than an FX-55... Second of all, Intel now has 64 bit processors in the Xeon and P4 Series. They are known as the EM64Ts and for about 850 US, you can grab a 3.6 Xeon 64bit and I'd rather go for this as opposed to the AMD processors (even Opretron). If you think this is a bit too high, then you can go for a P4 EM64T processor or a slightly slower Xeon since 3.6GHz is the fastest they have.

Also, the Itanium and Itanium 2 were the first ever 64 bit processsors so don't go there...

There are a million other sites, just look it up on google. Besides, its a well known fact that Athlon64 systems are for hard core gamers and are beaten when used in non-gaming applications.

Athlons are not only for hardcore gamers. Since AMD released the first 64bit cpu for the mass marked, several firms use these processors now (like ILM to render SW:EPIII).

Intel wants their cpus to be for gamers as well because it means big business. It was always the gaming industrie and the gamers demand to get more powerful cpus.

While it is true that Intel cpus are slightly faster on other applications such as video and CAD etc. Athlon cpus are fast enough for that nowadays.

And what else except for gaming do you use your pc for D. Ni?

> Check any internet forum...

In other words you dont have a single link for a reputable site to back up your claim.. just as I though. Next.

> What I'm saying is that you won't have much use for a 64bit processor these days because the large number of applications are all 32bit.

And the AMD64 runs them JUST as good if not better as a strait p4 32 bit cpu. So for those looking for the future then the amd64 is the key. As irrelivant of the app/os it will run great. Over 200 s/w vendors have pleaged support for the amd64. Its only a matter of time now before 64bit s/w floods the market. Not a question of if but when.

> I'm also saying that by the time Longhorn arrives on the scene, there will be better processors than an FX-55...

In 6-12 months of course! thats true for ALL hardware.

> Second of all, Intel now has 64 bit processors in the Xeon and P4 Series. They are known as the EM64Ts and for about 850 US, you can grab a 3.6 Xeon 64bit and I'd rather go for this as opposed to the AMD processors (even Opretron).

First, intel hes realized they have to jump onboard the 32/64 bit cpu or amd will cleansweep the market it created. They are no longer leaders but followers on this level, trying to play catch up. As 12 months ago they were hell bent on saying the amd64 posed no thread and would be a niche market. So much for that theory as they are not tripping over themselves trying to get a 32/64 chip out using AMDs 64 bit instructions.

Second you need to educate yourself on this topic it seems. Your mixing and matching workstation, home user and server cpus. They are all different with all different user groups. You CAN'T compair a xeon, p4, amd64 and fx all in the same sentance. Its ignorant to do so.

> If you think this is a bit too high, then you can go for a P4 EM64T processor or a slightly slower Xeon since 3.6GHz is the fastest they have.

Whos talking server? were talking home user. Again your mixing and matching.

> Also, the Itanium and Itanium 2 were the first ever 64 bit processsors so don't go there...

Who said otherwise? BTW.. the itanium is in life support due to the fact it has very poor 32bit performance. AMD saw ppl needed a stepping stone to full 64bit and created the amd64.

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---

And the AMD64 runs them JUST as good if not better as a strait p4 32 bit cpu. So for those looking for the future then the amd64 is the key. As irrelivant of the app/os it will run great. Over 200 s/w vendors have pleaged support for the amd64. Its only a matter of time now before 64bit s/w floods the market. Not a question of if but when.

Show me examples. I'm not doubting you but if you'd post some examples, it would be more helpful than restating your point 1000 times and not giving any tangible proof...

You want proof that P4 is a better multitasker and is better in nongaming applications? Look no further than:

http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q4/athlo...55/index.x?pg=9

Read the whole article however and you will no doubt find the Athlon64 a better gamer than a P4 which is what I ORIGINALLY STATED. I believe that you need to educate yourself a bit more on the topic. :D

Second you need to educate yourself on this topic it seems. Your mixing and matching workstation, home user and server cpus. They are all different with all different user groups. You CAN'T compair a xeon, p4, amd64 and fx all in the same sentance. Its ignorant to do so.

I doubt you know a great deal about processors either. :thumbsup:

Yes, I know Xeon is a workstation processor which is why it is not commonly used for Home PCs. However, that doesn't mean you can't use it for home use, it just means it costs a lot. Alienware (Pricy...) sells Xeon processors with its ALX systems.

Second of all, I know that an Athlon64 vs a Pentium 4 for gaming always results in the Athlon64 winning. Its a high performance processor... Not only is the processor more expensive but getting a Socket 939 motherboard means you have to shell out an additional $100 - $200.

Also, the main reason that you'd buy an Athlon64 is because its a 64-bit processor. WHATS THE POINT OF BUYING ONE WHEN YOU CANT MAKE FULL USE OF IT??? I can get a decent P4 3.0GHz for $100 US. I can also get a 915/925 Motherboard from Asus for $150. If I wanted an Athlon system, I would have to pay $200 alone for the processor. Notice the price difference?

EDIT : Check out this site : http://techreport.com/reviews/2003q3/works...on/index.x?pg=1

> Show me examples. I'm not doubting you but if you'd post some examples, it would be more helpful than restating your point 1000 times and not giving any tangible proof...

isnt that the pot calling the kettle black? none the less..

SUNNYVALE, CA -- September 7, 2004 --AMD (NYSE: AMD) today announced software support from Novell, Red Hat and Sun for AMD64 multi-core technology and recommended ISVs license software applications by socket. This follows a recent demonstration of the industry

---

---

- Doreen Valiente

---

I just don't see the point of Athlon64. I really don't care too much anyways...

Besides, when you have a fully loaded system with everything, a $300 difference makes a biiiiig difference. Besides, I do other things than waste my life on the PC...

So then the point is...? Its a SERVER or HIGH end workstation class cpu. There no way you can be talking about a p4 and xeon or non-fx amd64 and xeon in the same sentance on a compariative level.

If a extra $100. is 'a lot' to you, might wanna move up from the frier to the checkout at mcdonalds 

In all seriousness for the extra $100 you get a heck of a lot more bang for your buck then a low end p4.

Price is the main difference and I'd rather pay $850 and get a 3.6 Xeon 64bit w/800FSB then purchase a $1200 AMD FX-55 or Operton processor. See the point? Try comparing an Athlon64 3000+ - 4000+ or even FX-51 and see which processor wins (Xeon or A64). Yes, I admit I am a budget gamer partly because I am saving up for university (UPENN is still a lot even w/ a 20k scholarship), the only reason I bought a new PC was to get rid of an old 350mhz

I know.. only been a system admin, pc tech, pc/server sales and went to college for electronics eng. I know nothing... 

Obviously :p

Try comparing an Athlon64 3000+ - 4000+ or even FX-51 and see which processor wins (Xeon or A64).

The Xeon is a dual processing enabled P4 with a different socket. Some Xeon CPUs have had a slower FSB than the matching P4 CPU and more Xeons than P4s have x86-64 support enabled (not an issue here since there are next to no x86-64 games). Otherwise, typically they're the same.

The Xeon MP is a multiprocessing enabled (4+-way) P4 and has a 2MB Level 3 cache (like the P4 Extreme Edition), typically also has a slower FSB than the P4 and is really expensive.

Compare Xeon (not Xeon MP, that would be silly because of the price gap) to equivalently priced Athlon 64 and for gaming and many other tasks the Athlon 64 will usually work out faster.

(Darth Ni @ Jan 9 2005, 05:28 PM)

Besides, its a well known fact that Athlon64 systems are for hard core gamers and are beaten when used in non-gaming applications.

And what else except for gaming do you use your intel pc for Darth Ni? There is no need for such a powerful system except for gaming. For numbercrunshing you don

Blind loyalty is for "the blind".

I will get whatever suits my needs the best, and whoever makes the maker the better product. If AMD makes the better product , I buy from AMD, if Intel made the better product, I buy from them. It's as simple as that.

It was a joke... Why would I waste my money on buying a product thats inferior? Its really stupid... Don't respond with "OOOOOHH because your stupid" because it just shows your childishness (not directed at a specific person so don't get offended ampulator).

AMD does not make the better product and neither does Intel for that matter. It all depends on what your needs are and, for my needs, I favour Intel. Its as simple as that (Yes it is).