Geforce 6600GT or Geforce 6800GT?

Funny :D .

I bought a 6600GT just yesterday. I'm replaying Kotor 1 some times, till I'll get TSL. It's awesome! I played Kotor 1 often, with nearly the lowest graphic (I had an GF MX 440), then I put this nice card into my AGP-Slot and thought: "Hey, why not the highest settings just for a try?" It worked!!! The graphic is brilliant!

A 6800GT will be a lot faster and is good for the newer Ego-Shooters(Doom 3, Half-Life 2), but costs a lot more of money. I would say, you should buy a 6600GT, it's very fast and costs less than the half of a 6800GT.

Apparently, they have put 2 6600GT GPUs on the same board. This gives a 60-70% better performance then the 6800 Ultra EE or the X850 XT PE. Its called the Gigabyte 3D1 card but its not out for sale yet. The price however is expected to be less than the 6800 Ultra EE or the X850 XT PE. The only thing that they've had a problem is that this card does not perform as well at higher resolutions than the Ultra EE or the XT PE...

http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20041216_115811.html

Apparently, they have put 2 6600GT GPUs on the same board. This gives a 60-70% better performance then the 6800 Ultra EE or the X850 XT PE.  Its called the Gigabyte 3D1 card but its not out for sale yet. The price however is expected to be less than the 6800 Ultra EE or the X850 XT PE. The only thing that they've had a problem is that this card does not perform as well at higher resolutions than the Ultra EE or the XT PE...

http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20041216_115811.html

It's 60-70% better performance than a single 6600GT card... (and about the same as two 6600GT cards in SLI configuration, since that's basically what that board is squishing onto one card)

I'd suggest that a single 6800GT will perform about the same and is likely to have fewer issues.

The 6800 is the 12 pipeline version, the 6800GT (and Ultra) have 16 pipelines. I have a 6800GT, they're well worth it, very shiny :thumbsup::)

It looks like the refreshes are rather underwhelming (certainly the X850 XT PE is unnoticeably better than the X800 XT PE); R520 et al aren't expected until 2H 2005, so don't hold your breath :)

I just bought a 6600gt and the performance is amazing. I had a gf3 ti 200 which have a fill rate of 200million polys/sec. The 6600gt has a fillrate of 3 or 4 billion (I forget which). I can max out eye candy on every game I have and its smooth as glass.

While the 6800 will prob get you another 12-18 months longer lifetime then the 6600gt you pay for it. For a $200. this is a top of the line, mid range card. I dont think ill need to upgrade again for another 2 yrs.

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

It's 60-70% better performance than a single 6600GT card... (and about the same as two 6600GT cards in SLI configuration, since that's basically what that board is squishing onto one card)

Thats incorrect because SLI gives a 100% increase in performance. This is the equivalent of SLI but on one card. Thus, if you connect 2 of these cards, you will get 4x better performance than 1 6600gt.

It also said that the card performs better than the 6800 Ultra and the X850 XT PE AT LOWER RESOLUTIONS.

Also, considering the fact that this card will be cheaper, I'd rather get it but only after a decent site gives it a good review.

Thats incorrect because SLI gives a 100% increase in performance. This is the equivalent of SLI but on one card. Thus, if you connect 2 of these cards, you will get 4x better performance than 1 6600gt.

It also said that the card performs better than the 6800 Ultra and the X850 XT PE AT LOWER RESOLUTIONS.

Also, considering the fact that this card will be cheaper, I'd rather get it but only after a decent site gives it a good review.

SLI theoretically gives a 100% performance increase. In practice it almost never reaches that figure. Looking at the various benchmarks SLI seems to usually give 60-70% in GPU limited situations.

The Pabster has only published a 3DMark score (which is marginally useful at the best of times). It's a nice high one but I suspect it paints the card in a better light than most games will -- there's no reason to expect it'll perform anything but identically to two single-GPU 6600GT cards, and in most benchmarks the dual 6600GT setup has lost out to single 6800GT/Ultra. So I'd say go for it if you can find it for less than a 6800GT card, but not otherwise.

I'd also expect this card to be more likely to have driver issues than a single-GPU card.

Can you really SLI two of them? That would be interesting o:)

The 6800GT has also 2(!) power-inputs! This thing sucks the electricity out of your PC. A 6600GT has just one and "only" needs a 350W.

Incorrect. It's the GF6800Ultra that has 2 power inputs. My GF6800GT just has the one.

And I'd say go for the GF6800GT. I got mine a few weeks ago and haven't regretted it a second. Try Half-Life 2 at 1600x1200 with 4x Anti Aliasing and 8x Anistophic Filtering on...Smooth as silk.

And KotOR doesn't look half bad at those setting either ;)

The 6800GT has also 2(!) power-inputs! This thing sucks the electricity out of your PC. A 6600GT has just one and "only" needs a 350W.

Incorrect. It's the GF6800Ultra that has 2 power inputs. My GF6800GT just has the one.

And I'd say go for the GF6800GT. I got mine a few weeks ago and haven't regretted it a second. Try Half-Life 2 at 1600x1200 with 4x Anti Aliasing and 8x Anistophic Filtering on...Smooth as silk.

And KotOR doesn't look half bad at those setting either ;)

Oh thanks, I learned something new. I've just seen cards with two inputs.

I don't think, that a 6800GT isn't as fast as a jet. But not everyone can afford over 300 Dollar or Euro, or some just don't want to. And what is it with those high-end-cards: They're not high-end in two months (thanks to a war bigger than sith vs jedi: ati vs nVidia). I remember the first graphic-card I bought, it was in the upper middle-class. Two weeks later it was much more cheaper...uargh >_< . A Voodoo 3 I think.

But hey, everyone who can afford it, feel free to do so ;) .

I just think, they get cheaper as fast as they compute, so why buy high-class, if you can get it cheaper in some weeks or months? Middle-class doesn't hurts your finances that much and you can invest your saved money into RAM or something in this way.

get which ever one fits your budget...

but your FX5600 ultra will run it fine kotor 2 isn't really a graphic intense game...actually far from it by todays standards.