Do You Think Obsidian Has Done A Good Job On K2?

Hello There, :unsure:

I haven't got the game yet till Feb next year but here is a question for all you guys and gals to answer who have played the game.

Cheero

Bastilla Skywalker

:devil:

Well, they certainly haven't done a bad job, though I'd argue that LucasArts QA department dropped the ball with the technical issues/glitches many Xboxers are having.

Bugs aside, to accurately judge KotOR 2's value you have to go into the game understanding that for all its similarities with the original, it truly is a different beast all together. Most of what is different seems to spawn from the developers' different perspectives as to what makes a good Star Wars story.

I like Obsidian's take on the Sith and the Dark Side in general far more than Bioware's. You can do some truly evil things, not thuggish evil things, but Vader-style gleeful evil things. With the implementation of the Influence system (which I personally believe was done as well as it could be), you can manipulate, lie and corrupt all those around you in as realistic a style as you're going to get in a video game. I actually felt dirty after playing through the first time as a DS character, and that's really saying something--after all, I was the kid rooting for Vader and the Empire to crush out all hope and resistance in the universe.

To really achieve a good appreciation of the game, you need to play it twice, once light, once dark, and really pay attention to all the dialogue. Explore every dialogue tree, and put some thought into what you're hearing. The story is far more complicated then the original's, which seems to be turning some younger players off. Some like the cut and dry good and evil of KotOR 1. I prefer the sequel's darker more philosophical feel. Everything is gray. You can't really trust anyone, especially if you're DS. I think it portrays what it would feel like to be a Sith Lord quite accurately.

Of course that said, Sith Lords just shouldn't die so easily. Except for the last battle, I was cutting through Sion and Nihilius like butter. The cutscenes were interesting, but man, Sith Lords should go down with more of a fight.

I think IGN got it right when they said KotOR 2's parts are greater than the whole on the subject of plot. Knights 2 raises many interesting questions, launches into several interesting sidequests, all the while, juggling what at first appears to be a very deep story arch. Problem is, it looks like in the end Obsidian just lost steam, and didn't follow through with all those spiffy sidequests. Some are simply never explained. I can buy a few mysteries left unresolved (this is Star Wars, afterall), but I would have liked more closure at the end, which, as many people have pointed out, is sorely missing. And I thought the ending of KotOR 1 was brief. :devil:

But I digress. As a whole, yes I think Obsidian did do a respectable job with Knights 2. Certain tech issues and a handful of semi-irritating plot holes could have been ironed out with more time, but that probably falls on the publisher's shoulders. Not making excuses for Obsidian, but overall, yes, they did a good job with the license. Aside from one major reocurring game freeze, I thoroughly enjoyed the game. It could have been better, yes, but it certainly wasn't bad. I can't decide if I enjoyed it more than the original. Really, I think I just enjoyed it in a -different- way. :unsure:

from what I read around for people who have played the game, your allies you could say are your enemies as well, but they have no choice but too conbine with you.

It's like you have to watch your back all the time to make sure Atton isn't stabbing you in the back at all. Can't wait to get the game as I am gonig to save the galaxy first round then destroy it :unsure:

Check out the "Filling in Plot Holes" thread...it answers a lot of questions.

Nihilus is supposed to be easy due to a reason that can be figured out if you think about it, but I think I'd agree about Sion...

Overall seems good to me. Keep in mind I watched a friend play through a fair bit of the game and I too am waiting for the PC version.

I don't know. The game is certainly inferior to the first one, even though the ambitions are higher.

I'm annoyed by the constant bugs and glitches, underdeveloped NPC's, blatant disrespect for the original's story in the Chronicles, the boring fights with Nihilus, Sion and

Traya

and the ending. Don't know who to blame for all these points though, Obsidian or Lucasarts. LA might very well be to blame for all of them.

I can think of two specific instances where you can do really wicked things that made me go, "Ooooo..." They're spoilerific though, so be forewarned. Here are two small instances...

On Nar Shaddaa you come across a gang of Exchange thugs trying to extort money from some random guy. You can Force Persuade the thugs to give you all their money and go jump off a cliff (more or less). You can then murder the guy who you just saved from being extorted. :D The really evil thing is one thug remarks if he jumps off the ledge that'll be a good thing, because he'll get to the ground faster. Now that's just wicked.

Here's another quick instance that Vader would be proud of. If you have Disciple in your party, you can actually Force Choke him in the middle of a dialogue tree. That's priceless, to me anyway.

Hello There, :(

I haven't got the game yet till Feb next year but here is a question for all you guys and gals to answer who have played the game.

Cheero

Bastilla Skywalker

:p

Not really. They tried to do too much, and ended up muffing everything up in the end. It's just like starting/running your own business. Do you want to do a few things at an excellent level, or do you want to do a lot of stuff at an average or below level? KOTOR 2 fell into option #2...

• 2 months later...

They did pretty good, given the time they had. Of course, that's not much comfort for the players. There are some flaws that I woulnd't be so quick to blame on the time they had, though.

It's a decent game, could've been much better.

Obsidian did a great job. All and all, the game is a good one, and as a sworn fan of Planescape: Torment, I bless the touch of Obsidian on K2. :lol:

The game has the potential to be better though, but LucasArts had to screw things up because they want money. <_<

I think they were doing well until it was released....

As is I find KOTOR 2 a rather not-memorable game that was a good simple 1-2 time play rpg. Not great like KOTOR 1. I say this not because of the glitches but because of the gaping plot holes left because of the christmas release.

Obsidian did a find job.

LA didn't.

imo they made an awesome job with TSL

i really enjoyed it, much more than KOTOR1

is sad that the game could have been better if it where no rushed, but even in its current state i think is one of the best rpg i played.

I was more then satisfied overall withthe game. Its just too bad that Lucas Arts couldn't let Obsidian finsih the game. Publishers need to take a hands off approach on developers so they can actually put out a game that is worth playing from beginning to end.

I had more fun than with the original. Bugs, and a few wtf-moments in the ending aside, the content is far more interesting than in the previous game. Although I've never been a fan of the sort of overall hub and spokes structure for games, they made it far more interesting than just the star maps in the previous. As far as the gameplay goes, it is fairly easy and the rules start to seem a little cluttered, but the new stuff you can do is fun and offsets a lot of that. The one thing is though that ranged weapons, including mira's rockets, which actually kinda suck, still are far inferior, so you'll rarely want to use them, though maybe I just haven't fiddled with the feats enough, because there are various things to add to accuracy. The evil options are a lot better too. Still a bit on the side of petty thugery, but much improved.

Btw, I'd figured you'd be the first to get it. Why you waiting a year?

*edit* i never had a gamestopping bug, just some annoying ones. having to downgrade drivers, the frame buffer effects not working, and sometimes the sound going out for cutscenes.

Yes. Obsidian did a great job. KoTOP os still my favorite, as is Revan. However I cannot deny that this game has interesting concespts. The death of the force; losing the Force? Considering this was a year's worth of development, they did a bang-up job. The cut-content really hurt them with the fans. But I'm sure the fully developed version may have swayed my vote to KoTOR 2. I'll never know.

This is my first Obsidian game, and only my fourth RPG game. So my opinion probably means squat to you vets. :D

The FINAL KoToR 2 would`ve been simply breathtaking...not a poor job on an almost Beta either

And yes,IMO the blame is to be placed on LucasArts`s shoulders and not Obsidian for really forcing them to release a Beta on the market(missing a whole planet which they said it was cut and almost no ending counts for me as Beta)

Great job on what was really made how it should`ve been done..too bad the most important part couldn`t be implemented(HK`s saga and the ending we would`ve loved to see)

Pleasant playing though...coming from a guy who is VERY pretentious of his games :wub:

I think they did an excellent job. It does have its flaws but neverthless it's still very fun. Heck! I've been playing the game non-stop since I bought it and I'm on my 3rd way through it. I also think that it has better replayability than the first one.

As already mentioned, the Sith Lords should have been more difficult to defeat.

More planets to explore would also add to the enjoyment.