System Requirements for the PC version

It's less than 2 months away from the proposed PC release date and the main site still doesn't have the system specs listed on the game info section yet.

Obsidian, do you guys know what the specs are yet? Or is that up to Lucasarts to come up with once they've got their hands on it?

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I don't think they will be much higher than the specs for KotOR 1. The reason I say this is because they are still using the same game engine and are only updating and adding a few new textures. There won't be a dramatic graphics improvment in K2. That's not needed though since K1 had great graphics. Ofcourse, they are a year old now but they still look good.

As was said before, they are using the old engine and thus system requirements should be similar and at worst only slightly higher. Minor tweaks have been made (such as more characters being present on screen) but otherwise everything should remain largely similar.

HOWEVER, the Xbox version is not a good sign as to the level of performance we should expect. The exact same thing can be said of the Xbox (and even more so given the fact that it should have far more optimizations) and TSL has proven to be far more buggy and jumpy in terms of performance. I dearly hope the same issues do not hold true for the PC version.

And should they do, LA BETTER let Obsidian patch the game. They already dropped support for KotOR1 when it had many issues remaining.

I think the original HW was better. I pay much more attention to storyline than graphics. HW's storyline was captivating and nothing like it had ever been done before. Also, the storyline was complemented by an excellent choice of music and excellent integration of it into the game. Besides, for HW's time, those graphics were incredible. It also introduced amazing new features such as the sensor array, the hyperspacing ability, the 3d attacks etc.

Yeah, HW2 wasn't revolutionary, but in terms of gameplay I'm not sure how much you can follow up on something like HW with major changes. It's fairly stable now at least, just some lockup issues with the server browser though. If they would have had a good story instead of that bizarre holy trinity of hyperspace cores craziness it would have been great. The design and the coolness still transcended that in parts though, like when you first encounter the keeper. That was as cool as the garden of kadesh, though mostly for the music and that eyeball looking prow. Multiplayer seems better differentiated in factions, though I'm not very good. Apparently a Vagyr BC if used very carefully can destroy a Higgy pretty fast.

I largely agree with Naso. Homeworld 1 was completely revolutionary at its time is and still large unsurpassed. I honestly think that Homeworld 2 was a very solid sequel. The gameplay and story may not have been as new and fresh as the original, but then again I thought it would be difficult to top the original. I thought some elements of the scale, gameplay, music, and story was actually better. I guess I'm the rare believer that the sequel was better than the first in most respects. Doesn't mean however, it was a classic like the first was however.

Man, if only they hadn't been high when they wrote that story......

The game is getting some VERY mixed reactions. It's become clear that it's a "you need to play it to understand" type of thing

Anyways, I think it will be a early Feb release, as Rep Commando is early early March. Plus February 8, 2005 is the date the online stores have almost all been showing recently @ $49.99. A reduced price, like lots of pc version of games get, would have been nice tho.

Oh, sorry, I was talking about the Homeworld 2 story.... I mean, it wouldn't have been great, and the whole suddenly we have only these three long-jump capable ships in the galaxy thing still would have completely contradicted the previous games and everything seen in the universe, but with like 5-10 minutes more of expository dialog they could have at least made the story make sense. The holes would not have been that hard to fix. Still, a great game though. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Just make sure you patch before entering mission 12 with a maxed out fleet......

The date I heard was 11th February.

And what was the original topic? o:)

If you could play KotOR without any problems then TSL should be fine. Mind you, its been over a year now, so probably time to upgrade with the Xmas sales.

:) Bring on that 64-bit processor :)