KOTOR II: from the eyes of a Star Wars FANATIC

ok, I just completed KOTOR II.

Took me about 32 hours to complete it.

Hats off to Obsidian for a valiant effort in designing the sequel to a masterpiece (KOTOR I).

The game has some cool function in it. The prestige classes, multi jewel light sabers, the transit function, lightsaber forms, the save feature that filters by character name is impressive.

If development was given more TIME, this could have been a VERY VERY good game.

But, on a scale from 1 - 10

1 being Driver3

10 being Fable or KOTOR 1,

I give this game a 6.5

Here's my review FROM A PROGRAMMERS PERSPECTIVE:

The game felt UNFINISHED.

The ending was rushed and too cryptic.

It feels like the developers were in a rush to get a product to market in time for the Christmas bonanza.

ex:

The combat engine does damage calculations with a delay in the turn (this is problematic if you are deciding on whether to use a medpack or a critical strike)

The new function that was built into the game engine wasn't completely tested and thus there's a alot of performance issues.

(try to use Force Wave in a room full of baddies,not pretty)

The level design was uninspired.

(Peragus, Telos and the surface of Malachor V were VERY boring)

The dialogue was weak and, in the end, the answers to the most important questions are unmoving.

The journal is not very helpful.

(although I liked the new filter options)

I personally found about 20 easy to fix bugs in my first 10 hours of play.

In conclusion, this game was designed with a KOTOR III in mind. They left us hanging on some key plot points in hopes that all the loose ends can be tied up in a part 3. BAD CHOICE

Uh...having read that you put Fable at 10 leaves me to believe you are simply mad.  :)

lawlz -- AGREED! :rolleyes:

KOTOR is a 9.5 for me, due to lack of polish and graphical mind-melting, but no game is perfect, imho. And FABLE? As much as I enjoyed it, I couldn't give it more than an 8.5....I happen to love the dialogue in this game, as well as the story so far. Not to mention the characters and cameos! It's my personal RPG GotY.....runner-up being SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI: Nocturne.

FROM A STAR WARS FANATIC PERSPECTIVE:

It feels like the writers of the story didnt understand the Star Wars universe.

And they sure as hell didnt play and beat KOTOR I.

ex:

They never explain Yuthura Ban and what happened to her on Korriban/Dantooine

They never explain how a certain famous Jedi can just show up with Carth on Telos (she's a Jedi isnt she?)

KOTOR I was structured like a Star Wars movie.

From the opening battle scene above Taris to the ending celebration on the lost world.

KOTOR II is structured in an erratic format that I did not enjoy.

KOTOR I taught us something new about the Jedi. On Dantooine, we go through the training of a Padawan and we learn what it is like to train and become a Jedi.

KOTOR II

doesnt provide any new revelations about the Jedi.

KOTOR I gives us insight into the mind of a Sith. The conversations we have with Yuthura Ban and Master Uthar on Korriban elucidate how a Sith can justify their doctrine.

The best KOTOR II can do is tell us that we havent met the true Sith yet.

Each planet in KOTOR I had a fascinating storyline.

Taris: The racist rich in thier skyscrapers are destroyed, leaving the underclass, the undercity dwellers to inherit the planet

Korriban: We are indoctrinated into Sith teachings. (my favorite planet)

Kashykk: The wookies are enslaved in the name of corporate greed, and we lead a revolution on the planet

Tantooine: We learn about the Sand People and thier mythology

KOTOR II has no such allegories, just the run of the mill stories.

Most of the characters were uninteresting.

Atris, Kreia, Atton, the handmaiden, the disciple, Mira, the remaining Jedi Masters, all had nothing to add to the story, only useless cryptic babble.

Kreia:

"I know why the Exile did what he did"

what did he do?

Kreia:

"He did that which changed the galaxy"

what did he do?

Kreia:

"echoes in the force"

I personally liked Visas and Bao Dur, but thats just me.

The Influence function was useless, there was no stat or quantitative number that we could use to gauge its effectiveness.

conclusion:

The writers of the story didnt understand the Star Wars mythos, they didnt understand the Bioware contribution, and thus they have submitted a game with good intentions, but poor implementation.

Uh...having read that you put Fable at 10 leaves me to believe you are simply mad.  :)

lawlz -- AGREED! :rolleyes:

KOTOR is a 9.5 for me, due to lack of polish and graphical mind-melting, but no game is perfect, imho. And FABLE? As much as I enjoyed it, I couldn't give it more than an 8.5....I happen to love the dialogue in this game, as well as the story so far. Not to mention the characters and cameos! It's my personal RPG GotY.....runner-up being SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI: Nocturne.

Fable is a well put together game.

Few glitches, great graphics, using Frecoes to tell the story was brilliant.

The story was very good and the ending answered all relevant questions .

I think the storyline is good...not as great as it could have been with a little more time, but as another Star Wars 'Fanatic' it works for me...I badmouthed it my first run through as DS..but playing again as LS answered alot of questions for me..you really have to have the influence system worked out to get all the answers. And if you've read the Star Wars TOTJ comics, then you'd know that the real Sith Empire does exist.

I think the storyline is good...not as great as it could have been with a little more time, but as another Star Wars 'Fanatic' it works for me...I badmouthed it my first run through as DS..but playing again as LS answered alot of questions for me..you really have to have the influence system worked out to get all the answers. And if you've read the Star Wars TOTJ comics, then you'd know that the real Sith Empire does exist.

I have beaten the game LS with influence over Viasas, the Handmaiden, and Boa Dur.

I talked to all of them repeatedly and nothing new came of it.

The HK unit from the hawk gave me no new info.

Atris was a pointless character that we could have done without.

Your point about TOTJ comics is my point exactly:

KOTOR II tells us nothing new about the Sith or the Jedi.

and if I hear the word "echo" one more time out of this bloody game......

Fable ending wasn't very good. It was fun to play for 7 hours :rolleyes: Lets you know the hardest part of make KOTOR 2 was because manythings could have happen in KOTOR.

Yuthura Ban could be dead or lived.

They certain Jedi could have been a sith (w00t) or not a jedi at all.

You learn something about the force and why the Jedi order was flawed. You learn why it was so easy for a jedi to fall.

I think the game would have worked better if it loaded a save game from KOTOR.

I hope its a set up to KOTOR 3 maybe we'll learn where the first jedi or sith came from. Or maybe a new force group who think love is important. :)

I would give the Game 8.5 just because of the bugs. 9.0 if the bugs were fixed.

SPOILERS

Ha...the echo thing IS something new about the Jedi...hence the importance of your character. I actually like this. I agree that I wish the dialouge trees were more like KOTOR..

hearing stories and having conversations galore. Think of this game like a middle part of a story...because I think that's it's purpose. The entire point of the story was for your character to discover himself and face his past so that he can be ready for what's to come. That was Kreia's purpose...to build you up to be strong enough for the unknown terrors awaiting beyond the edge of known space.

Fable ending wasn't very good. It was fun to play for 7 hours :rolleyes: Lets you know the hardest part of make KOTOR 2 was because manythings could have happen in KOTOR.

Yuthura Ban could be dead or lived.

They certain Jedi could have been a sith (w00t) or not a jedi at all.

You learn something about the force and why the Jedi order was flawed. You learn why it was so easy for a jedi to fall.

I think the game would have worked better if it loaded a save game from KOTOR.

I hope its a set up to KOTOR 3 maybe we'll learn where the first jedi or sith came from. Or maybe a new force group who think love is important. ;)

I would give the Game 8.5 just because of the bugs. 9.0 if the bugs were fixed.

I wont defend Fable anymore, hey if you dont like it, fine.

you say that Yuthura could be dead, there shoudn't be a 'could' be.

They refer to her in KOTOR II on Korriban, but they were too lazy to follow through with a clear explanation.

That certain Jedi was CERTAINLY a jedi and a VERY important part of the first game. To have her role reduced is fine: JUST EXPLAIN IT to the audience.

We already know that the Jedi Order is/was flawed. Arrogance and corruption we pointed out by Jolee Bindo in the KOTOR I.

An import from KOTOR I would have been nice, but it wouldnt have been a cure all for all the ills that this game suffers from.

SPOILERS

Ha...the echo thing IS something new about the Jedi...hence the importance of your character. I actually like this. I agree that I wish the dialouge trees were more like KOTOR..hearing stories and having conversations galore. Think of this game like a middle part of a story...because I think that's it's purpose. The entire point of the story was for your character to discover himself and face his past so that he can be ready for what's to come. That was Kreia's purpose...to build you up to be strong enough for the unknown terrors awaiting beyond the edge of known space.

I see what you are saying, but its a bit of a cop out.

Each game in a series should be a good game stand alone as well.

We shouldn't need a KOTOR III to answer all of the quesitons of KOTOR II.

KOTOR II should be able to answer all of its mysteries within the 30+ hours we are playing it.

Also, the allegiance of Kreia is SO OBVIOUS. I think that having her as your mentor wouldnt make sense if you are gonna follow a certain path.

If raven was on the dark side she would be a sith. :D KOTOR what happens to your group? nothing is said.

KOTOR 2 you know what will happen to your party. You know where you are going. You know what you will do. everyone are getting different stories because we are all make different choices.

They where planning on making third game while making this.(Note plans might have changed) The story to big to put in one game. I still think the games better then the new movies.

If raven was on the dark side she would be a sith. :D KOTOR what happens to your group? nothing is said.

KOTOR 2 you know what will happen to your party. You know where you are going. You know what you will do. everyone are getting different stories because we are all make different choices.

They where planning on making third game while making this.(Note plans might have changed) The story to big to put in one game. I still think the games better then the new movies.

At the end of KOTOR, we have a celebration, the Jedi Civi war is over.

My "group" has completed an epic journey and now is the time to rest and revitalize.

At the end of KOTOR II, we have a mess. The dialogue is too "Matrix- like". Doesn't answer all my questions. Where are the HK's beign built? Who is this GoT0? How did Kreia escape from her apprentice?

Then there is Atris and the holocrons. how could she not know how they would affect her?

Then there is Malachor V. What exactly happened there. How did Bao-Durs generator afftect the final battle of the Mandelorian wars?

also,

is Darth Nihilus the most overly hyped Sith Lord of them all?

I get this speech from the colonel about how Nihilus only sees stars and planets.

Then I get this speech from Visas telling me to prepare myself for the battle of my life, I go in there and take him out with three shots from my blade?

what happened?

In KOTOR I, we have an epic battle aboard the Star Forge, Dark Jedi coming out from all sides.

In KOTOR II, we have space beasts and easy to kill Sith Maradurs at the academy

not good

You fight some sith lords also in the academy.

I think Darth Nihilus you should have fought with sword. You would think when you use your force he would get stronger and drain you.

Darth Nihlius tried to drain u'r force but he couldn't. Its u'r character who drained his force.

Uh...having read that you put Fable at 10 leaves me to believe you are simply mad.  :geek:

lawlz -- AGREED! :(

Fable is a well put together game.

Few glitches, great graphics, using Frecoes to tell the story was brilliant.

The story was very good and the ending answered all relevant questions .

How the hell could you ever say that fable had a good story and the ending really didn't answer anything, I mean o got the sword took over the land thats it doesnt answer for very much there bud! and if you're giving kotor 2 a 6.5 you might as well give fable a 1! :D

Where is the bell, wait for the bell, k i need the bell, wait the bell! Ding bonda dong! Ding bonda dong! Ding bonda dong! Ding bonda dong!

Kazic wants you.... to join the pinkside!

Please!

Use spoilertags!

Start your post with [spoiler and end it with[/spoiler. Close the tags with ]

Indeed, stop ruining the game for those who haven't gotten it yet.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy