what is going on with the oakland a's?

NeverwinterKnight

Certainly the most bizarre trade Beane has made since John Mabry - Jeremy Giambi.

Meanwhile...I'll just chalk this one up to fatigue and when I wake up tomorrow morning, I'll laugh this off. I MUST be going through some weird dream.

Meanwhile, while I'm consumed within my wierd dreamlike trance, I'll rationalize this trade by telling myself that they're trying to get younger, cheaper, and more flexible while still fielding a quality product.

Afterall, their W-L record has been going down for the last three years, and they failed to make the playoff for the first time in years.

But nah...it don't matter. I'm still dreaming. Of the big three, I would have expected Zito to be the first one gone. And certainly not BOTH Hudson AND Mulder. Definitely dreaming.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Hmmm. It really happened.

"It's crazy, isn't it? But I think from all our past experience with Billy, I have undying faith in his ability to do what's best, This game is a business and we're reminded of that more than ever. I'm still here at this point and I'm excited for next spring. It's kind of comical at this point (trading two top starters), but I guess the guys we picked up are kind of like the Big Three all over again.'' -Barry' Zito's spin.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

Billy Beane looks at talent vs. cost. The vaulted pitching trio hasn't won any championships for the A's, yet their perceived market value is high. Instead of getting trapped in high dollar contracts (like the Yankees), Beane will probably go after much cheaper up and comming players like he has done for years.

From what ESPN has said those three are all quality guys.

Miss what's going on in the clubhouse, lol, you arnt in the chicagoland area, everything the cubs do ends up on tv, radio, or paper. Sosa leaving games early, players calling up the broadcasters booth (because they dont like how the broadcaster is criticizing their play). May just be hear, but its crazy.

From what I gather, the big three are all well liked by management, fans, and players alike.

Beane sees success in cycles and that he's seeing the tail end of this particular success cycle. Rather than delay the inevitable decline for another year, he made a pre-emptive move to strengthen his future pitching staff. But it's still a very competetive ball club.

He turned last season's weakness (bullpen) into a strength. The offense looks better on paper. He is taking a gamble on the rotation, but it is a good gamble. The odds are stacked in his favor for success. It's a young and unproven staff, but they do have the minor league numbers and short big league success that says that these guys are for real. Also, Beane has faith in his farm system. He is an excellent evaluator of talent and believes in the training regimen employed by the A's farm system. Plus they have the track record to back it up.

But it would be hard for them to catch up with Anaheim in 05.

Beane's a smart guy.  Theo Epstein wishes he was Beane.

Well...considering that Epstein was choice #4 for John Henry.

Behind Billy, JP Ricciardi, and Paul Depodesta. (hmmm...all Oakland guys....)