Who Do You Think Should Make KOTOR III?

Hello! (w00t)

Who Do You Think Should Make KOTOR III? Do you agree that Obsidian or Bioware or another company should make KOTOR III or do you think Obsidian and Bioware should join forces and make KOTOR III together what is your opinions?

Cheero

Bastilla Skywalker

(w00t)

Ask again in February :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

With all, the positive reviews, and despite all the bugs I hav been hearing that this game has, it was all down to a tight dead line, so it can be forgiven.

Obsidian by a country mile or two.

Though I will hav a better opinion in Feb, when I hav it for my PC, I believe I will still say Obsidian.

I would have to say obsidian. If they had a decent timeline to make the game in I'm sure it would far surpass both KOTOR and KOTOR2. Now this is just an idea and I have no clue if it could work, but why not make KOTOR3 a 2 disk game. Like the oldschool playstation games. Maybe throw in an extra planet or 3. It might make some of the bugs go away by not cramming so much info on 1 disk. o:)

Hello! (w00t)

Who Do You Think Should Make KOTOR III? Do you agree that Obsidian or Bioware or another company should make KOTOR III or do you think Obsidian and Bioware should join forces and make KOTOR III together what is your opinions?

Cheero

Bastilla Skywalker

(w00t)

Join forces? Laf

How about neither develop it? Because its not in development right now. Nobody is working on K3. Why is everyone assuming there will be a third?

To answer your question, Bioware > Absurdian

But that won't happen. For a bad a** game coming in a couple of months, check out Bioware's 'Jade Empire'.

- dr cloak

With all, the positive reviews, and despite all the bugs I hav been hearing that this game has, it was all down to a tight dead line, so it can be forgiven.

Obsidian by a country mile or two.

Though I will hav a better opinion in Feb, when I hav it for my PC, I believe I will still say Obsidian.

I would have to say obsidian.  If they had a decent timeline to make the game in I'm sure it would far surpass both KOTOR and KOTOR2.

*ahcoobullshachoo* Sorry had to sneeze there. Seeing as Obsidian started development well before KoToR finished and most of the bugs reported thus far are the similar to the ones in KoToR and that the PC version after the first patch was relatively bug free. It seems more of a case of ignoring the bugs and they will go away. Before the split they had moved the PC and Xbox versions up to December and then shortly after the PC got pushed back to Feb. So it really doesn't sound like it got rushed.

That said I'll have to wait till Febuary to say one or the other. I just get irratated when people start making excuese for companies. People wonder why there are 3 times as many buggy releases lately.

It seems more of a case of ignoring the bugs and they will go away.  Before the split they had moved the PC and Xbox versions up to December and then shortly after the PC got pushed back to Feb.  So it really doesn't sound like it got rushed.

No, originally, both PC and X-box versions were planned for releases on February. So, X-box version was released earlier than the original plan becuase of the request from the publisher.

As for the bugs...

The framerate issues aren't really related to graphics at all. The problem is caused by all of the other systems throughout the game engine that are running. Creature AI updates, script execution, combat AI, etc. All those things take up CPU time and make it slower for the game engine to complete '1 loop' so that it can render the next frame. Which is why you'll probably find the slowest framerates in combat.

The trouble with framerates is a side effect of using what was essentially a PC game engine on a console. PC engines tend to be written with convenience and flexibility in mind. But the side effect of this 'designer friendly' approach is that the game is slower. Data is stored as strings more than binary data, and string compares are rampant throughout the code, which are overly expensive (CPU-wise) operations compared to alternative approaches.

Console-specific engines tend to be written a lot tighter. They tend to be far more memory efficient and clockcycle efficient. To solve these problems in KotOR2, we would have to have rewritten a lot of the engine, which the timeline for the project did not allow for. And even still, we made amazing improvements over many of the systems, it's just that we then turned around and pushed the systems harder than they had been pushed before.

Early on in the project, we roughly doubled the average framerate of KotOR1, but then added a lot more stuff to the areas and the framerate went back down. We're also loading roughly 2 to 3 times the data per area load that KotOR1 loaded, but we were able to speed the loading process up enough that the load times are roughly equivalent to KotOR1. If we were loading KotOR1 levels with our changes, the load times would have been much faster.

Most of the time, we considered KotOR1 the 'as bad as we can let it get' in terms of load times and framerates, then kept adding content to areas until the game slowed down to roughly the KotOR1 performance, figuring that was a safe baseline to operate from.

-Akari

Just for corrections.

I am gonna have to go completely opposite, Kotor 2 was more in depth with the story as far as history and plotline go, but the only character who really had that much depth was Kreia. I think bioware did a better job with creating depth for the npc s. Thats why i agree that a dual developing would be nice albeit doubtful.

It is a shame they could not coordinate (OB and Bioware). Have Bioware make a new game engine and OB design the game concept dialogs and such. Dont get me wrong I loved KOTOR 1 but 2 seemed to have more depth with the characters.

Bioware has designed a new game engine. Its a 2nd generation engine that blows their old engine away. It even has accurate cloth physics. This engine will be used in their upcoming RPG of course.

- dr cloak

No, originally, both PC and X-box versions were planned for releases on February.  So, X-box version was released earlier than the original plan becuase of the request from the publisher.

It's been awhile so I can't remember where I read it, but there was a quote from either obsidian or LA in an interview saying that both would be out by Christmas. Just shortly later there was the official announcement that the Xbox version would be out in December and the PC version would hit some time in Feb. It's possible someone said something they shouldn't, but I trust the sorces I would have gotten it from as they could get suede for things like that. :o

:ph34r: Because of publisher deadlines? :ph34r:

No it's call why fix it now when we can sell it now and patch it later. See PC version of SWBattlefront.

Bioware has designed a new game engine. Its a 2nd generation engine that blows their old engine away. It even has accurate cloth physics. This engine will be used in their upcoming RPG of course

And why Bioware didn't let Obsidian use this new engine in KOTOR 2?

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

Bioware has designed a new game engine. Its a 2nd generation engine that blows their old engine away. It even has accurate cloth physics. This engine will be used in their upcoming RPG of course

And why Bioware didn't let Obsidian use this new engine in KOTOR 2?

Because it's not done yet. And it's a real time engine.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Well then let's all hope that Bioware will design engine and Obsidian storyline, for KOTOR III that should be released in mid 2007 at the earliest. :o

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

I'd like to see both do the story. But I'm worried about the next game regardless who does it. The story has grown complicated now, with this NEW THREAT. I see the KOTOR series as a possible Thrilogy but can all this stuff that has been told in both games be rapped up in the next? I mean this new threat(which i believe is True Sith or something) will only be the main enemy for ONE game.

I just hope the next game is as Epic as Epic can be.

KOTOR 2 must be completed