Regarding Playing off the Hard Drive

Akari

Many users have modded their XBox to allow them to dump games to their hard drive. Unfortunately, the changes this has on the load time will result in unpredictable behavior and many cutscenes may break as a result.

Bugs most often caused by playing off the hard drive include:

Fading to black but then never coming out of black.

Crashing while an area loads.

While both of the above bugs may also happen on games that are not being played off the Hard Drive, playing off the DVD legitimately will greatly reduce their frequency.

-Akari

I'm not sure weather or not to blame bioware or obsidian, but relying on the timing of loading from media sounds like a recipe for failure to me. Luckily my DVD drive reads at the right speed i guess. Perhaps this is why users with older/(dusty) xboxs have trouble? reading to slowly?

Many users have modded their XBox to allow them to dump games to their hard drive. Unfortunately, the changes this has on the load time will result in unpredictable behavior and many cutscenes may break as a result.

Bugs most often caused by playing off the hard drive include:

Fading to black but then never coming out of black.

Crashing while an area loads.

While both of the above bugs may also happen on games that are not being played off the Hard Drive, playing off the DVD legitimately will greatly reduce their frequency.

-Akari

Thanks for the heads up Akari.

Well most modders don't use xbox HDD. I played the game off my HDD it worked great.

Does the DVD drive matter I know the thomas drive is crap with alot of games. Halo 2 comes to mind. I can barely load that game on my virgin box.

WTF......izzit the Xbox or what?

I didn't have single issue with HALO 2, besides graphical pop-up during in-game cutscenes (in 480P, the textures would overlay at the last second)....no problems yet with KOTOR2. Well, besides rough-edges and loading screens....

People playing from the harddrive are probably pirating the game. And if it doesn't work for them, oh well. Pirating is bad enough, but you don't pirate from a start-up RPG house. That's triple bad karma.

I've considered moving the game to my HDD simply because I have a Thompson DVD drive and I was getting a lot of disc read errors, but I cleaned the optics and I seem to be doing better now.

I too own all my games. I modded my uk xbox so that it could output high def, like us xboxes. It also lets me play games like KOTOR II, which haven't been released in Europe. I have also copied my games to the hard drive, so I don't have to change disks everytime I try a different game, and also to speed up loading times. As Xeric said, to rely on the timing of loading from media is very poor, especially since it affects std xboxes as well as modded ones.

• 2 months later...
Plus all the modding being done to games inculding KOTOR. thumbsup.gif

Are you saying that you have successfully created mods for your XBOX version of the game? If so ... how? And where did you get the mods? :huh:

"Learn to harness your anger and control your fear. Dominate your emotions! But do not let them overcome you; for they can surely cause you to fall to the dark side.

If you expect to win against a Sith then you need to fight like a Sith! If you do not, you will always be met with defeat."

-- Jedi Master Seraphis Dakari

You would think that one of the key selling points of the X-Box, the freaking hard drive, would be fully tested. Who the hell do you guys doing your QA? Kebler elves? Hey, are we going to have the same problem withthe PC version too? Wouldn't surprise me.

- yeah but the original xbox hard drive was designed purely to hold save game files, you cant honestly expect to have the game work perfectly when...

a) the drive would be at least half full

b) its a small, older drive

c) kotor is a brand new game that for the most part only just runs on the xbox as it is.

surely if you were gonna mod ya xbox youd shove in a larger faster drive to boot. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Col. O'Neil

i was looking around online and noticed that hundreds are modding the xbox. i read through some atricles on 'how to' and i found it seems like a risk. why would anyone want to take a chance to mod their xbox if they know there is a possibility in destroying it? <_<