A veteran PRG player's first and last take on TSL

What? a negative review with credibility to it? That's rare.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Now I really wonder. What is the PC version going to be like? I mean, each X-box has standard hardware (well, except for the dvd-drive), so QA only has to make sure that the game works on one X-box, and in theory it should work on all X-boxes.

On the other side, every PC has a different hardware configuration (and with that tons of potential bugs). When I hear how buggy the X-Box version is, I can't help being afraid that if QA can't even make the X-Box version reasonably bug-free, the three more months they got for the PC version definately are not going to be enough to provide us with a bug-free PC version...

Mind you, I'm not blaming Obsidian for this, but the one who came up with the deadline.

And that is why PC version should be released in August 2005, despite the whining

of all those children that want this game now.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

And that is why PC version should be released in August 2005, despite the whining

There's no reason to freak out about little bugs like there is in the xbox version, a patch can take care of those. And this game is going to come out in Feb. for PC, let's just get used to it :geek:

There's no reason to freak out about little bugs like there is in the xbox version, a patch can take care of those.  And this game is going to come out in Feb. for PC, let's just get used to it  :geek:

I'm far from an expert on the differences between consoles and PCs in terms of what's under the hood so to speak, but wouldn't it make sense that many of the performance bugs people have noted would be taken care of by a more robust PC machine?

Things like slow-down and lag, wouldn't they be ironed out by a stronger processor and more memory than consoles generally have?

newlogo.gif

Things like slow-down and lag, wouldn't they be ironed out by a stronger processor and more memory than consoles generally have?

Ok, say that's true... that would imply they designed a game they knew the system couldn't handle properly.

That's worse than an accidental bug. I don't think they did that.

Although I wouldn't mind a dev chiming in and saying so.

I wouldn't mind waiting a few months for a relatively bug-free PC version. But aren't you exaggerating a bit? I mean, 8 months??

If a developer takes that time the fix the bugs, then the game was never even finished...

Ok, say that's true... that would imply they designed a game they knew the system couldn't handle properly.

That's worse than an accidental bug. I don't think they did that.

I'm not saying it's true, I'm just asking an honest question, I don't know the technical details.

newlogo.gif

That's worse than an accidental bug.  I don't think they did that.

Enter the conspiracy theorists who will say that Lucasarts gave them instructions to release a buggy XBox version so that consumers would have to buy both XBox and PC copies. XBox in time for Christmas, then PC when everything is "fixed". :)

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Well, the PC version should have many few performance problems, of course that's assuming it will actually run on the hardware it allegedly supports. That's a very big if..... Judging from promises, the results of those promises, and the hideous mess that seems to be the xbox version, it's probably big enough to fly an ISD through....

Well, I am going to wait on the PC version for several months till I see proof from LucasArts and Obsidian are actually going to support their game. I might wait till it is in the bargin bin. I am not going to pay $50 on a buggy next to unsupported game like I did with Lionheart and ToEE.

That's worse than an accidental bug.  I don't think they did that.

Enter the conspiracy theorists who will say that Lucasarts gave them instructions to release a buggy XBox version so that consumers would have to buy both XBox and PC copies. XBox in time for Christmas, then PC when everything is "fixed". :p

For some reason I think your right. :p!

Evolutionary Development

Yeah Hades, I agree. Learned my lesson with Jedi Academy, day it came out.... Good policy for all games, but with Lucas Arts, no way I'd trust them. I'm suprised one of their games hasn't repartitioned my harddrive yet or locked my browser to their company store. That's about what's left for them imo.

I only had one bug I notice when playing through.(Note my Xbox is special and has a little bit more muscle)

was swoop racing. I had no control. <_< They should have just riped it out.

The story was ok to many hint scenes with the old woman. I wished I could have gotten HK 47 sooner. Maybe alittle more crossover with old characters. Though it felt like middle game. *spoiler*

It opens the path you and raven takes. I would like going to unknown edges of space. It really didn't seem people where following me either.No side story with them either. No lost brother no missing son.The twist was missing the old woman should have been your mother (w00t)

I enjoyed it though and worth the $50 I spent.