A list of RPGs in development

Shadowstrider

By these definitions even Pong could be considered an RPG. Roleplaying a sliding bar across the screen as you are playing the role of a paddle. <_<

How vague or open do you really want to make the definition of RPG? :unsure::unsure:

In short, in ALL games you play a "role" of some sort.

By these definitions even Pong could be considered an RPG. Roleplaying a sliding bar across the screen as you are playing the role of a paddle. <_<

How vague or open do you really want to make the definition of RPG? :unsure::unsure:

In short, in ALL games you play a "role" of some sort.

Iolo, you'll save your sanity by predominantly ignoring Volourn's illogic.

You mean you don't play a role in those games? My god! that's news to me. :unsure:

OMG YOU'RE RIGHT!!!! SPLINTER CELL IS THE GREATEST RPG EVAR!!!!!!111!

Volourn, stop being simpleminded "but da magazines says it is" guy.

Well, lets look at this

ROLE PLAYING GAME

you guys seem to think that having role playing 'elements' ala, stats, levels, rules, multiple conversation choices defines those words, when in reality, nothing is set in stone.

so...

Wouldn't you say the most important part(element) of an rpg is playing a role? whether it be custom made, or premade?

At least your not as bad as the codex people, or are you one of them?

OMG YOU'R RIGHT!!!! TURNED BASED COMBAT MAKES RPGS ROXORS, REAL TIME IS PISSED, I DO NOT LISTEN TO REASON. I ONLY LISTEN TO MY COMRADS IN TB WHO BELEIVE THEY ARE THE ONLY CONSUMER IN THE WORLD, AND THAT GAME DEVELOPERS MUST PLEAD THEIR EVERY NEED, NO MATTER HOW RETARDED THE PLEA MAY BE

what a childish group of people.

excuse my rant

ROLE PLAYING GAME

you guys seem to think that having role playing 'elements' ala, stats, levels, rules, multiple conversation choices defines those words, when in reality, nothing is set in stone.

so...

Wouldn't you say the most important part(element) of an rpg is playing a role? whether it be custom made, or premade?

The problem is you don't play a role in FF games and such. For those of you who are not fully aware of what roleplaying is, it is where you put yourself in another person/thing's perspective, and make choices that you think that person/thing would make, based on the info you have.

Sure, they give you choices in FF games... but often its maybe 3, and there is only 1 outcome. Where is the role playing if no matter what you do the result is the exact same(which is usually "fight the the evil dood because he's evil!").

Stats are present in all games. Levels, phat lewt, etc... can all go and you can have a role-playing game, just probably not one with combat, nor a good conversation system.

EDIT:

No.

ROLE PLAYING GAME

so...

The problem is you don't play a role in FF games and such. For those of you who are not fully aware of what roleplaying is, it is where you put yourself in another person/thing's perspective, and make choices that you think that person/thing would make, based on the info you have.

Sure, they give you choices in FF games... but often its maybe 3, and there is only 1 outcome. Where is the role playing if no matter what you do the result is the exact same(which is usually "fight the the evil dood because he's evil!").

Stats are present in all games. Levels, phat lewt, etc... can all go and you can have a role-playing game, just probably not one with combat, nor a good conversation system.

EDIT:

No.

role playing - being in control of the fictional characters in the FF games.

sure, its broad, but that's what it is.

Yeah, and I get what your saying, both sides of this argument are dumb in their own right. I'm just trying to defend volourn's view since he seems smart and thought out, compared to the elitist ****.

Rather than dividing the list into "RPG" and "with RPG elements", or "True RPG" and "Action RPG", or "PC" and "Console" or whatever else you can come up with to seperate the games into different lists, it's so much easier tpo just check the links and decide whether a particular game is something you may or may not be interested in, whatever genre people want to put that game in.

That's why I went through the list and tried putting in a few details, so if you don't like FP, don't click those links, or if you are only interested in sci-fi or fantasy or whatever.

Personally, I'm really happy Shadowstrider made the list, as there are many games on it I had never heard of before that I'll now be checking up on, so for that he has my thanks.

Arguments about what makes a game an RPG never seem to reach any real conclusion.

Iolo: I never stated what games I actually thinka re role-playing games. I'm just pointing out that certain people have this narrow definition of the genre where their opinion = right. The bottom line is that no one really agrees what a role-playing game really is.Like I said, some people actually feel that games like PST or the BG series aren't role-playing games while others feel that games like DS and FF are. Problem with Strdier is he bmakes up his own personal definition of rpg and makes sure that if someone disagrees with his own personal made up definition that they don't know what theya re talking about. You'd be surprised how narrow minded my ownd efinition of role-playing games are; but however, I know that the role-playing genre is basically one's opinion as there is nos et definition. Hey, if you want to claim that pong is arpg; more power to you. It won't hurt me because I disagree with that. No biggie.

HK: I agree. :thumbsup:

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Iolo: I never stated what games I actually thinka re role-playing games. I'm just pointing out that certain people have this narrow definition of the genre where their opinion = right. The bottom line is that no one really agrees what a role-playing game really is.Like I said, some people actually feel that games like PST or the BG series aren't role-playing games while others feel that games like DS and FF are. Problem with Strdier is he bmakes up his own personal definition of rpg and makes sure that if someone disagrees with his own personal made up definition that they don't know what theya re talking about. You'd be surprised how narrow minded my ownd efinition of role-playing games are; but however, I know that the role-playing genre is basically one's opinion as there is nos et definition. Hey, if you want to claim that pong is arpg; more power to you. It won't hurt me because I disagree with that. No biggie.

HK: I agree. :p

Actually, I wasn't being serious and was trying to be sarcastic. :lol: The point being if you broaden the definition of RPG as it seems to have been broadened for years it gets to the point where you can no longer say what an RPG is. That's a mistake in my opinion. If in doubt, the classical definitions should have more say in the matter. :thumbsup: :ph34r: Go back to AD&D and other classic P&P RPGs for the definition.

I know you wer ebeing sarcastic about pong. I was returning the sarcasm there when I implied you actually beleived it was. Hehe.

Well.. if you want the *classic* definition that it would be only dungeon crawlers cosndiered role-playing agmes as that's what "classic" role-playing was accoridng to the "founding father" of the "genre". I'd rather not do that. I say, if in doubt, check the definition in the dictionary. I mean the dictionary is always right, right? :lol::thumbsup:

Anyways, I'll just go by my own anrrow midned definition. It's worked sof ar for me, and for many others as well. :ph34r:

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

• 3 weeks later...

Need to re-add Heart Of Eternity (3D Action RPG by UDC).

Also another game I had found.. Grr, can't seem to find it again. I'll repost it when I find it because I will find it.. Sooner or later. :angry:

Edit: I found it! The game is called Getica and is yet another 3D action RPG, it seems, under development by Digital Summoners.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Read about a new RPG under development today:

Vision by Octagon Entertainment and ALTAR interactive

Features:

* Unrivaled visuals featuring real-time inverse kinematics through animation blending along with lifelike 3D models, textures and lighting

* Dynamic and thrilling combat with diverse weapons, spells and combat styles; advanced AI fully utilizing the 3D environment in combat

* Highly artistic, coherent level design inviting creative strategies

* Fresh take on fantasy setting with believable behavior of both your party and the enemies; malleable characters give your party a unique dynamic

* "Inner sight" mode that reveals hidden magic, cryptic meanings and subtle connections in a visually amazing way

* Tight story with twists and surprises communicated through the in-game cinematics and branching dialogue system

* Extensive system of magic items and skills; enemies ranging from lithe pixies to thundering ogres

Unfortunately I was unable to find any sort of homepage for the game..

• 2 weeks later...

Another Russian third person RPG emerging:

Blood Magic

It features a co-op function! I love Sacred's co-op so maybe this could become interesting.

Edit: Well, I noticed "The Bloody Magic" was already in the list, but since that link doesnt work you might as well add this one instead. Also, Sacred could be removed now since it's been released already.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...