A list of RPGs in development

Shadowstrider

Demonking, I believe one of, if not the largest factor, is the new content guidelines which WotC has set for D&D titles.

Its not the sole reason, but a major factor.

Yeah - I agree. Now Hasbro owns the licence we might as well pay Barbie dress-ups because that's about as controversial as D&D games can be these days.

Basically playing a role which allows the player total freedom to do as they please.

That must be the oddest RPG definition that I have ever heard, and I have heard some strange ones.

I do realize that action games generally limit your choices to where to go and who to kill, and in a very limited number of ways, but even the most complex and immersive CRPGs to date limit your options to specifically those choices that the designers foresaw, which amounts to not all that much more than your choice of who to kill or talk to (and any resulting dialogue choices).

I guess this limiting aspect of todays game design is what motivates Bethesda, MMORPG devs, and other fans of so called "open-ended" play, but solving it will require either some huge advances in how games are played or a truly massive project to produce a game world where any possible desire of any possible gamer has been thought of and coded into the game. At the moment this is just science fiction.

Bethesda did randomize dungeons in Daggerfall and even Arena I think, but real life is not actually a random collection of the same features. So that just created monotony as opposed to an immersive real world kind of experience. A game that incorporates some kind of wetware neural network AI to literally change game/story features as you play to accomodate infinite possibilities would be a wonderful advance, but it hasn't happened yet.

I guess the closest thing would be a DM. Maybe that's what you're really saying here: that an RPG without a live human DM is not really an RPG at all. If that is the case, then I guess NWN would be the only computer game in history to qualify as an RPG. AFAIK it is the only "CRPG" to make use of live DMs. OTOH, most of the actions that a DM might allow would not be reflected in the computer displayed game world. It only achieves this freedom through the "cheat" of incorporating PnP play into a computer game, so these actions will only occur in the imagination of the players just as in PnP.

A.I.M.

Developer: SkyRiver Studios

Platform: PC

Setting: Sci-Fi

Action

Bard's Tale

Developer: inXile

Platform: PC/PS2/XBOX

Setting: Fantasy

Action

Beyond Divinity

Developer: Larian Studios

Black 9

Developer: Taldren

Platform: PC/XBOX

Setting: Sci-fi

Action

Blades of Avernum

Developer: Spiderweb Software

Platform: PC/MAC

The Bloody Magic

Developer: Sky Fallen

Borderzone

Developer: Saturn+

Sci-fi/Fantasy (?)

Setting: Action

Call of Cthulhu

Developer: Headfirst Prod.

Setting: Historical/Horror

Action/Adventure

First-Person

(A sequel, Beyond the Mountains of Madness, is also in production, as well as a PS2 exclusive, Tainted Legacy)

Deadlands

Developer: Headfirst Prod.

Setting: Fantasy/Western

Action

Dungeon Lords

Developer: Heuristic Park

Action

Dungeon Siege II

Developer: Gas Powered Games

Action

Era

Developer: Peroxide Entertainment

Fable

Developer: Big Blue Box

Platform: XBOX/PC(?)

Action

The Fall: Last Days of Gaia

Developer: Silver Style

Setting: Sci-Fi (Post Apocalypse)

Freedom Force vs. The Third Reich

Developer: Irrational Games

Setting: Historical(WW2)/Comic

Goldenland

Developer: Burut

I of the Dragon

Developer: Primal Software

Action

Inquisitor

Developer: Wooden Dragon

Jade Empire

Developer: BioWare

Platform: XBOX

Setting: Fantasy (Chinese inspired)

Action

Jagged Alliance 2: Wildfire

Developer: I-Deal Games

Setting: Modern Day

Tactical

JA2 mod turned exapansion

Metalheart

Developer: Akella

Setting: Sci-fi (Post Apocalypse)

Mythora

Developer: Vivid

Setting: Sci-fi/Fantasy

Outcome

Developer: Cyberworks Studio

Phase Exodus

Developer: Horns and Hoofs

Tactical

Power of Law

Developer: Mist Land

Setting: Sci-fi (Cyberpunk)

Restricted Area

Developer: Master Creating

Setting: Sci-fi (Cyberpunk)

Action

The Roots

Developer: Tannhauser Gate

Sacred

Developer: Ascaron

Action

Seal of Evil

Developer: Object Software

Setting: Ancient China

Action

Shadowvault

Developer: Mayhem Studios

Silent Storm: Sentinels

Developer: Nival

Setting: Post-WW2 (Sci-fi elements)

Tactical

Expansion pack for Silent Storm

Spacehack

Developer: Rebelmind

Action

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Shadow of Chernobyl

Developer: GSC Game World

First-Person

Star Wolves

Developer: X-bow Software

Tactical

UFO: Alien Invasion

Developer: UFOAI Team

Tactical

Vaishvanara

Developer: Menon Interactive

Setting: Fantasy (Hindu inspired)

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Developer: Troika

Setting: Modern Day

First-Person

Wardog

Developer: Rebellion

Weird War

Developer: Mirage Interactive

Setting: WW2

Xenus

Developer: Deep Shadows

Setting: Modern Day Colombia

First-Person

I've added more info about each game, if anyone cares. Feel free to add/alter.

just looking at the fable forums, it looks like its an xbox exclusive. but the developer is thinking about a PC release. probably much like halo then.

and STALKER is an RPG in FPS clothing. think Dues Ex crossed with Half-Life. there is a huge interveiw with GCS in an Australian mag (PC Powerplay if anyone cares), there are subquests, a huge plot, crates ( ;) ), and of course the option to not do the quest at all. i'm too lazy to sum up the article, but it seems to be a FPRPG

Games that don't allow for character growth fall short of my RPG definition.

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

Games that lack just one of several different RPG criterias, aren't automatically not RPG's. I am sure it'll be possible to role play in STALKER, even though there's no character advancement. Due to my FPS skills I'll be playing the sucky Stalker who gets killed every fifth minute.

STALKER has a huge, free world, lots of NPC's with agendas and dialogue trees and a bundle of quests. That is enough for me to classify it as a RPG. But I am sure it's playable as a regular FPS too.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

hmm, back to that article, it does say that there is "the player character will be customizable, upgradable, and ther -able workds that only exist in computer gaming"

but i'd agree with mkreku, if a game has all the other elements of an rpg, simply missing one doesn't stop it from being an RPG,

Games that lack just one of several different RPG criterias, aren't automatically not RPG's. I am sure it'll be possible to role play in STALKER, even though there's no character advancement. Due to my FPS skills I'll be playing the sucky Stalker who gets killed every fifth minute.

STALKER has a huge, free world, lots of NPC's with agendas and dialogue trees and a bundle of quests. That is enough for me to classify it as a RPG. But I am sure it's playable as a regular FPS too.

If your own reactions or skill with the controls are the deciding factor in combat and other scenarios rather than how the character is defined, then you lose the "Role" in Role Playing Game as now you are just playing the Role of yourself and your abilities which is what Sammael or Taks meant. Probably the most important aspect (I don't look at is as just one of many aspects) as well of RPGs is the ability to develop and grow your character as time goes on so the character's skills can improve. But the definition of an RPG seems to be so vague and misunderstood these days, I guess it doesn't matter. At best, I would consider this game a FPS with RPG elements. Not a big deal. So is Deus Ex 2 and others.

i doubt we can do anything but take GSCs word that stalker is an RPG, considering that no one outside of the company has actually played the game. demos as GDC and interviews are all that the press and consequently the rest of the gaming community have seen.

just looking at the fable forums, it looks like its an xbox exclusive. but the developer is thinking about a PC release. probably much like halo then.

and STALKER is an RPG in FPS clothing. think Dues Ex crossed with Half-Life. there is a huge interveiw with GCS in an Australian mag (PC Powerplay if anyone cares), there are subquests, a huge plot, crates ( :p ), and of course the option to not do the quest at all. i'm too lazy to sum up the article, but it seems to be a FPRPG

No, just no. Its a standard FPS with some RPG elements. RPG elements alone don't make a game an RPG. The devs have stated it won't have character skills, or statistics, which are essential to an RPG. They're of the mindset that Doom = RPG.

maybe if we make a split in the list?

"Dedicated RPGs", such as fallout or nwn for example.

and

"Games with RPG elements", such as silent storm and System Shock for example.

I'm sure there'll be some borderline cases, but most games would fit in one ofr the other pretty easily...

If your own reactions or skill with the controls are the deciding factor in combat and other scenarios rather than how the character is defined, then you lose the "Role" in Role Playing Game as now you are just playing the Role of yourself and your abilities which is what Sammael or Taks meant. Probably the most important aspect (I don't look at is as just one of many aspects) as well of RPGs is the ability to develop and grow your character as time goes on so the character's skills can improve. But the definition of an RPG seems to be so vague and misunderstood these days, I guess it doesn't matter. At best, I would consider this game a FPS with RPG elements. Not a big deal. So is Deus Ex 2 and others.

I think the FPS style is the best way of playing an RPG because it allows me to play the game through the character's (that I've created myself, not necessarily by using skils/levels/attributes, but by name and such) eyes. The skills should be directly visible to me at all time (such as bad aiming when low level) but I want to execute all the action myself. To me a game like Planescape: Torment is less of a RPG than STALKER is, because in that game, when you start it up for the first time, you already have a name, a history and a "reputation" within the game world. That makes it impossible to play anyone else than the Nameless One, thus it isn't role playing to me.

But you're absolutely right: this isn't a big deal. We'll just play the games we like in whichever fashion suits our tastes. I'm sure I'll be sneaking around STALKER in a cowardly RPG style in a near future anyhow :unsure:

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

If your own reactions or skill with the controls are the deciding factor in combat and other scenarios rather than how the character is defined, then you lose the "Role" in Role Playing Game as now you are just playing the Role of yourself and your abilities which is what Sammael or Taks meant.

If your own reactions or skill with the controls are the deciding factor in combat and other scenarios rather than how the character is defined, then you lose the "Role" in Role Playing Game as now you are just playing the Role of yourself and your abilities which is what Sammael or Taks meant.  Probably the most important aspect (I don't look at is as just one of many aspects) as well of RPGs is the ability to develop and grow your character as time goes on so the character's skills can improve.  But the definition of an RPG seems to be so vague and misunderstood these days, I guess it doesn't matter.  At best, I would consider this game a FPS with RPG elements.  Not a big deal.  So is Deus Ex 2 and others.

I think the FPS style is the best way of playing an RPG because it allows me to play the game through the character's (that I've created myself, not necessarily by using skils/levels/attributes, but by name and such) eyes. The skills should be directly visible to me at all time (such as bad aiming when low level) but I want to execute all the action myself. To me a game like Planescape: Torment is less of a RPG than STALKER is, because in that game, when you start it up for the first time, you already have a name, a history and a "reputation" within the game world. That makes it impossible to play anyone else than the Nameless One, thus it isn't role playing to me.

But you're absolutely right: this isn't a big deal. We'll just play the games we like in whichever fashion suits our tastes. I'm sure I'll be sneaking around STALKER in a cowardly RPG style in a near future anyhow :unsure:

For a single character game, a first person perspective isn't bad but even then you can still have attributes and skills that improve over time. Deus Ex 1, Morrowind and I think System Shock 2 had that for instance. Arx Fatalis I think did as well now that I think about. The player's level of skill even though it's based on statistics can also be made visible to you as well (and I think these games did that to a certaine extent).

The fact that the history of the Nameless One and the name and model were forced on removed some role playing from the character creation point of view and the background of the character (which is why some people feel it was a bit of an adventure game). However, it still allowed you to create the character's attributes as you pleased as well as determine how you develop the character (including an interesting alignment/faction system) or whether or not you remain as a Fighter or become a Thief or a Mage so it had roleplaying in this sense.

In the end, it's whatever makes the game enjoyable for you that's important. I'm probably interested enough by STALKER that if there's a demo I would download it.

but character creation isn't a vital part of an RPG. no japanese RPGs have character creation but they are still RPGs. advancement is important, but it can be done in other ways than sloppy aiming at lower levels.

i think that a FP view in an RPG could be excellent, we just need a game to showcase it properly.

but character creation isn't a vital part of an RPG. no japanese RPGs have character creation but they are still RPGs. advancement is important, but it can be done in other ways than sloppy aiming at lower levels.

i think that a FP view in an RPG could be excellent, we just need a game to showcase it properly.

Just because they're called RPGs doesn't mean they ARE RPGs. Final Fantasy, Xenosaga, etc... aren't RPGs. As good as Xenogears is, it isn't a role-playing game.

Huh? The definition of rpg says it so. Super Mario is a 'rpg' going by the most basic definition. You lose again, and your kewl speak as awesome and SEXY as it is doesn't change the fact.

I rarely read these "magazines" so even that is a lie so why would I care what they say again?. :unsure:

Stop being simpleminded "My definition is the right one!" guy.

Last i checked, there is no real universally accepted definition of role-playing games. Some people *gasp* don't even think PST, KOTOR, or the BG games are rpgs. gO FIGURE

Don't worry about labels. :unsure:

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.