Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

A list of RPGs in development

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
174 replies to this topic

Fionavar

Fionavar

Community Manager

• Global Moderators
  • 12678 posts

There is this 3D Fallout clone that's been under development since like.. 2001, I think it was when I first heard about it. Anyhow, if it's ever completed it might be worth adding to the list.

Wardog

I think you mean Static, which was an IGF entry, but sort of stalled after they lost the competition :?

Shadowstrider

Shadowstrider

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1652 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Spent the last hour or so reading and viewing screenshots of Power of Law... I need this game like a crack fix. It just LOOKS cool.

This game mght end up being my ToEE. No matter how bad it is, I'll defend it... I hope it turns out good so it doesn't come to that.

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8561 posts

There is this 3D Fallout clone that's been under development since like.. 2001, I think it was when I first heard about it. Anyhow, if it's ever completed it might be worth adding to the list.

Wardog

I think you mean Static, which was an IGF entry, but sort of stalled after they lost the competition :?

Uhm.. not really. I had never heard of Static, but if you click on the little underlined word "Wardog" in my post, you'll see what I was referring to.

Fionavar

Fionavar

Community Manager

• Global Moderators
  • 12678 posts
Sorry mkreku, I misunderstood and I thought you were talking about two, separate FO clones ... me bad ... sorry ;)

Iolo

Iolo

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1879 posts
Nice list. Here's a WW2 RPG called Weird War

Weird War

Spook

Spook

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 449 posts

Nice list.  Here's a WW2 RPG called Weird War

Weird War

That one looked interesting, despite being WWII. :(

Revolver

Revolver

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 106 posts

Nice list.  Here's a WW2 RPG called Weird War

Weird War

That one looked interesting, despite being WWII. :(

Like the idea- but the graphics looks a little dated. Hope the combat isn't too much like Torment or BG. Also, I agree Power of Law does look very impressive, despite not being able to choose or create your character...

BTW, does World of Warcraft belong on this list?

Iolo

Iolo

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1879 posts
Being that no other MMORPGs were on the list like D&D Online, I wouldn't think so and didn't suggest any and figured it was single player only RPGs. Console "RPGs" aren't on the list either like Forgotten Realms or Jade Empire.

Shadowstrider

Shadowstrider

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1652 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Console RPG types are on the list. Black-9, for example.

I originally included a statement:
"I've omitted more well known titles such as The Fall, and Vampire."

I suppose I could go through and put the more well covered RPGs up there, also. I still don't want to put MMORPGs up...

Shadowstrider

Shadowstrider

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1652 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Nice list. Here's a WW2 RPG called Weird War

Weird War

Added...

Though I must say, this game is in the same vein as Divine Divinity in terms of "poor alliteration titles."

Revolver

Revolver

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 106 posts
I would say that although I don't like them, MMORPG's are more RPGish than JA2 or Silent Storm though. (Then again I haven't played the full version of either game, so I don't know for sure)

Shadowstrider

Shadowstrider

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1652 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I would say that although I don't like them, MMORPG's are more RPGish than JA2 or Silent Storm though. (Then again I haven't played the full version of either game, so I don't know for sure)

More RPG, probably. It wouldn't be that difficult, since Silent Storm has no role-playing. However, MMORPGs are not my thing, so I really don't follow them.

Iolo

Iolo

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1879 posts
Agreed. I would think that JA2 and Silent Storm come more under the category of squad based tactical game with RPG elements. Fallout Tactics was also one of these as was Freedom Force (and presumably the sequel). There are so many MMORPGs though it would deserve to be a separate thread.

By the way, Weird War I think is based off of a P&P RPG by the same name by Great White games. Just saying this in defense of the developers of the game as it was probably not their choice for the name. :)

Techland signs publishing agreement with Great White Games 2004-02-04 12:22
(wednesday)

We'd like to inform that Techland signed publishing agreement with Great White Games, the Weird Wars rpg series publisher. The new Techland's project is inspired by Great White Games books taking place during the War World II. More info about these classic role-playing games at www.greatwhitegames.com. 

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 17067 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
You forgot Jade Empire unless you are just counting PC ones. :)

Centurion

Centurion

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 40 posts
Good list of RPG's, I like the look of 'Golden Land' reminds me of Arcanum :) and S.T.A.L.K.E.R looks very good too.

~Cent~

Nameless One

Nameless One

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Dungeon Siege 2...it isn't the most popular RPG around here but...
Gothic 3...I just found the interview but its most certainly already in development
Fable...I think its an RPG

Centurion

Centurion

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 40 posts

Dungeon Siege 2...it isn't the most popular RPG around here but...
Gothic 3...I just found the interview but its most certainly already in development
Fable...I think its an RPG

I think Fable is an xbox exclusive, is this list just for upcoming PC RPG'S?

~Cent~

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 17067 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Strider didn't make that clear which is why I suggested JE. We shall see when Strdier next posts. This is his show. He has THA power. :D

Iolo

Iolo

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1879 posts
Well Strider did say this earlier:

Console RPG types are on the list.  Black-9, for example.

I think he said he wasn't originally including the more covered games which would include Jade Empire. If more console games were added though, it would make sense to separate it into two lists.

Llyranor

Llyranor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6812 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Gabrielle
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Arx Fatalis 2 was recently announced to be using the HL2 engine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users