A list of RPGs in development

Shadowstrider

Regarding Stalker:

This is a role-playing game without growing experience of your character, without changing characteristics and levels. We want the player to develop his real mastery, moreover Stalker is an FPS/RPG game and much depends on his ability to fight. Changing characteristics, levels and player's experience, to our mind, would destroy the realism we try to create. As far as the rest is concerned, this is almost a normal PRG game where players travel the Zone, collect artifacts, weapons, reveal anomalous zones, communicate and trade with NPCs etc.

It sounds more like Deus Ex 2 which isn't an RPG to me. Using the player's skill rather than the character's skill is not an RPG. Still could be good.

Here is another MMORPG for all people who are sick of solving every problem with sword and gun.

http://www.ataleinthedesert.com/

This is a total non-violant one where people have to cooperate to build communitites and develop skills like architecture, trade and leadership and trying to be better than their neighbours. There are so called "tests", where you have to exceed a rival community in certain areas and by succeding in your chosen profession you gain new talents like building better bricks, cultivating new plants etc.

Sounds interesting, I will give it a try in a couple of days.

if you are including TBS games that have a smidgin of role playing (ie S^2 and JA2) then maybe:

UFO: Alien Invasion - http://ufo.myexp.de/

it's an X-Com remake, a community open source project using the Quake 2 source code...

there's a tech demo available for download on their site... it's early, but it's promising and heartening to see :(

good list, but can you please state the genre of the rpgs?

ex: mmorpg, action, hardcore, etc

If someone wants to break down what sort of catagory each game belongs in, and everyone agrees, I'll edit the post.

I'm not about to divide it up only to have people say "X isn't a strategy RPG" and have it descend into catagorical debating.

if you are including TBS games that have a smidgin of role playing (ie S^2 and JA2) then maybe:

it's an X-Com remake, a community open source project using the Quake 2 source code...

there's a tech demo available for download on their site... it's early, but it's promising and heartening to see :(

I don't see much mention of the RPG elements on the site. But I'll take your word for it.

Added...

there's a tech demo available for download on their site... it's early, but it's promising and heartening to see :)

I don't see much mention of the RPG elements on the site. But I'll take your word for it.

Added...

I'm guessing it will have as much rpg as X-com did... which is really just managing your squads equipment and training / development, as well as base building...

but I would say there's a high degree of crossover in terms of audience for turn based rpgs and turn based squad strategy games, so the people interested in this thread are predisposed to be interested in the x-com remake :)

there's a tech demo available for download on their site... it's early, but it's promising and heartening to see :)

Just because it has stats, TB combat and inventories doesn't make it a RPG game.

there's a tech demo available for download on their site... it's early, but it's promising and heartening to see :o

Just because it has stats, TB combat and inventories doesn't make it a RPG game.

Is Temple of Elemental Evil an RPG?

what was "rpg" about ttoe?

you mean toee? you had d&d rules (yes, i'm aware that some of them were broken. still i find the tb combat in toee really cool). you could talk to people and monsters, and you could kill people and monsters. you could find interesting, powerful items, or forge them. your party got stronger by gaining experience, and thus leveling up. thats rpg, atlthough very combat-oriented.

[edit]

call of ctuluh website won't run on firebird :o

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

you mean toee? you had d&d rules (yes, i'm aware that some of them were broken. still i find the tb combat in toee really cool). you could talk to people and monsters, and you could kill people and monsters. you could find interesting, powerful items, or forge them. your party got stronger by gaining experience, and thus leveling up. thats rpg, atlthough very combat-oriented.

Actually I believe RPGs are more about freedom and personally choice by the player, giving the player total control and letting him do as he pleases. Basically playing a role which allows the player total freedom to do as they please.

Actually I believe RPGs are more about freedom and personally choice by the player, giving the player total control and letting him do as he pleases. Basically playing a role which allows the player total freedom to do as they please.

There are few games that are called "RPG" that match that definition. Arguably Morrowind does in its open ended ness as I suppose Fallout or maybe Ultima 7. BG2, NWN, PST and most other games called "RPG" don't match that definition. Not that I am arguing with you that games with that quality are bad. Far from it.

Excellent work Shadowstrider. I found some truly interesting titles in that list that I did not previously know about.

A few thoughts about these games...

*It appears that the russian software gaming developer community has really taken off. A very good sign.

*Many of these appear to be Tactical combat games (XCOM, Jagged Alliance style) with RPG elements. A new trend?

Interesting that there don't seem to be any D&D games on the list.

Now I know there is D&D On-line and some Snowblind console title ("Forgotten Realms"?), but from the glut of generally decent PC D&D RPG titles of the last few years this is pretty disappointing.