Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New Jedi Knight Game

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5315 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

Jedi are supposed to be warrior monk style folk trained from childhood like shaolin monks. So why are so many Jedi in things lately such stereotyped whiny little teen ****? I blame Anakin Skywalker.

That's only true for the prequels. In the NJO era, everything sucks. :ph34r:

There is still the most important issue of any Jedi action game: lightsaber combat. I'd rather not have another game with such a craptacular fighting system as that of JK2 and JA. I mean, it was fun and stuff, but it was nothing alike the movies. Jumping and running around in circles all the time is not what good ol' Obi-Wan does. We'll see how they do it for the EP3 game, but I'm not holding my hopes too high.

GhostofAnakin

GhostofAnakin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 11252 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

There is still the most important issue of any Jedi action game: lightsaber combat. I'd rather not have another game with such a craptacular fighting system as that of JK2 and JA. I mean, it was fun and stuff, but it was nothing alike the movies. Jumping and running around in circles is not what good ol' Obi-Wan does. We'll see how they do it for the EP3 game, but I'm not holding my hopes too high.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I found the lightsaber combat in JA very confusing. Obviously I never mastered it, but I found myself, as you described, jumping around all the time, pressing the mouse button and running rather than an actual "duel".

Llyranor

Llyranor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6812 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Gabrielle
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Screw SP, I want a better-developed MP with full focus on lightsaber combat.

Niten_Ryu

Niten_Ryu

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 933 posts
I loved JK2 combat. Not that much against human or computer opponents but watching 2 or more equal computer controlled NPC fight each other.

Spawn few Luke's, few Dark Masters and some Stormtroopers for fun. Asbolutely beautiful. KotOR combat should look like that.

EnderAndrew

EnderAndrew

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 9241 posts
  • Steam:enderandrew
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Sounds good.

Ludozee

Ludozee

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 867 posts

I found the lightsaber combat in JA very confusing.  Obviously I never mastered it, but I found myself, as you described, jumping around all the time, pressing the mouse button and running rather than an actual "duel".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That sounds very familiar... :thumbsup:"

Child of Flame

Child of Flame

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3213 posts

Jedi are supposed to be warrior monk style folk trained from childhood like shaolin monks. So why are so many Jedi in things lately such stereotyped whiny little teen ****? I blame Anakin Skywalker.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They had lots of hawt sex.......jeebus fanfics are weird. :thumbsup:

EnderAndrew

EnderAndrew

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 9241 posts
  • Steam:enderandrew
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I heard about Han and Leia's kids getting it on with people and I was immediately wierded out.

Child of Flame

Child of Flame

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3213 posts

I heard about Han and Leia's kids getting it on with people and I was immediately wierded out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, you've only heard the tip of the iceberg then. Try the Solo family getting it on with EACH OTHER. Now THAT was weird.

GhostofAnakin

GhostofAnakin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 11252 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, you've only heard the tip of the iceberg then. Try the Solo family getting it on with EACH OTHER. Now THAT was weird.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Um? No they didn't. :lol:

Child of Flame

Child of Flame

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3213 posts

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They had lots of hawt sex.......jeebus fanfics are weird. :wub:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Um? No they didn't. :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Read the chain of events....I was talking about fanfics. :-

GhostofAnakin

GhostofAnakin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 11252 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Yeah, but what does fanfic have to do with the NJO? Ender was making a comment that the NJO wasn't to his liking. So bringing up what some sex-starved fanfic writer wrote about doesn't help or hinder the case about the NJO being bad.

Child of Flame

Child of Flame

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3213 posts

Yeah, but what does fanfic have to do with the NJO?  Ender was making a comment that the NJO wasn't to his liking.  So bringing up what some sex-starved fanfic writer wrote about doesn't help or hinder the case about the NJO being bad.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Um....I was joking? And the majority of this schtuff I've seen was set in the NJO era? :lol:

GhostofAnakin

GhostofAnakin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 11252 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Ok, no problem. My mistake.

I just thought you were pointing out extra material to support Ender's claim that the NJO isn't very good by posting about something that had nothing to do with the actual "canon" NJO.

Opus131

Opus131

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 573 posts

There is still the most important issue of any Jedi action game: lightsaber combat. I'd rather not have another game with such a craptacular fighting system as that of JK2 and JA. I mean, it was fun and stuff, but it was nothing alike the movies. Jumping and running around in circles all the time is not what good ol' Obi-Wan does. We'll see how they do it for the EP3 game, but I'm not holding my hopes too high.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, but the system it's the closest any game as ever gotten to it, isn't it ?

I thought the Light Saber combat was one of the only things they actually got even remotely right.

I'm still waiting for the real Jedi Knight 2 however...

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5315 posts

Yeah, but the system it's the closest any game as ever gotten to it, isn't it ?

I thought the Light Saber combat was one of the only things they actually got even remotely right.

It's more accurate to say that the JK series are the only games which have ever been intended to be a lightsaber combat simulation. So there aren't other games to compare to.

I know it wasn't an action game, but I liked the KotOR lightsaber combat animations much better than JO/JA lightsaber combat.

DSLuke

DSLuke

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2495 posts
Matybe we could have somekind of turnbased combat system for the next JK game.

Also I would like to play as Anakin Solo or Ben Skywalker.

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5315 posts
Unwarranted sarcasm won't help you make friends around here... :("

DSLuke

DSLuke

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2495 posts