The music

Well you know the original score pretty much has every theme in it and can really be applied in any situation during the game. No need for John Williams to compose personally. I mean in all previous SW games they used what they had from the movies.

There simply is no need for this strange soundtrack they had in Kotor2 and as I said this ruined the atmosphere.

@Thingolfin

The song you refer to is called "The Old Republic" and Soule did an excellent job on that one I agree. Why they didn't use that one is obscure to me.

Come to think of it, it is hard to create music for Star Wars (be it a game or a movie). John Williams is surely the master but I think he is pretty busy composing music for Ep 3.

Because he was the first one to create SW music, people use him as a benchmark. If someone else had composed the SW music, John Williams wouldn't be in the picture...

I LOVED the music. I don't know why some of you always dislike everything.

Good for you. If you properly read this thread you will find out that simply because I and others don't like the music it doesn't mean we dislike everything. I think Kotor2 is a solid RPG but the bad music takes away a lot, and doesn't feel like SW for me.

Thats a matter of opinion.

Also I think 40 bucks for the game gives people the right to post their thoughts here all right?

I don't care much about John Williams. I like him but I can live without him.

The main weakness of KOTOR 1 was bunch of cheap movie references. And I hated Williams tracks in KOTOR 1 - they seemed very un-original in a game that takes place in ancient era. While Griskey is worse that Soule, his soundtrack still

rocks (I know cause I observed the game on my friend's xbox).

Both games as well as Tales of the Jedi are very star wars like. Your problem is, that you don't see that this is completely different era from those known from movies. When Phantom Menace was released, people were whining that this is not Star Wars.... while it only depicted different time period that has different music, different heroes and aesthetics.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

No pal. Ancient Era was portraited in Tales of the Jedi and it is very different. And TOTJ were even before Lucas thought about making prequels.

Bioware already screwed KOTOR with their modern look, completely different from what we know from Tales of the Jedi.

Obviously you like movie period only, don't worry there is a plenty of games that

depict that period as well. But this game is about ancient times and shouldn't be similar to some overrated movies. It should be similar to what EU invented.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

SOCRATES:

No pal. Ancient Era was portraited in Tales of the Jedi and it is very different. And TOTJ were even before Lucas thought about making prequels.

Bioware already screwed KOTOR with their modern look, completely different from what we know from Tales of the Jedi.

Obviously you like movie period only, don't worry there is a plenty of games that

depict that period as well. But this game is about ancient times and shouldn't be similar to some overrated movies. It should be similar to what EU invented.

How do you know what music sounds like in the TotJ era? Apart from comic books, that era hasn't been covered, so unless you had comic books that also played music, I think it's a bit of a stretch to suggest what type of music or how that music should sound in the TotJ era (KOTOR era).

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

This discussion is irrelevant. As Chris Avellone said: mindless copying of movies

hurts both movies and games. Also to me copying vision of one man that is quite obsolete today, is stupid and primitive. You want game that is a clone of the movies? But Jedi Outcast or upcoming ROTS game adaptation that exploit endlessly same schemes made by GL. KOTOR is great becouse it almost doesn't copy movies, like those lame titles.

GOA: the music is different from overused John Williams, and that is all that make me content. Soule and Griskey set new standard for star wars music and added sound to my beloved ancient era. You should catch my way of thinking.

HERMOCRATES:

SOCRATES:

I don't know why you are so aggressive now. As far as I know nobody here talked about "copying" or anything.

I just believe that the John Williams music is an essential part of what makes Star Wars what it is. So it has nothing to do with copying if a Star Wars games contains pieces of the original score.

Games should add something original, not repeat same music themes all the time.

Williams' pieces are attached to current situations in movies so using them again and again deprive them of the original feel. Soundtrack is like dialog that leads you through the storyline. It cannot be the same all the time.

But I wouldn't mind if John Williams composed soundtrack to KOTOR III... :thumbsup:"

HERMOCRATES:

SOCRATES:

The music was, thematically, very in line with the Star Wars genre without being complete carbon copies.

There's room in Star Wars for more than what we see in the movies. There's no reason that other stuff can't be appropriate...it's a big universe out there.

Dracomicron

Hoary Veteran

Formerly Draconis, Master of Deception

Head ST for Demon and Orpheus on Blood Chronicles online chat

Exactly. :thumbsup:

HERMOCRATES:

SOCRATES:

KotOR 2's style of music isn't that drastically different from the first game, so I have no idea where you're coming from.

That said, just listen to the music when you're inside the Jedi Enclave on Dantooine, or the music playing during the Korriban Arrival movie. They're both great pieces.

Music is much easier to craft when it's telling the story, to be in sync with the visuals. Given that the in-game cutscenes for the most part move at the pace you want them to, and that the CG movies don't last very long, it can't sustain to tell a story that's totally in sync with what's going on screen, so a lot of it has to be more like background music. So I think the music in KotOR 2 is amazing for what it works with.

didn't feel like reading all the posts so I'm responding to the first one

First off, John Williams is a seventy year old man with a dozen or so oscars, so he probably doesn't own a computer and wouldn't be willing to write music for one.

That having been said, I agree that the music in this game is below that of the first, though Obsidian is hardly responsible for that.

The problem stems not from its atmospheric nature, but rather from its lack of melody and its lack of thematic continuity.

In the first, you knew that you were talking to bastila by the cellos playing. Malak's final battle is more climactic due to Soule's worthy imperial march-like Malak theme.

If you listen to the music in the playback menu of this game, the only theme that really stands out is Dark Kreia and it seems to be unfinished-it just cuts out without an ending or real place to loop. The only three I would consider average are nihilis theme, telos battle and iziz cantina, but the latter two are total rip-offs of williams work. So that leaves us with two adequate or better songs.

It's not the atmosphere that is the problem, it's the lack of standout themes. For examples of how horror-type music can be thematic see Candyman, Halloween and jaws.

I flat out love the new music I've heard so far. I really love that when I get a LS point I hear a bit of the Luke-Force theme. The music is pretty sweeping, and much more in the foreground than in KOTOR:1.

Obsidian isn't responsible for the score, but I'm digging it none the less.