The music

When I bought Kotor I wanted to play a game that truly creates the StarWars feeling that George Lucas provided us with about 25 years ago.

Thank you GL! :D

What I liked about Kotor was that it did exactly that. It had much atmosphere and when you just looked at the visuals you knew that you were in the SW universe. That the music was not entirely the original score but mainly by Soule was OK since he did an exceptional job plus on certain occasions the traditional SW themes were played.

Now we have Kotor2.

There are many things in which the designers took a different path. Some proved good for me, others didn't. Anyway thanks for making this game at all!!

However I have a difficulty with this game because on many occasions I felt that this isn't Star Wars. I'm pretty fine with the fact that this is supposed to be a dark sequel in which the situation for the Jedi looks grim.

But does the game have to constantly remind me about this by playing those creepy music themes that sound like Aliens or X-Files?

"Duel of Fates", "Imperial March" and the likes would have made this game much more epic and also more easier to overlook certain shortcomings in the game.

So please if Kotor2 sells good enough for a Kotor3 to be made let John Williams do the music. :-

But does the game have to constantly remind me about this by playing those creepy music themes that sound like Aliens or X-Files?

"Duel of Fates", "Imperial March" and the likes would have made this game much more epic and also more easier to overlook certain shortcomings in the game.

So please if Kotor2 sells good enough for a Kotor3 to be made let John Williams do the music. :-

Kind of ironic that you're complaining about the "darker" or grim music, but then mention two pieces of music that are most associated with the "dark" characters (Maul and Vader).

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Kind of ironic that you're complaining about the "darker" or grim music, but then mention two pieces of music that are most associated with the "dark" characters (Maul and Vader).

There's a big difference between imperial march and songs like the x-files. I don't have the game so I haven't heard it, but that would be really lame if they had music like x-files in a star wars game :-

So please if Kotor2 sells good enough for a Kotor3 to be made let John Williams do the music. :)

Thank you for that. Well the point with those is just that they are not monotonous as in Kotor2. They really have rhythm and are quite inspiring in the SW way if you know what I mean. The Kotor2 music is just depressing and lack this epic thing.

Thank you for that. Well the point with those is just that they are not monotonous as in Kotor2. They really have rhythm and are quite inspiring in the SW way if you know what I mean. The Kotor2 music is just depressing and lack this epic thing.

Understandable. I might have just misread that (most likely, since I got zero sleep last night), but it just sounded a bit funny that you were complaining about the "dark and grim" theme of the music, but then used as your example what are considered "dark and grim" Star Wars themes from the movies.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I would have to say that I prefered Jeremy Soule's electronic music from the first game.

I was expecting more from an orchestra backed soundtrack.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Understandable.  I might have just misread that (most likely, since I got zero sleep last night), but it just sounded a bit funny that you were complaining about the "dark and grim" theme of the music, but then used as your example what are considered "dark and grim" Star Wars themes from the movies.

Np. My point is just that when you think about Star Wars isn't the music not like 50% of what we love about SW? When you hear it you can automatically associate it with SW. Its unique. You can feel the whole "redemption" business and the good/evil battle in all those themes.

This may sound like an advertisement now :D

It's just that the Kotor2 music is in sharp contrast to that which is really a pity.

I actually liked the music quite a bit. One of the things I WASNT disappointed with. The music stops being creepy for the most part after Peragus (peragus should be mysterious)

The one place the score really, really stands out to me is

When the shuttle gets shot down by HK50 outside of Atris' academy on Telos...something about the way the scoring fits in that whole sequence from movie to dialogue to fight just....works

So please if Kotor2 sells good enough for a Kotor3 to be made let John Williams do the music. :devil:

There's a reason why John Williams doesn't make the scores for Star Wars games. One is that he's a movie composer; the other is

dollars.jpg

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

An original score is better than something derived from the movies.

I must say that I heard certain pieces more than I would've liked - and the "Jedi" piece didn't remind me of Jedi at all. It was still a very good piece... and it was extremely effective at the climax of the game on Dantooine, and I liked it for that. It seemed out of place, though.

They can use music from the movies to their games if they want. IF that's what you mean.

Thats precisely what I mean. And I hope they do exactly that for Kotor3.

Me too.

After all they used that music in the Jedi Knight series...so why not in KOTOR?

I'm not saying that the whole soundtrack should be from a movies, but the tracks I've already mentioned before could easily be part of the game.

And by the light of the moon

He prays for their beauty not doom

Because the Jedi Knight series was a rip-off of the original movies, and didn't have a plot like KotOR does of it's own. If the prequels can come up with new themes, so can the video games... but the occasional star wars theme here or there wouldn't be bad. It was a little weird that the beginning scroller had the star wars theme, and then you never ever heard it again throughout the game... or any discernible variation of it.

Yes but the SW music is property of Lucasfilm and Lucasarts is their property too.

If you mean re-use John Williams music from the movies, I couldn't disagree more. They've done that a billion times in countless other Star Wars games. Eventually, you start to wonder why the Cantina from Nar Shaddaa in Jedi Outcast is playing the exact same music the Cantina on Tatooine was playing probably over a decade ago.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

They can use music from the movies to their games if they want. IF that's what you mean.

Thats precisely what I mean. And I hope they do exactly that for Kotor3.

Me too.

After all they used that music in the Jedi Knight series...so why not in KOTOR?

I'm not saying that the whole soundtrack should be from a movies, but the tracks I've already mentioned before could easily be part of the game.

By having an own score, it gives KotOR a character of it's own, and in a good way. When playing the JK-series, alot of the atmosphere went away when you could here the exact same music as in the movies.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I didn't like the music in Kotor 2 either, with the exception of the "Jedi theme", and the music that played when you're in the Ebon Hawk.

And why the heck isn't the Kotor theme in it? I thought that song was supposed to be the main theme song throughout all the kotor games?

Come to think of it, it is hard to create music for Star Wars (be it a game or a movie). John Williams is surely the master but I think he is pretty busy composing music for Ep 3.

In contrast to other games where they can use whatever they want for soundtrack, Star Wars MUST use a given kind of music, namely classic.

And by the light of the moon

He prays for their beauty not doom