Keeping levels for the player is useless... BUT!!!

For the characters that you get, that can be a jedi (other than the player character), and you plan to enough have influence to get them to become Jedi, like in the first KOTOR for Revan, it actually might smart to save levels for them, at least.

One question, though: is the Exile the only one who can have a Prestige class?

For the characters that you get, that can be a jedi (other than the player character), and you plan to enough have influence to get them to become Jedi, like in the first KOTOR for Revan, it actually might smart to save levels for them, at least.

One question, though: is the Exile the only one who can have a Prestige class?

That's exactly what I am doing with Handmaiden and Atton. I heard from some people that Handmaiden doesn't turn to a Jedi until late in the game so I am saving her levels. I did the same with Mira and Bao Dur. Boy is it fun to have such a squad of young Jedi that you trained yourself. :D

Saving them won't be as fun as you think I will hide the rest in a spoiler

The last parts of the game do not allow you to choose who goes with you and you will be stuck using certain people and not getting to choose

But I did, on accident the first time not knowing that they could become Jedi, sandbag Handmaiden until she became a jedi, which made her a very, very powerful Jedi

Yeah the handmaiden rocks at higher jedi levels. With my new game I am sandbagging her levels. I am debating how much to hold off on Mira's as well. Though her damage potential rocks with ranged. THough the dif between precise 3 and precise 5 is not too much.