Lightsaber Finesse

Can anybody explain to me exactly what Lightsaber Finesse does? I've been boosting up my strength stat because I'm a Jedi Guardian, but I've been reading that if you have Lightsaber Finesse you don't need to pay attention to strength as long as you have a high dexterity.

What does it do? Have I been boosting up the wrong stat?

If you have a +1 bonus from strength and a +2 bonus from dexterity, ordinarily the +1 bonus is the one that would be used.

If you get the Finesse feat, then you use the +2 bonus from dexterity instead.

If you had a +3 strength bonus and a +2 dexterity bonus, then you'd continue to use the +3 bonus with finesse.

Normally, your Strength modifier would be applied to your To Hit roll for melee attacks. If you learn Lightsaber Finesse, your To Hit Roll uses your Dexterity modifier in place of your Strength one. Actually kinda neat.

The Dark Lord

swesbrly5iz.gif

If you have the finesse feat you will use your Dex to determine your to hit bonus, if it is higher than your str. Your Str will still determine the bonus for damage, regardless.

The finesse feat was a good idea in the D20 system for people who wanted to play Dex Fighters and rogues instead of a full plate clad warrior. I think it is a good feat for a Jedi as they are Dex Based fighters anyway. If you are a guardian I would still not ignore Str, though. As that class has to excell with a a light saber.

I think this feat is not a important now that Jedi can wear armor that lets them use their force powers.

I am sure someoe will answer with all the specfics for you soon, personally I usually like to stay with strength, the bonus from finesse, only effects to hit, strength is still the modifier for damage.

Finesse allows you to still have a high to attack bonus, while conctrating on your defence rating instead of your damage output.

This is my humble opinion and of course people are free to disagree with it but at higher levels Dexterity is far more important than Strength to a Jedi. This includes the Guardian.

At the end of the game, I had a Strength of 12 and a Dexterity of 23. + 37+31 to hit and did 10-38/11-44 damage. I had a defense of 30. If we switch the values for Dexterity and Strength I now have +32/+26 to hit and do 15-41/16-49 but my Defense drops to 25.

Jedi can't wear armor so the highest defense the can get from their clothing is 3. Unless you want to get hit constantly you have to put something into Dexterity or use the defense boosts from Force powers. Unfortunately, Guardians will tend to have the lowest amount of force points.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Yeah, the nimble guardian---a concept I wound up dubbing the "battlecruiser" since it control all aspects of the engagement, i.e. float like a butterfly, sting like a bee---may take longer to pummel someone into submission, but that's OK. Why? Because if the enemy can't hit you, he can't kill you. Sure Malak may have Billy Carter's Sword of Wounding (+20 Damage), but if he can't ever hit with it, he'll sooner or later lose to the guy toting a pocket knife.

This is especially useful in the multiple target engagement. Under this game system, I'd prefer the nimble guardian as opposed to Conan the Barbarian. Why? The nimble guardian takes longer to kill, but doesn't take a ton of hits, either. Conan, conversely, must get those one to two hit kills, because while he's cleaving enemy number 1 in half, enemies 2-4 are landing the nickel-and-dime hits that add up.

The game engine seems geared to assisting the nimble guardian with gadgets and other things, so I'd usually go for Dexterity over Strength when time to allocate points.

My girlfriend played a Consular so she could zot people all day long. So I played a Solider.

She built up Dex, since she didn't wear armor. Since I relied on Force Powers less, and you can use Heal with armor, I wore Heavy Armor. Thusly, Dex wasn't as important.

My decision to use Str over Dex was based more on the armor/force usage issue. But in the end, I did more damage with the lightsaber and she had more fun using force powers.

Either path works out.

My girlfriend played a Consular so she could zot people all day long.  So I played a Solider.

She built up Dex, since she didn't wear armor.  Since I relied on Force Powers less, and you can use Heal with armor, I wore Heavy Armor.  Thusly, Dex wasn't as important.

My decision to use Str over Dex was based more on the armor/force usage issue.  But in the end, I did more damage with the lightsaber and she had more fun using force powers.

Either path works out.

Yeah, what Ender said. I didn't really focus much on my lightsaber skills because I was too busy using Force Lightning. I loooove zotting people.

Proud purveyor, owner and operator of the Wonder Twins

^ I have to agree with that , I mean when you think of Sidous you don't really think of him with a lightsaber in hand the first picture that comes to mind is of him using Force lightning on Vader and Luke.

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits!" - Albert Einstein.

"It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

"You can try to kill me, you'd fail!, but you can try!" - Revan.

"When you have exhausted all other possibilities whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Sir Arthur Conan Dole)

"A lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part"

AscendedPaladin.png

^ I have to agree with that , I mean when you think of Sidous you don't really think of him with a lightsaber in hand the first picture that comes to mind is of him using Force lightning on Vader and Luke.

To EnderWiggin as well:

Fear not, he uses massive amounts of lightning in episode 3... If you want more, feel free to PM me, as I don't want to ruin the specifics for those that don't know the info.