D&D: Does Obsidian 'ave an interest?

...well, will ya's e'er make a D&D game or is ya's stayin' away from it???... :)

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

• Like 1

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

Would we need and play another D&D game? Gold Box games, Planescape, Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate and Temple of Elemental Evil are well enough (and good enough).

Even if Obsidian would invest in D&D what would they go with? Three of the more interesting settings - Ravenloft, Planescape and Dark Sun - are no longer supported and have been discontinued. I refuse to play another game set in the Forgotten Realms :angry:

Even if Obsidian would invest in D&D what would they go with? Three of the more interesting settings - Ravenloft, Planescape and Dark Sun - are no longer supported and have been discontinued. I refuse to play another game set in the Forgotten Realms :angry:

I think a Planescape-style of game is possible, just not called Planescape. There's ample planar source material for 3E to put together a good game.

And I suspect that once WOTC really gets going on the Eberron setting, that'll be heavily pushed.

Setting doesn't really matter though as long as the game is good. Setting only becomes a big issue when the designers try and make the setting compensate for a thin story.

newlogo.gif

Don't read more into this, but we wouldn't mind making another D&D game. It would be nice to have a break from time to time from it, but most of us got into making games because we played D&D when we were younger.

Hmmm...how to phrase this so it could be answered diplomatically...

Would you say that, in your experience, when dealing with all the licensing and content players involved is making a D&D game generally more or less of a pain in the ass then dealing with other product licenses? Or is the amount of BS that has to be shoveled more or less the same?

I think a DnD licensed game would move much smoother if it began production today. Much of the alleged frustration came from the timing of the announcement last year on the new guidelines (aka, when 4 products were all within months of shipping).

Good point, Frankie. I think that if you guys can make a game that has the rules implementation of Temple of Elemental Evil but with the story value of PS:T, but withthe openness of character creation of Icewind Dale that might be a kickarse game.

We've sent proposals for "Deekin's Big Adventure" out, but nobody's biting...yet. The game starts with Deekin and a crate, and a cutscene of the crate...

Setting doesn't really matter though as long as the game is good. Setting only becomes a big issue when the designers try and make the setting compensate for a thin story.

Yes I know. I don't like licensed settings; but I was answering in context, here.

Good point, Frankie.  I think that if you guys can make a game that has the rules implementation of Temple of Elemental Evil but with the story value of PS:T, but withthe openness of character creation of Icewind Dale that might be a kickarse game.

We've sent proposals for "Deekin's Big Adventure" out, but nobody's biting...yet. The game starts with Deekin and a crate, and a cutscene of the crate...

Put princess leia in a steel bikini chained to the crate, as a rust monster approaches!

Let's keep the T&A in FanTAsy

***Posting delayed, user on moderator review***

Why Bio Why?