So does KOTOR 2 suck or not?

Sucks in comparison to the first . . . unfinishable quests . . . storyline gaffes . . . bugs . . . conversation loops . . . no continuity . . . character selection

characters act like they have been with you for the entire journey - which leads to silly conversations with people who have just met (love, hate, etc.)

but still a decent game (I would give it a 7.0)

The story is very unpollished, in my opinion. I was left with many confusing unanswered questions when the game was over -- most of which were created in the final chain of events at the end of the game. Things just were not explained well enough, a lot of "why's that" and "what about"s at the end.

I finished my first game yesterday. I'll play it again, and possibly a third time to see about picking up a few minor points I missed, but overall I've found that most of the questions I had at the end of the game many others had.

Something tells me I'm going to love the ending.

Anytime the majority of people seem to hate or dislike an ending of a game, I tend to feel the opposite about it. So this seems like a positive sign.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I'm agreeing with Ghostie, something tells me I will love the ending.

Now this may just be me, taking a wild stab in the dark, but perhaps these unaswered questions, leave the door open for KOTOR3. Perhaps some of these question will get answered in KOTOR3.

Like I say, just a wild stab in the dark.

Whoops, wrong guy.

It's the torment ending, sans any talking to your NPC fellows. It's the one where you fight the Transcendent one, and your companions die without letting you speak to them.

A few things look sloppy, but I think it's pretty well implied what happens. It's just not stated, as seems to be the expectation around here.

The game, on the whole, has some ambitious and very, very interesting and well done aspects to it. The pacing is a lot better, the story is stronger in a number of ways, even if it doesn't spell out as much as it could.

It left me with so many unanswered questions, it was just confusing. The game itself was amazing and great, addicting too, but that ending was just bleh, it was rushed and quite simple. I had a harder time defeating the newbie bosses =O

I really hope, if they do make a third, they put more effort into it, and not makes us wonder what happen to Revan, and now what happen to the Exile. The main bosses didn't seem very invovled in the game, and it was pretty obvious to guess who would betray you and who was evil.

The game ending - kinda sucks, kinda is perfect.

It's the perfect end for the PC. Everything hints at an end like that for him/her.

It sucks with regards to the companions. Questions, threads etc. about them come up, and you never find out what happens. One particularly bizarre thing happens between two crewmates during the end run - One of them tries to frustrate the aim of another during a cut scene - and it is left unresolved - I mean why bother with it if we never have a chance to see what happens?

You are not even sure if some of your party members are alive or dead at the end of the game.

For the number of things that the devs did right storyline-wise - the number that they screwed up storyline-wise is ridiculous.

Knights of the Old Republic = A New Hope

The Sith Lords = The Empire Strikes Back.

I'm of the opinion that The Sith Lords and The Empire Strikes Back were both superior to their predecessor.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

From a storyline aspect, KOTOR2 is very good until the last planet and ending. The problem with the last planet and ending is not so much in the story as in the execution. I.e.

I had no problem with Darth Tranya (sp?) describing the future of my npcs and the fate of the Republic, but I'd like to have talked to them one last time and hear something unique from them before the 20 second end movie kicks in (LS ending). Something like an Ebon Hawk stage where you can talk to all your NPCs one more time after dueling with Darth Tranya, make your peace, before the end movie kicks in and you guys fly away would have gone a looong way in my mind.

Speaking of the NPCS, great beginning, alot of promises, and poor execution near the end. The whole idea of influences are great, but I'm not sure what it gets me aside from being able to train them as Jedis.

The romance plot with Handmaiden went nowhere after she agreed to be trained in the Force. The romance with Vista Marr just abruptly ended at the last stage when you got "thrown" off of Ebon Hawk onto Malachior V.

Overall, I'd give the game up to the last stage a 9.5/10 and the last level/ending a 6/10 due to poor execution and a lack of closure. At least in KOTOR, you felt a sense of accomplishment in the end, whether LS or DS. Here, all I felt like at the end is like "gee, this is what I spent 40 hours for? No pat on the back, no sense of accomplishment, just this old crone to say a few lines and then a 20 second FMV?" Maybe KOTOR 3 will patch things up and have a good ending.

Don't get me wrong here... I still love the first 38 hours of KOTOR 2, and I don't regret buying it. But I just wish the ending is a bit more polished, like the alternate ending of Prince of Persia, the Warrior Within (amazing how a 2 min FMV at the end can dramatically improve your opinion of a game, LOL).

Regards,

DL

It doesn't suck. Overall, I really liked the plot. It moves well, and tells an interesting story. And is definitely darker than the original.

I also liked the vast amount of new items and upgrades available. Cool stuff. The new robes are nice as well.

However...

It felt like there were quite a few sub-plots and such in the game that were never fleshed out. I'd guess that it was due to not enough development time, but it's kinda frustrating to have something lightly sketched out, and then never followed up on. Some of which seemed fairly plot-related as well, not simply side-quest type stuff.

Also, the frustrating lack of progression in conversations with the NPCs.

I'd still give it an 8/10. I did enjoy it, and have already started playing through again.

I rather like the game.

There are some technical issues that bug me but they're not that much. I do like the story, though I haven't reached the end, where some people seem to have grief.

My only beef is that I can't do another trial for those stinking Selkath. My, how I wanted to blast some of those fish people again.

Personally, I think the ending of TSL suffered from the same problem that the final LotR's movie. The "ending" dragged on, and on, and on.

Everytime I thought to myself "this is it. The final showdown" I was sent off to a new area to battle something else.

I can't say much more without spoilers, but if you've played it, you would know.

Overall, I enjoyed TSL over the original KotOR. It was more RPG less adventure with RPG elements. Nearly every choice you make has consequences, both down-the-road and immediate. I was disappointed with some areas, but thoroughly impressed with others.

Personally, I think the ending of TSL suffered from the same problem that the final LotR's movie.  The "ending" dragged on, and on, and on.

Everytime I thought to myself "this is it.  The final showdown" I was sent off to a new area to battle something else.

I can't say much more without spoilers, but if you've played it, you would know.

Overall, I enjoyed TSL over the original KotOR.  It was more RPG less adventure with RPG elements.  Nearly every choice you make has consequences, both down-the-road and immediate.  I was disappointed with some areas, but thoroughly impressed with others.

That is in almost every game. Even in the original KotOR, we had to go through 4 levels of the Star Forge. During this time, there were countless Sith Assasins and Troopers coming in wave after wave. The final battle took forever to reach. Even when we were fighting Malak, we had to take out all 8 jedi whcih was a real pain in the @$$.

(amazing how a 2 min FMV at the end can dramatically improve your opinion of a game, LOL)

Good point. Developers should take notice of this.

When players spend 40 hours investing themselves in ideology, forming emotional attachments with their NPC buddies, etc.... what they want is closure. And if theres anything that deserves extra budget/resources it would be a kickass ending, full with character conversations and a nice FMV.

The Developers obviously put the effort to amaze us with the Peragus Mining Station, setting the tone for a great game to come. Why not end it with the same wow factor? You know If I mess around with my girl for 40 hours, she's gunna get the big O before we're done. Thats just how it is.