PC "Mods" to KotOR 2

no matter how easy something may seem, a certain amount of effort is needed to make the output successful. whether the effort is subconscious or conscious is what makes it seem easy to someone. to use an analogy, its like saying 2 different computers take 2 different number of processing cycles to compile the same million lines of code. (sorry about the code analogy, you said you're not good with that stuff but its the best one i could think of atm) yes it can be harder to some people who have to first learn how to do it and maybe their first time might take more effort since they will likely make mistakes but even at the very least a certain amount of effort is needed.

and btw, there is no way in hell you'll ever find anyone who builds a custom frame for a motorcycle and will tell you it was easy. never.

Never say never. I know someone. And he'd tell you that it may be time consuming, but it is easy. But then again, he's been doing it for years.

The approach you took earlier as I saw it was that everyone struggles all of the time. No, that isn't a quote, but it was the tone you were trying to set as I saw it. I'm still not sure why you believe I was trying to down the modders, when the game is what I was talking about, and the fact that it is not a mod-friendly game, no matter how many fan-created tools come out, no matter how many mods come out, for that matter. It simply was not meant to be modded as other games were.

As for the people modding, or in any line of work, yes, there is a learning curve, and yes there will be people who, devoted as they may be, have to put a lot of energy into the work they are trying to pull off. But not everyone is like that. And no, I'm not an idiot, I understand the clock-cycle analogy, albeit apples and oranges since computers don't learn how to process data, they just do it within the confines of their architecture. It is neither easy nor difficult, it just is.

you have no friend that builds custom frames for motorcycles if you can honestly say it is easy. not even mentioning the metal fabrication, there is a lot of math that would have to go into building a custom frame. if he's taking any shortcuts and using someone else's work and calculations then he isnt building a custom one himself. of course i have never built one but for it to be street legal you also have to go through the dmv with the specs and design. if all he does is assemble someone else's work then again he's only doing a small part of the work. btw, i have done welding and no that part isnt hard but it is only a small part of the work that would go into a project such as this.

as for my analogy, it applies directly to what i'm saying. it would take the same ammount of "work" from each computer to do the same thing but a faster computer could finish it faster. it was not easer for that computer, it just did the same amount of work in a shorter time.

i never said i believe you made any mods, i just said i dont care. you mistook this i guess and now speak pretty confident. if making kotor skins is easy for you, how about you make one real quick? re skin any model to to this http://www.hl2.nl/gallery/25.jpg

On another note: Why the heck are you trying to compare NWN modules to KOTOR mods? 

Maybe because that's the kind of mod he wants for KOTOR? But that sort of mod isn't going to happen, so let's all move on.

@kbned: what is your damage, dude? You seem to be incapable of talking about mods without turning it into some sort of pissing contest.

On another note: Why the heck are you trying to compare NWN modules to KOTOR mods? 

That's like taking Morrowind mods and doing the same comparison ... the devs there released utilities that make anyone who looks twice at the game able to add content.  That was the entire POINT behind NWN ... and it was a major marketing point for Morrowind. 

What you're thinking of in terms of NWN modules and Morrowind modules is more akin to making a map for Warcraft using the available tools packaged with the game.  Reskinning something is tougher than doing that.

We have the second person in this thread that can't seem to read what I wrote. I wasn't comparing NWN modules to KOTOR mods. I was using the NWN modules as an example of the kind of mod that I'd want to play. Since I've never played any other game other than the counter strike mod (if you want to use that as an example instead to make it easier to understand my point, be my guest) I used them. However (and here's the key) I never said that kind of module can be done for KOTOR. I simply stated that that was the kind of thing I was looking for, but sadly because of the limited tools available to modders or whatever, it can't be done. I've stated that and understand that. Now can you understand what my point was?

Maybe because that's the kind of mod he wants for KOTOR? But that sort of mod isn't going to happen, so let's all move on.

@kbned: what is your damage, dude? You seem to be incapable of talking about mods without turning it into some sort of pissing contest.

Thank you. Exactly why I mentioned them. I'm glad that atleast someone in this thread actually knows how to comprehend the obvious.

And I was wondering the same thing about kbned. Apparently he can't have a discussion without resorting to it. I respect people on this board who, even if I have a heated debate with, can keep their cool and respond to the topic without having to resort to immature name calling. Unfortunately, kbned isn't one of them. But since he's put me on ignore (again, immature since all we were doing was having a debate), he won't read this. :blink:

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

pissing contest? i have not urinated in a contesting way. seriously though i was just responding to what i consider arrogant and ignorant insults against something those 2 in particular have no ground to be insulting. you probably dont care to read the entire thing, i dont blame you. i wouldnt either but dont single me out as the instigator.

... what i consider arrogant and ignorant insults against something those 2 in particular have no ground to be insulting...

Anyone see the irony in that statement?

Pot. Kettle. Black.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Just to move on from the pointlessness, I've found that installing mods - any mods - causes my game to crash. Pity: I was looking forward to the alternate DF female ending.

Two possibilities:

- you are using incompatible mods - very likely some .2da file conflict (would be caused by other mods than the alternate DS ending)

or

- placed the files in the wrong folder - make sure the files are not placed in another folder inside the main folder.

Just to move on from the pointlessness, I've found that installing mods - any mods - causes my game to crash. Pity: I was looking forward to the alternate DF female ending.

Two possibilities:

- you are using incompatible mods - very likely some .2da file conflict (would be caused by other mods than the alternate DS ending)

or

- placed the files in the wrong folder - make sure the files are not placed in another folder inside the main folder.

I got the same results using the Holocron Plug-In, which isn't a manual install.

Edit: this is getting weird. I uninstalled all mods, and now KotOR crashes whenever a movie plays in-game (playing them from the menu works fine). Screws up my video controller too. I don't see any obvious way that installing these mods can do that, but that's what happened.

Edit again: I think I see why Bio refused to even let us discuss mods.

Edit x3: had to delete and reinstall to get things working again. I think I'll refrain from modding the game.

Ok NWN was developed with modding in mind. That is why you got all the tools etc. Lucasarts for whatever reason did not want Bioware to mod KOTOR. It was in their agreement. I think it sucked because with tools released better mods could have been done(Though some good ones were done without the tools). KOTOR2 will probably be in the same boat. Though perhaps some folks will be able to develop mods on their own. It wont be supported by Obsidian or Lucasarts. Considering the success of some games because of being allowed to mod you would think LA would be onboard so they could milk the game for all its worth. Half life what was around for 6 years with good sales because of all the different mods. If I were a software executive I would release tools just to hope some modding catches on and it increases the length of sales.

There is actually a very nice moding community out there for KoToR. Since the file structure is very similar to NWN it made it easy to start simple mods and now there that people took that and ran, so-to-speak, there are some nice mods out there and getting better. There a whole new character models(not just reskins), New dialog, items, and the list just keeps growing.

Since the KoToR 2 is based off the same engine/file structure, there will likely be a lot of mods very quickly. With the new options available there is even more room to play around with things. It would be nice if LA and Obsidian would support moding, as it adds to the life of a game.

I was really surprised that KoToR did come out on the pc as LA seems to be against any game that may remotely take sales from SW Galaxies. Hence why I thing the real decision behind no multi-player. A good star wars rpg multi-player could take sales away from a crappy mmorpg with star wars name slapped on.

What I would pay for KOTOR or KOTOR II to contain a toolset and DM client like NWN. I would be running a weekly Star Wars campaign in a heartbeat. Well, 1st I'd want to rebalance the Jedi with the other classes like normal Star Wars d20 so players could play any class and it would remain somewhat balanced between the PCs. But then.....wow!

This thread is... Well I don't know what it is after I read it.

My definition of "mod" is mod = modification. This would include anything that changes the Original Resources released with a game. Good or Bad thats what a mod is.

I got a definate sense that because KotOR mods did not live up to a few peoples expectations that it is a tivial thing and its ok to dismiss it as such. I have made a few KotOR mods over the last year, some people like them some don't. Thats fine, But when It is dismissed as being something that is irrelivant I feel quite insulted.

Very little about KotOR modding has been simple Many clever people(Holowan's Resident Programmers) Have spent countless hours Scavenging what information they can just to make it even possible to make these so called simple mods. (I don't think anyone stated it in those words but its the impression I get) Also to say there are very few mods For KotOR compared to games with released toolsets is Just being Ignorant. Ofcourse there are going to be fewer mods, what do you expect.

I recently Started to play TES:Morrowind and the possiblilties that can be accoplished with TESCS is just plain ridiculous(in a good way :( ) Something that would take me 2-3 hours to make For KotOR can be made in 15-20 minutes with that games CS. So to judge a games modding community based on amount of mods or size or scope of mods is a bit ignorant.

This is a strange thread it started out with a simple question that has been asked many many times and some how it went into an argument about the qualty of KotOR modding and how a few people define a "GAME MODIFICATION".

The simple answer is NO TSL modding will not be more difficult then KotOR modding and There will most assuredly never be any official Tools, But many of us will continue to make our "simple mods" and have fun doing it. After that is the whole point of game fans making mods.

I think the general consensus Of KotOR modders is not that we want tools , but just to have some open discusions about how the game works with the Hard working people that made it. Im sure that several of this Games Programmers, designers and artist would love to talk about how they did what, But sadly its not their decision.

But if KotOR modders could have some documentaion on Obsidians File Formatts We would be extremely greatful ;) *cough* model format *cough*

So is anyone going to try to actually mod the game at all, cuz i would really like to have a vader suit that would be the best ;)

Where is the bell, wait for the bell, k i need the bell, wait the bell! Ding bonda dong! Ding bonda dong! Ding bonda dong! Ding bonda dong!

Kazic wants you.... to join the pinkside!

You tell 'em T7!

-Shimaon (Who, ironically enough, is logging onto this forum for the first time in months. I'll be over at Holowan to throw in my meager skills again when TSL comes out, heh.)

So is anyone going to try to actually mod the game at all, cuz i would really like to have a vader suit that would be the best

Yep, people will be modding it alright. There will be a few more possibilities just from the new game, such as robes, and the new models, but last I checked, we're nearing the possibility of full new armor models, so a Vader suit isn't very far off, and I think someone already made a helmet.

You tell 'em T7!

-Shimaon (Who, ironically enough, is logging onto this forum for the first time in months.  I'll be over at Holowan to throw in my meager skills again when TSL comes out, heh.)

So is anyone going to try to actually mod the game at all, cuz i would really like to have a vader suit that would be the best

Yep, people will be modding it alright. There will be a few more possibilities just from the new game, such as robes, and the new models, but last I checked, we're nearing the possibility of full new armor models, so a Vader suit isn't very far off, and I think someone already made a helmet.

Shimaon? Good to know you are still around ;)

In fact modding TSL has already started (we have some xbox users at HL now).

Concerning the Vader suit, someone made one a few months ago. However it's not a new model, it's a reskin...but we already have stormtroopers ;)

Shimaon? Good to know you are still around :)

In fact modding TSL has already started (we have some xbox users at HL now).

Concerning the Vader suit, someone made one a few months ago. However it's not a new model, it's a reskin...but we already have stormtroopers  :(

Thanks ^^

It's good to feel the love.

Yeah, I've been glancing at Holowan recently, and I saw the XBox modding bits. It's good to know that it's THAT easy, heh. The stormtroopers looked really good too, nice work on that. I'll be downloading it along with a few others when I whip out KotOR to reinstall it and play through, heh.

As for the Vader suit, do you mean the helmetless Malak reskin? I didn't like it too much, but I suppose it was the best that could be done with what we have.

Also, I just now remembered why I got out of modding KotOR: I tried time and time again to model something, but I couldn't, for the life of me, make anything that looked like anything except a mess... Heh, I'll leave modelling to the talented ones when I come back.

-Shimaon