PC "Mods" to KotOR 2

To be more specific, PC gamers.... we are always being tormented by evil corporate slimebags.... *sigh* when will it end?

You think we PC-owners have it bad?? Then think about the poor Xbox owners who have to endure Bill Gates personally coming down to spank them and steal their wallets every once in a while. Or so I've heard..

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

If they have to spend a little extra money to get the best games first, thats their problem. Pretty much any good game released for PC came out for console first :

GTA : 3, Vice city, San Andreas

Metal Gear Solid 3

HALO

HALO 2

KotOR

KotOR II

etc.

From what we know already and from the files format used by KotOR2, it should be about the same as modding KotOR 1.

It is currently possible to make new areas for KotoR 1 and there are a few ones that are not too bad. The reason why there are not many new modules is because we had to figure out everything about the game first. Also, the tools started to get more powerful only in August, September. Before this the only way to make a new area was using a GFF editor for everything , including dialogue, which, even if it is not necessarily difficult, requires a lot of time and patience... and now I think many modders are just waiting for KotOR 2.

However, we still cannot make new area models and we can only use existing models as the area models cannot be fully manipulated at the time being. Items and placeables new models are possible, including lightsabers. Anyways, the whole point of modding for me is to have fun doing mods and figuring out how the game works...

Finally, although LucasArts does not support modding officially, they do not discourage them either. LA also posted a screenshot of our site (StarWarsKnights.com) at the official TSL site with our mod of the week announcement on the pic (it's small but it's there). I think the reason why Bioware discourage so much mod support is that since LA did not supported mods officially, they couldn't be responsible for this and didn't want to answer to people messing around with thier game. Also, their boards would probably have been " invaded " by modding discussions. However, in my opinion they exagerated somewhat, even locking threads that were simply mentionning the word "mods" with no real discussion on the subject.

@ Grandpa : mods for new areas (.mod) files don't go in the override folder: you have to drop them in the modules folder - that's probably the reason why they don't work in your game :) - and BTW, I got my Carth skin...)

I've tried every single quality mod that was posted or advertised on Holowan labs.  Some were decent at making a next play through a bit more fun, but they were limited in what they could do to actually add to the game.  When I think of "mod", I think of adding completely different stories ala NWN's modding community where you can literally play a brand new story.  KOTOR's mods didn't do that.

then you dont know what a mod is. what you're thinking is more along the lines of a tc but still not a tc since it uses the same original resources. a mod is just any modification to the original game which has indeed been done.

I'm not going to download a skin or something. If you are making an ACTUAL modification to the game, it helps to CREATE new modules so that you are not limited to those provided. Also, when the developers release an SDK, those are the tools the developers used to create the game. I strongly doubt that those tools are worse than what some person can code in a day. So, unless you are saying the developers are idiots using stupid tools, you are wrong...

P.S. If you haven't tried any of those mods, you haven't tried any mods at all.

i have no clue wtf you're talking about. if english is not your first language please use shorter sentences with only one idea/point at a time. do not assume i can read your mind and find the rest of your idea/point, all i got to go on is what you write. btw, a sdk is not the tools that the devs used. its only the tools they can allow you to have. its not necessary that they used them and very likely that they never used those tools at all. a lot of devs have their own tools made specifically for them so they can make the game which would cost too much to release.

Also, I had tried just about every mod ever created for KOTOR up until I started hanging out here, and was a regular, albeit mostly a lurker, at holowan for a long time.  In fact, I created several complete character reskins myself.  So, yes, I do know something of what I'm talking about there.  And no, I have no idea where those skins are anymore.  Someone hosted them, but I think his site went down a while back.  To this day, if you go to any of the hosting sites you'll find 90+% of the mods are simple reskins.  That is not a mod in the truest sense of the word. 

code=script in layman's terms, and since I am not a programmer...layman's terms it is.  And yes, several of the mods created to add planets and such would not run on my game.  Mods allowing for new force powers and reallocation of NPCs dd run just fine.

BF 1942 total convertion mods = great mods.

KOTOR New Revan mask for your PC = not a great mod.

you post was too long so i put in only the parts i intend to respond to. first off, i'd like to see your skins that were so easy to make. it would probably just prove my point that a crappy skin is easy to make but a quality one is not. if you made it you should at least have your own copy if not have the link of the site that hosted it. it doesnt matter if they're down, give the link anyway. and a new skin is most definitely a mod.

code != script. most dont need a new script yet most crashed your game.

bf1942 had a lot of tc's rather than kotor's mods. tc is basicly a lot of mods done to make the game completely different. bf mods would actually be the re skins of the guns or models or maybe a new or edited map.

i havent had any probs, that was in reply to the same guy you're talking about. i know you mean well but that guy is probably just bs-ing his probs with the mods since most cant crash your game. and none of them that i've tried will crash your game if you follow the simple instructions. btw, nice tach mod on your site. i'll have to try that one when i give kotor one last run in feb.

I've tried every single quality mod that was posted or advertised on Holowan labs.  Some were decent at making a next play through a bit more fun, but they were limited in what they could do to actually add to the game.  When I think of "mod", I think of adding completely different stories ala NWN's modding community where you can literally play a brand new story.  KOTOR's mods didn't do that.

then you dont know what a mod is. what you're thinking is more along the lines of a tc but still not a tc since it uses the same original resources. a mod is just any modification to the original game which has indeed been done.

Actually, I do. Perhaps I used the wrong phrase. What I meant was that the mods available for KOTOR weren't the type of thing I was looking for. Maybe it's you that doesn't know what a mod is, since you say that my description isn't a mod. Funny, then you should email Bioware and tell them to change the title of their "modules" link since all it does is bring up a bunch of non mods (in your definition), since they are new stories and the such. Weird. I guess Bioware's "Mod Hall of Fame" is a sham, since according to you, they aren't mods.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

seriously dude, wtf? mod = modification not module. bioware can call their modules mods because it still makes sense. and when the hell did i say they're not mods? it modifies nwn so it is a nwn mod and a nwn module. believe it or not bioware's nwn is not the first game to be modded so it does not set any rules for what is or isnt a mod.

seriously dude, wtf? mod = modification not module. bioware can call their modules mods because it still makes sense. and when the hell did i say they're not mods? it modifies nwn so it is a nwn mod and a nwn module. believe it or not bioware's nwn is not the first game to be modded so it does not set any rules for what is or isnt a mod.

Where'd you get that definition? By all accounts, every time I've heard the word "mod" it applies to ALL kinds of modifications, INCLUDING modules. I stated that I want to be able to play a new module, yet you try and convince me that a module isn't a mod. You're wrong.

I know you're trying to defend the mods that were done for KOTOR 1, but come on now. If you're going to comment on something I've said, then atleast know what the hell you're talking about first.

As for the bolded part of your quote, refer back to your "then you have no idea what a mod is" comment. Again, like I said, either read entirely what I write, or don't bother trying to sound condescending about what I do or don't know. Otherwise you end up contradicting yourself in each subsequent posts you make (much like you did saying that nwn modules aren't mods, then later saying they are mods). :thumbsup:

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

You might want to take your own advice. Feel free to prove where exactly my erroneous statement(s) are. I've already showed you where you've contradicted yourself and made idiotic remarks.

for the off chance that you dont understand english very well i'll explain one last time. for the likely chance that you're just an idiot, i'll keep it simple.

Where'd you get that definition?  By all accounts, every time I've heard the word "mod" it applies to ALL kinds of modifications, INCLUDING modules.  I stated that I want to be able to play a new module, yet you try and convince me that a module isn't a mod.  You're wrong.

I know you're trying to defend the mods that were done for KOTOR 1, but come on now.  If you're going to comment on something I've said, then atleast know what the hell you're talking about first.

As for the bolded part of your quote, refer back to your "then you have no idea what a mod is" comment.  Again, like I said, either read entirely what I write, or don't bother trying to sound condescending about what I do or don't know.  Otherwise you end up contradicting yourself in each subsequent posts you make (much like you did saying that nwn modules aren't mods, then later saying they are mods).  :thumbsup:

the term pc mod means modification. the term does not mean pc module. i have never said that a nwn module isnt a modification. infact i said it was close to a tc which is pretty much a really big mod. a module is a modification but a modification is only a module in the case of nwn. this is what i've said the entire time, never any different. if you understood anything different then you misunderstood.

i dont need to defend mods done for kotor. if you dont like them then dont use them. it seems i'm one of the few here who has ever used a mod and created one. i most definitely DO know what the hell i'm talking about.

i said you dont know what a mod is because you think a modification can only be a module. bioware's use of the short form of module confused you. this is the last time i'm going to explain this to you, do not bother to ask me anything or comment on anything i have said. i dont mind stupid people but arrogant stupid people really annoy me.

i said you dont know what a mod is because you think a modification can only be a module. bioware's use of the short form of module confused you. this is the last time i'm going to explain this to you, do not bother to ask me anything or comment on anything i have said. i dont mind stupid people but arrogant stupid people really annoy me.

Where exactly did I say that that a modification can only be a module? I stated that what I (as in personal preference) wanted a module rather than just reskins or added Force powers.

You might want to take some advice from your own last sentence. It fits you perfectly, someone trying to be arrogant but not having a clue what the other person said or meant.

Oh and chief, I never "asked you" anything. You came on here insisting to everyone that KOTOR was fully modable and got upset when people said the mods done for KOTOR weren't that great. I simply stated that what I wanted to see (ie. a NWN module where a new story is added) was NOT done and was NOT doable for KOTOR.

Reading comprehension. Learn it.

And just for clarification, here are my three posts that pertain to the topic of what I wanted to see in a mod. Feel free to point out in any of these quotes where I said that modules were the ONLY thing that defines modifications to a game. Look real close and you'll see I mentioned the fact that those downloadables on Holowan are in fact mods, but that they didn't provide me with what I wanted.

It's a bit disappointing that this game (and KOTOR 1) weren't really mod-friendly, since it could have been such a huge addition to the PC version if there were full story mods out there like there are of NWN.

Actually, I do.  Perhaps I used the wrong phrase.  What I meant was that the mods available for KOTOR weren't the type of thing I was looking for.  Maybe it's you that doesn't know what a mod is, since you say that my description isn't a mod.  Funny, then you should email Bioware and tell them to change the title of their "modules" link since all it does is bring up a bunch of non mods (in your definition), since they are new stories and the such.  Weird.  I guess Bioware's "Mod Hall of Fame" is a sham, since according to you, they aren't mods.

Seems to me you either confused your conversation with someone else, or you like making things up that I never said.

When I think of "mod", I think of adding completely different stories ala NWN's modding community where you can literally play a brand new story. KOTOR's mods didn't do that.

to me that means you dont consider the kotor mods actual mods. you seem to admit they are modifcations but not worthy of your defintion of a mod. welcome to my ignore list.

When I think of "mod", I think of adding completely different stories ala NWN's modding community where you can literally play a brand new story.  KOTOR's mods didn't do that.

to me that means you dont consider the kotor mods actual mods. you seem to admit they are modifcations but not worthy of your defintion of a mod. welcome to my ignore list.

Hahaha what a troll. He puts me on his ignore list because he knows he lost the argument.

But in the off chance he's lying (again) and can read this, I said that the mods that were available aren't what I was LOOKING for. I did NOT (do I need to repeat this?) say that what was available were not classified as mods. I said that what they offered weren't enough for me and that a new story module was what I was looking for and thus my IDEAL mod would be one in which a new story was told, ala the NWN modules.

Put me on your ignore list. Atleast I won't have to deal with you lying about what I said.

code != script. most done need new script yet most crashed your game.

As I mentionned to Grandpa, if his game crahses, it's simply because he doesn't put the .mod files in the right folder.

No. I put them in the right place. Remember that some people had hideous problems with KOTOR I, bugs and crashing. I never did, until I tried to launch a new planet or area mod. I don't know why, and at the time I had little time to worry about it, and since had moved on to other games.

kbned: As for posting the reskins I created, forget it. Since I've since replaced hard drives and didn't care to save any superfluous crap from the old ones, I don't have them. I don't frequent holowan any more, so I couldn't tell you who may have them on their site. Yes, yes, by all means, start with the accusations and claims of lying, I completely expect it. Nothing I can do about that.

Sounds like you're looking for extra content in terms of TC type additions. Some people just told you it isn't that simple ... do you know how many people START work on TC's and never finish them? The main problem is ... the amount of time put into quality TC's is enormous.

On another note: Why the heck are you trying to compare NWN modules to KOTOR mods?

That's like taking Morrowind mods and doing the same comparison ... the devs there released utilities that make anyone who looks twice at the game able to add content. That was the entire POINT behind NWN ... and it was a major marketing point for Morrowind.

What you're thinking of in terms of NWN modules and Morrowind modules is more akin to making a map for Warcraft using the available tools packaged with the game. Reskinning something is tougher than doing that.

Yes, yes, by all means, start with the accusations and claims of lying, I completely expect it.  Nothing I can do about that.

having modded myself (mostly early fps) i know that to make a good mod you have to put in more effort than you claim is needed. if you actually made a mod or not, i dont really care anymore but i have never heard someone who calls any work they are proud of "easy to make". even a skin takes quite a bit of effort unless you are just editing an existing one.

Yes, yes, by all means, start with the accusations and claims of lying, I completely expect it.  Nothing I can do about that.

having modded myself (mostly early fps) i know that to make a good mod you have to put in more effort than you claim is needed. if you actually made a mod or not, i dont really care anymore but i have never heard someone who calls any work they are proud of "easy to make". even a skin takes quite a bit of effort unless you are just editing an existing one.

Some things, for some people, are easy. Fact of life.

example 1: I certainly am no good at welding, and would be hard pressed to do anything useful with it. But some people find welding to be incredibly easy, to the point where building, say, a custom motorcycle frame is child's play. They might be very proud of the piece they just finished, and if you asked them how difficult it was, they'd tell you how easy it was.

example 2: I can drive a 44' MLB surf rescue boat in 30 foot breaking surf. How? Training and practice. Scary? Sometimes, especially at night. Easy? Incredibly. Why? Because it just is. You may not think so, but that does not mean to me it isn't easy. And it is incredibly rewarding.

Despite the crap they're forcing into kid's brains today, everyone in the world is not created equal. Some are better at things than others. And those others are better at other things than are the some. And because something may be easy to a person, it may be no less rewarding than something that is difficult for the same person.