Workbench won't WORK!!!

I thought it was just some sort of plot device... maybe T3 was the only character that can upgrade... but now after 12 bloody hours of playing, this is no longer looking like a "plot device" as much as a "pathetic developer"

No workbench functions in the game. I have attempted upgrades on Telos, Citadel Station, Peragus, and the Ebon Hawk.... all it does is beep as if selecting the option, then nothing happens. No upgrade screen, no "pick the type of item" screen.

I am still using STOCK equipment after 12 freaking hours!!! And now it turns out you have to "build" your lightsaber?? HOW do you DO that WITHOUT a WORKBENCH!!!

So, before I go onto a tirade of darkside proportions... :blink: Has anyone else encountered this and if so HOW do you get around it?

Thanks.

I've had this bug too, though I've also seen it happen with the lab stations as well. Thought maybe it was just a werid station at first or something, but kept on going through the game and every workbench I found did the same thing; a beep when you pick it and nothing afterwards.

I also have this problem none of them work for me just lab stations do. Is there anyway to contact Obsidian directly about some of these glitches?.

Did they even test the dam game i am seeing glitch topics everywhere i mean KOTOR I was never this bad and you could do things to get around them also.

I also have a first released xbox with the thompson drive if that matters.

Well, I tried starting another game and it's still doing it. I know they worked for awhile the first time I played, I remember upgrading the mining suit and vibroblade a couple of times. Even right off the bat with the first work bench I see (In the room with the HK protocol droid), same thing. Never saw anything like this with the first KOTOR, and who knows how much I played that...

Thinking I'll try deleting all my saves manually using the dashboard and try one more time. If it's still like that or it starts up again and I still haven't found a fix for it I'll just take the game back to Gamestop and exchange it for Metroid 2 or something.

My X-Box is only a couple of days old, if it matters.

Well, here's some follow up information for all those actively attempting to repair this problem, a great big kudos to the friendly folks at GameStop, and a giant middle finger to every last worthless playtester and outsourced code-monkeys that have created an unplayable plastic coaster rather than a functional software product.

The System:

My system is a Thompson Drive original model Xbox which has never, ever, ever had a single issue with any game I've purchased until this one.

The Experiments:

I replayed the entire Peragus area over (first hour) 4 bloody times, just to get to the first workbench off of the Ebon Hawk (Since I assumed that one was supposed to be broken). I tried different classes, different dialog options, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, DIFFERENT DISCS! The kind folks at GameStop allowed me to bring my Xbox in and we zapped the saved games from the HD, then attempted over and over to get to a working workbench. We used two discs sealed from the shelf, and one play-test version from behind the counter that they use for demos.

The Results:

All attempts were failures. New games, reloaded attempts with new discs, wiping the drive and starting over... ALL FAILURES! First unplayable bug I've found since Fallout 2. Fortunately, I have to again thank the folks at GameStop for accepting my disc back even though I had thrown away the receipt (since I had no reason to believe this was a glitch until WAY too late). And I've now got both MechAssault 2: Lone Wolf on reserve with the money that once had gone to Obsidian's coffers and sadly, a very large empty spot where a compelling plot had just started to unravel.

The Vicious Contemptuous Ranting:

Now, as a software developer myself, I have a serious loathing for this kind of ineptitude. If I ever produce even a minor software hiccup, I'm given very stern instructions on how important it is to give the customer the best possible experience, and every glitch lessens our credibility and business prospects for the future. I think its very telling that there is a "self help" forum, but no santioned developer discussions going on as to how to actually remedy any of these failings.

KOTOR is one of the exceptionally few RPGs available on the Xbox, and now the "Most Anticipated Sequel of 2004" has turned out to be a black mark on both Obsidian, and on the Xbox as a platform. I think Microsoft should make serious considerations on whether to extend their licensing rights to Obisidian in the future. This has actually made me question the hardware as well as the developer. If these kinds of machine-specific bugs are going to be allowed in so-called "finished" games, then what other titles are going to be similarly marred? Is an Xbox even worth owning if even the heavily financed and marketed games can only be played on a "portion" of the hardware that's claimed to be supported?

I can only hope that other developers have a little more respect for the people supporting their livelihood.

Obsidian has turned MY "most anticiapted sequel" into a useless plastic waffer and they certainly will not be "anticipating" any repeat business from this very unsatisfied customer.

I tried my own experiment, outlined before. Went to the hard disk manager, deleted every save game I had, as well as the KOTOR heading. Started a new game (my third, actually, since the bug first appeared). This time, work benches are working again. I admit to a bit of perenial worry about whether they're suddenly going to stop again, each time I try one, but so far so good; just about back out of Peragus.

This is ridiculous. Kotor (the original) was the reason I bought EVERY SINGLE Star Wars title available for the Xbox. I was hooked and could not get enough. I am frustrated and angry that I, too, cannot use a workbench. Three days of playing and I am running around in stock armor/weapons. After reading all the other problems here, I have written a letter to Obsidian, Microsoft and Lucas Arts to let them know how I feel. You can write them too at the following addresses:

Obsidian Entertainment, Inc.

1560 Brookhollow Drive, suite 220

Santa Ana, CA 92705

Microsoft

Attention: Video Game Development

1 Microsoft Way

Redmond, WA 98052-6399

Lucas Arts Entertainment, Co.

Attention: Product Support

San Rafael, CA 94912

Don't just send off an email and forget about it. Send snail mail letters and FOLLOW UP until you get a response. Emailed comments to a company are easy to delete and ignore.

+Ironmark+

I found a solution that worked for me. My Xbox is old... I've had it for more than a couple years, but since it still worked... I took it too a local game store and sold it. Then I picked up a brand new Xbox and haven't had any problems with KotOR 2 at all. My angst filled letters are going out to Microsoft, Lucas Arts and Obsidian Entertainment tomorrow as I'm still pissed that I had to buy a NEW console to play the damned game. Of course, I didn't tell them that... wouldn't Microsoft to get any MORE great ideas and actually incorporate some sort deliberate half-life into their hardware.

+Ironmark+

I found a solution that worked for me. My Xbox is old... I've had it for more than a couple years, but since it still worked... I took it too a local game store and sold it. Then I picked up a brand new Xbox and haven't had any problems with KotOR 2 at all. My angst filled letters are going out to Microsoft, Lucas Arts and Obsidian Entertainment tomorrow as I'm still pissed that I had to buy a NEW console to play the damned game. Of course, I didn't tell them that... wouldn't Microsoft to get any MORE great ideas and actually incorporate some sort deliberate half-life into their hardware.

+Ironmark+

Well i think that it should not have to come to that i mean if thats the case and you have to have a new xbox to even play the game thats CRAP!!. They should Obsidian be aware of the problems with this game on old xbox's and address it in my opinion!. The game is released on the xbox console old or not it should work not have problems of continuing the story glitches that are unfixable, and have workbenches not work all game!.