So....I ended up playing KOTOR II.

I still have two months to get my hands on the game so I have no idea what the ending is like -but I do remember that way earlier either on these forums or on an interview, it was stated by one of the devs. that the ending was meant to leave gamers in suspense, and in serious anticipation for what is to follow. In saying that the ending wasn't really satisfactory, are you people saying that it's just an arbitrary 'stopping' instead of an ending, or, that it leaves just too many loose ends? I mean, is it as obvious as the ending of TESB, that the resolutions will be coming only in the next episode? Or is it just not well made, despite any effort to link it into a possible 3rd episode?

Zwangvolle Plage!

M

It's not so much the fact that it isn't a super happy ending as it is the fact that the ending leaves you unsatisfied. Now don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind a "happy" ending at all, with all the everyday crap I have to deal with and since bad endings have been the fashion (In movies and whatnot) for the past few years I think a little peace of mind would be just fine with me.

I don't mind at all that the game has this ending in it, however I am very disappointed that it appears to be the ending player's get in LS. The DS ending is sure to be bad enough, why do I also want an ending in the LS that just leaves me depressed? And replayability? Why would I want to play again a game I already know will leave me feeling empty at the end and with a complete sense of non-accomplsihment. To me an ending such as this makes me feel like why did I play this? At the end I felt no better than I did at the beginning, if not worse?

Endings, especially in RPGs, should be developed over the course of the decisions made ingame. If this game had multiple endings (As devs hinted at but I can't as of yet get confirmation) where you can at least get a "happier" or more fulfilling ending in the fate of the PC and company then there would be no problem. But playing the game over again knowing each time I'll get the same thing is just depressing. And didn't the people of Obsidian also make PS:T and Fallout? If they used similar endings there, are they just recycling the same ending in every game? That's very unoriginal.

And I also don't really agree with the statements that the PC's actions in the past overshadow the action in this game.

Do they still leave a taint and still have an effect after the game ends? Absolutely and as they sgould. But to negate the redemption of the PC because of the actions before the game is simply ridiculous. Vader threw one guy down a shaft and was completely redeemed, this guy saves the galaxy from 3 Sith Lords and it's like: "Oh thanks for saving the Order, the Republic and the galaxy...and don't let the door hit you in the @$$ on the way out!". Should the PC continue to struggle and atone for the past sure, but after the events in the game in the least he/she has earned the right to be welcomed back into the Jedi where he/she can continue to atone much better than the way it ends.

Also considering Obsidian's choices into making the game, unless KotOR 3 picks up right where this left off and uses the same PC and crew (Difficult since we supposedly know the fates of all at the end of the game) then why set the ending up this way? It's a shame we don't have at least the option to get an ending with closure and satisfaction for our troubles, this only makes the journey ingame meaningless.

Also considering Obsidian's choices into making the game, unless KotOR 3 picks up right where this left off and uses the same PC and crew (Difficult since we supposedly know the fates of all at the end of the game) then why set the ending up this way? It's a shame we don't have at least the option to get an ending with closure and satisfaction for our troubles, this only makes the journey ingame meaningless.

That was the most aggravating part of the ending for me. Obsidian was trying to give us closure for our companions, but I think they did a very poor job. To me, it was more of an abandonment than an attempt at closure.

Well the ending can't be worse for the pc than Fallout. You saved the vault without hurting anyone living in the vault(unless you killed them, ah S.P.E.C.I.A.L. was so damn good) and they throw you out as thanks

I liked Fallout's ending, personally. But in Fallout, you're not really given a chance to attach yourself to any place or person. In KOTOR 2, you *can*, and it feels like they're being thrown away.

Funny you should say that Planar Jedi...funny indeed...

And to devs that keep setting up sequels at the ends of the games that came before...Stop that! That really pisses me off. You can always come up with a new situation for the characters of the previous game in the new one, and if you're clever enough you can take something from the previous game and twist it into something wicked in the new...you know where you go this guy was behind it all in the previous game or this person was evil all along?? Or something like that.

But stop that teaser cliffhanger unfinished story ending nonesense, those really ruin your games for me. In situations like that I can't even play that game again until the next one with the ending to the whole story actually comes out because how unsatisfied the previous game left me feeling. And usually those endings never even live up to what the previous game was building up...like most movie trilogies. These endings don't leave me wanting more (Why? Because if I liked the game to begin with I would buy the sequel regardless of any setup in the game before) all it does is make me like the current game less because of an incomplete ending. Especially when games are 40-50 hours long.

The ending was... great. I would've liked to talk to my fellow traveller's one last time, though. I wasn't able to get through everyone's story my first try... in fact, I suspect I didn't get fully through anyone's.

I wish it had been in more detail, but at least you learn what happens to them.

I was sort of afraid of what the ending would turn out like (in terms of answers about what's happened), but it was really incredible. They only give you credits, and the final movie isn't satisfying... at least KotOR I had a final movie. To give someone an impression, it was about what the ending to planescape was as far as satisfaction. It's impressive and horribly, sickeningly fantastic, but it just doesn't give you solid answers.

I don't see it as an ending like Fallout. More in line with Planescape - sad, morose, and very emotional.

To give someone an impression, it was about what the ending to planescape was as far as satisfaction.  It's impressive and horribly, sickeningly fantastic, but it just doesn't give you solid answers.

I don't see it as an ending like Fallout.  More in line with Planescape - sad, morose, and very emotional.

Thanks. Exactly the answer I least wanted to hear, but thank you for telling me.

I actually managed to read the whole thread without reading a single spoiler, yay me! It seems like, if i understand the remarks by others, that Obsidian chose to leave the ending as a satirical pun to LS-users, "No matter what you do, your actions will mean nothing in the long run".

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I still don't understand what everyone thinks the ending is missing. Whatever.

Oh, no! It doesn't say that to LS users. It's perfectly satisfying... more so in certain ways compared to the first game...

What you did matters. The Republic is saved because of you, and your friends touched by what you did with them.

It's still sad, though. I won't tell you what happens at the end... but suffice to say, Revan's and the Exile's fate are the same. At least, if they're both LS. And that fate isn't clear-cut, but for the sake of the story being feasible... I think... they don't say the exact nature of their fate. You are partially right, but I can't tell you how partially right without spoiling the ending. LS and DS are equal, but not necessarily the same.

Well nightcleaver here's why I feel this way about the ending:

Sure your actions save the Republic and touches the lives of those involved, but in the end you remain an outcast. Despite everything the you do, you still end up exactly in the same place where you started and hardly any better off. To me that makes the journey and experience the character goes through meaningless (For the PC since the events change others). So to me that is not a satisfying ending, is not something that I feel well my PC has come full circle and I like where he/she is. Like I mentioned I don't mind that ending included, but for the sake of replayability and above all having a different experience I would have also liked to see a different ending included where I would be happy about how my PC ends up.

And knowing that every time I am going to end up in this same place (DS ending not withstanding) is depressing to me and makes me feel like the time spent is worthless, as I do not receive a payoff in the end. So that's at least how I feel about it and why.

You didn't save the Republic, nightcleaver. The Republic *can't* be saved. No civilzation can. All you can do is delay the inevitable. I didn't mind that, though. I thought it fitting. It echoed Jolee Bindo's statement that we all believe we live in the most important time of our galaxy, when in reality our actions are insignificant. All we can hope to do is live as best we can as people, and hope others can learn from us.

I know, I only meant in the sense that every other novel and video game allows you to save anything. You do with your time what you can, and that's what matters.  When Kreia cynically states that it falls anyway, she's talking about a much larger perspective than we normally think of.

Right. But I don't usually play RPGs (or live my life) to see what I can do for the world (or galaxy) - I do what I can for individuals. Think the Republic means a whit to me? Nope! Just the people living in it. That's why I'm always called unamerican in real life. :D

I finished the game last night as a lightside male and the first thing that came to my mind was, "Thats it?". KOTOR gave me a sense of accomplishment after I beat it. I'm still not sure what I accomplished at the end of KOTOR2. The only reason I can come up with as to why they ended KOTOR2 the way it did, is to set up a sequal where all the questions from KOTOR2 get answered in KOTOR3.

I finished the game last night as a lightside male and the first thing that came to my mind was, "Thats it?".  KOTOR gave me a sense of accomplishment after I beat it.  I'm still not sure what I accomplished at the end of KOTOR2.  The only reason I can come up with as to why they ended KOTOR2 the way it did, is to set up a sequal where all the questions from KOTOR2 get answered in KOTOR3.

The ending almost satisfied me. I fully understood the need for the exile and Revan to do what they did. I just wish it wasn't trying to be PS:T or Fallout.