NFL Playoff predictions

kumquatq3

AFC Leaders:

New England 11-1

Pittsburgh 11-1 (one win from clinching)

Indianapolis 9-3 ( 1 from clinching)

San Diego 9-3

WC contenders:

best

NY Jets 9-3 (Could catch NE)

Baltimore 7-5

Denver 7-5 (Could catch SD)

The Rest:

Buffalo 6-6

Jacksonville 6-6

Cincinnati 6-6

Houston 5-7

NFC Leaders:

Philadelphia 11-1 (clinched)

Green Bay 7-5 (tied record wise with Vikings, Gb owns tie breaker)

Atlanta 9-3 (One win from clinching)

St. Louis 6-6 (tied record wise with Seattle, ST.L owns tie breaker)

Best:

Minnesota 7-5

Seattle 6-6

The Rest:

NY Giants 5-7

Dallas 5-7

Detroit 5-7

Chicago 5-7

Carolina 5-7

Tampa Bay 5-7

My predictions:

AFC:

All current leaders win their divisions

The Jets make it and the Bills win their last four to squeeeeeeek in with a surprise win over Pitts.

NFC:

All current leaders maintain their division lead.

Minnesota and Seattle collapse. I see each team lossing 2 or 3, the team that loses next week (they play each other) will be the one with 3 loses. Minnesota should win at home next week, but 9-7 is no lock, as they could lose some time breakers.

Now this is the hard part, as I can see so many teams take this WC spots....

Let me do it like this, here is what I think "the numbers" tell me:

No shot: Detroit (Run game and Pass game come out once every 3 weekes, schedule medium strength)

Some shot: NY Giants (hurt, pulled Kurt, Manning prolly can't do it this year, tough schedule)

Better shot: Carolina (never underestimate heart) & Cowboys (Their run game is hot, passing game is enough to beat you, the coach has them believing again, but they got a game against Philly (count it as a lose))

Almost there: Chicago (If passing game holds, may hav the best chance to sweep. Most players back from injury) & Tampa Bay ( Much like the Bears in that the defense is clicking and they may have just found a quarter back to lead them)

Best shot: Vikings (Won't be good down the strech, but the 2 game cushion should help)

What makes it so hard is that soooo many of these teams face each other in the final weeks or have several games that would help decide tie breakers.

I say the Vikings win just enough to make it (but they beat seatle next week) and......I have to.......da Bears win their next four.

The 2 WC teams will be 9-7

AFC:

Current division leaders make playoffs.

WC:

NY and Jacksonville.

NFC:

WC:

Minnesota and Chicago.

Super Bowl:

Atlanta for the NFC (and Philidelphia becomes the Buffalo of the NFC Championship game) and the AFC depends on how the brackets come out.

If the Colts play the Steelers instead of the Patriots in the second round, then the Colts will beat the Steelers and the Pats will beat the Colts in the AFC Championship.

If the Colts play the Pats instead of the Steelers in the second round, then the Pats will beat the Colts and will lose to the Steelers in the AFC Chamionship.

Champion:

The AFC (either the Steelers or the Patriots)

"Working for Davik was like driving a spike in the side of your head. Sure, you got something new up there, but in the end, you've lost something as well." - Canderous

"But I though Jedi weren't allowed to love." - Handmaiden

"But some do it anyway. We call it pulling a Bindo." - The Exile

AFC:

WC:

NY and Jacksonville.

NFC:

WC:

Minnesota and Chicago.

Those two teams play each other next week. The loser will have a tought time getting a WC spot.

AFC:

WC:

NY and Jacksonville.

NFC:

WC:

Minnesota and Chicago.

Those two teams play each other next week. The loser will have a tought time getting a WC spot.

True.

"Working for Davik was like driving a spike in the side of your head. Sure, you got something new up there, but in the end, you've lost something as well." - Canderous

Well, true and not true.

I doubt anyone wants to play Buffalo right now. Buffalo has scored 37, 38, 42 and 37 in wins over St. Louis, Seattle, Miami and Cleveland the past month, and their game against N.E. was much closer than the score indicates, iirc

Frankly, no playoff team from the AFC would be that big of a surprise to win it all. They will all be very solid teams. All the divisons are already sealed up, and the Jets all but own a WC spot. The Ravens (rough schedule) Bills, Broncos, and the Jags are in position to take the 2 WC spot. I can see the Ravens, if their QB plays like last week, go all the way. I can see the red hot Bills upset any team in the league. The Broncos might have a chance in hell. The Jags...not going anywhere.

The NFC....well.....there is Philly and Atlan-overrated-ta.

Despite Philly owning them on Monday night, Green Bay has Brett Farve and thats worth something. Just ask John Madden ;)

and the Panthers are hanging in there with a little Cinderella season magic left over from last year.

Other than those 4, I doubt anyone is a threat. I thought the Bears, Bucs, and Cowboys could make it in and at least challenge Philly and the others a little, but all three lost last week (hence they are a long shot).

Minnesota has no ground game or defense to speak of, but I suppose they could do something if they got in a shootout.

Seattle is the poor mans Green Bay.

I'm a Pack fan, but the Packers aren't looking that impressive right now. The only upside to the Pack is you have to believe their O-line will start playing better in December and January. Ahman Green has the talent to play like Marshall Faulk in his prime, but hasn't really been healthy all year long.

Seattle is confused.

I think Carolina is the upcomming team. Their game with Atlanta should answer a lot of questions.

In the AFL, you've got:

San Diego - the team you really don't want to play. Denver statistically has one of the best offenses and defenses in the league. Denver is a complete team on paper (despite Plummer playing like crap lately). San Diego beat Denver down. In the playoffs, they may be more dangerous than the Colts. Peyton chokes against good defenses, where as San Diego has been consistent and overlooked.

NY Jets 9-3 - Injuries and the lack of depth are the main reason the Jets haven't made a serious dent in the playoffs in quite some time. Playing the Patriots won't help them grab a wild card spot.

Baltimore - Their offense isn't a joke anymore. Their defense isn't as great as it once was either. But with some duct tape, they could hold this team together and grab a wildcard spot.

Buffalo - None of those four wins impress me. Miami is horrid. St. Louis has a mediocre QB, and a horrid coach. They love to gamble and throw games away. Seattle has been lost in the sauce all season despite talent on both sides of the ball. Cleveland is just a middle of the road team in turns of talent, despire and coaching.

Jacksonville - Jacksonville may have the most underrated starting QB in the league (where as Jon Kitna is probably the MOST underrated QB in the league. He only put up MVP numbers on a ****ty team last year and got benched because of it). They play close, smart football, and don't lay down. You need to jump on this team and beat them quick. Against high-flying offenses the Jags will fail, but in close games, watch-out.

Cincinnati - Despite a great coach, and a very underrated receiving corps, these guys are still the Bengals with a rookie quarterback who is supposed to perform miracles. I'm just not buying it, and they'd have to win out to even have a shot.

Houston - I like the Texans. They put extra effort into big games because they know they don't have the talent to dominate the entire season. Carr, Davis and Johnson make some exciting skill players for the future. But the future is not now.

Normally I'd be looking forward to the college bowl games, but that's a sore subject in Nebraska right now.

I just heard your former coach Frank Solich just took the job at Ohio University. The MAC has some good schools like Toledo, Bowling Green and Miami (OH) but Ohio has always stunk at football. That is quite a step down for Solich. He

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

Normally I'd be looking forward to the college bowl games, but that's a sore subject in Nebraska right now.

I just heard your former coach Frank Solich just took the job at Ohio University. The MAC has some good schools like Toledo, Bowling Green and Miami (OH) but Ohio has always stunk at football. That is quite a step down for Solich. He

stil have faith in the Cowboys  o:) go ahead laugh at me  :rolleyes:

(w00t) :D :) ^_^ :huh: :D

The Bears are clearly the ones to get that sixth spot :unsure:

It's too bad the Bears won't do anything with that playoff spot. :thumbsup:

Shifting topics slightly,

Do you think Peyton Manning will break Marino's record this week (Sunday Night I believe) against the Ravens? (despite what they say on ESPN)

I wish Solich luck with whatever he does, and where ever he goes. I don't like the direction he took Nebraska as the head coach, but he's a good guy who gave the program the better part of his life.

Here's the problem with the Rose Bowl wanting Pac 10 and Big 10 schools.

Take 1995. Nebraska is undefeated. Penn State is undefeated. Penn State is tied to the Rose Bowl. Nebraska is tied to the Orange Bowl.

Both win. Who is the national champion?

With the old system (which you're calling for) we'd have Oklahoma, USC, Auburn, Boise State and Utah going to five seperate bowl games. How the hell would we figure out who is the champ?

I'd like to see a plus-one game. But right now if Auburn wins, they will likely get a split national championship.

As far as the NFL goes, it's hard for me to maintain a strong interest.

Here's the problem with the Rose Bowl wanting Pac 10 and Big 10 schools.

With the old system (which you're calling for) we'd have Oklahoma, USC, Auburn, Boise State and Utah going to five seperate bowl games.  How the hell would we figure out who is the champ?

Uh, I didn't say I wanted the old system...

Oh, I long for the day when we will have a tournament.....

My dream scenario would be a 16 team tournament in Dec/Jan.

But realistically I hope for an 8 team tournament were you could keep the BCS system to pick the top eight and seed them, then extend the season three weeks and let them go at it. (Yeah, that would conflict with the Bowl games. They'd have to find some place to squeeze them in there.)

stil have faith in the Cowboys  o:) go ahead laugh at me  :lol:

(w00t) :D :) ^_^ :huh: :D

The Bears are clearly the ones to get that sixth spot :unsure:

It's too bad the Bears won't do anything with that playoff spot. :thumbsup:

Shifting topics slightly,

Do you think Peyton Manning will break Marino's record this week (Sunday Night I believe) against the Ravens? (despite what they say on ESPN)

1. You bastard

2. Ray Lewis might not play. If he plays I say Peyton ties the record. If he doesn't, he breaks the record.