Can the Devs do math?

Ah, I haven't gotten there... I just learned you go back to Dxun. :( I'll look at it in when I wake up... so sleepy.

The equation you give is equal to 13. I'll have to wait to see it in the game though.

Addition is done before subtraction

Addition is not done before subtraction. The operators are done in order, from left to right.

Addition is not done before subtraction.  The operators are done in order, from left to right.

Right you are! I'm not playing the game, but based on what you shared, that equation should equal 13.

Operations in paratheses first, then operations on multiplication and division, from left to right and finally addition and subtraction from left to right.

The "addition before subtraction" rule is often taught to children in elementary school. However, some teachers prefer the reverse. When we move on to algebra and other "higher" mathematics, we're taught how to handle more complex equations. Thusly: Ask Dr. Math!

However, next time you play that bit, is negative 5 an option? Might be the developers used an obscure rule most real mathematicians don't use.

Ah, I haven't gotten there... I just learned you go back to Dxun. :)  I'll look at it in when I wake up... so sleepy.

The equation you give is equal to 13.  I'll have to wait to see it in the game though.

Addition is not done before subtraction. The operators are done in order, from left to right.

no, those numbers are listed in order and you have to put the mathmatical symbols in that make the equation equal 13. no subbing numbers

Ah, I haven't gotten there... I just learned you go back to Dxun. :)  I'll look at it in when I wake up... so sleepy.

The equation you give is equal to 13.  I'll have to wait to see it in the game though.

we learnt BIDMAS b-brackets i-indicies d-divide m- multiplication a-add s-subtract

we learnt BIDMAS b-brackets i-indicies d-divide m- multiplication a-add s-subtract

I'm gonna sound like a geek, but: Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally.

Anything in Parentheses first. Exponents next. Multiplication and Division done from left to right at the same time. Addition and Subtraction done from left to right at the same time. :)

Anything in Parentheses first. Exponents next. Multiplication and Division done from right to left at the same time. Addition and Subtraction done from right to left at the same time. :geek:

argh thats confusing we just got taught that by our maths teacher (in england) confusing :p

Perhaps they were looking for -6+2+8+9*1? Or perhaps their parser didn't like the (redundant) parentheses in your answer? Other than that, your answer should have been good. I'm still a good ways from seeing that puzzle, I suspect.

Hope that helps,

My Darth Aunt Dally

Anything in Parentheses first. Exponents next. Multiplication and Division done from right to left at the same time. Addition and Subtraction done from right to left at the same time.  :p

You mean "left to right" on the operator order. 5 - 3 + 7 = 9

Moving from right to left would make it = 5.

I tried the equation you posted GSpotFrenzy and the console blew up on my too. I'm punching numbers right now to see if there is another sequence.

argh thats confusing we just got taught that by our maths teacher (in england) confusing  :p

What grade are you in? That's fairly simple stuff.

I tried the same equation and the damn console blew up..oh well.

*snickers*

Are you offering me a candy bar or making fun of my simple math skills? <_< It was never good at it.

Anything in Parentheses first. Exponents next. Multiplication and Division done from right to left at the same time. Addition and Subtraction done from right to left at the same time.  :p

You mean "left to right" on the operator order. 5 - 3 + 7 = 9

Moving from right to left would make it = 5.

I tried the equation you posted GSpotFrenzy and the console blew up on my too. I'm punching numbers right now to see if there is another sequence.

Yes. Yes, I do. That is exactly what I mean..... :geek:"

*sighs* Gotta go edit....

Perhaps they were looking for -6+2+8+9*1? Or perhaps their parser didn't like the (redundant) parentheses in your answer?  Other than that, your answer should have been good. I'm still a good ways from seeing that puzzle, I suspect.

You haven't reached the computer yet. :p

The numbers GSpotFrenzy listed, and the parentheses, are given to you. You just have to plug in +, -, * or /.

So, the question at hand is replace the '_' below with an operator to make the statement true.

(6 _ 2) _ 8 _ 9 _ 1 = 13

Perhaps they were looking for -6+2+8+9*1? Or perhaps their parser didn't like the (redundant) parentheses in your answer?  Other than that, your answer should have been good. I'm still a good ways from seeing that puzzle, I suspect.

You haven't reached the computer yet. ;)

The numbers GSpotFrenzy listed, and the parentheses, are given to you. You just have to plug in +, -, * or /.

So, the question at hand is replace the '_' below with an operator to make the statement true.

(6 _ 2) _ 8 _ 9 _ 1 = 13

Ah. Then give (6/2)*8-9*1 (and /1) a try. Silly developers must just be doing string matching rather than actually calculating the result.

I'm glad I read this spoiler... I would have really have been pulling my hair out if I tried a valid answer while playing the game and it failed.

You haven't reached the computer yet. ;)

(6 _ 2) _ 8 _ 9 _ 1 = 13

Ah. Then give (6/2)*8-9*1 (and /1) a try. Silly developers must just be doing string matching rather than actually calculating the result.

I'm glad I read this spoiler... I would have really have been pulling my hair out if I tried a valid answer while playing the game and it failed.

umm that doesnt add up to 13