Wonderful Game/Frustrating Bugs

Like most everyone else, I was waiting with bated breath all year to see this game. I even went to the Tokyo video game show, hoping for a glimpse (okay, I went for other reasons too. But hoping to see KOTOR2 was a big part of the trip.)

The story-telling hasn't disappointed me at all. I love the new, darker feel. It is eerie to visit the ruins of places that were part of the original game -- it makes this game truly feel like a continuation of the original, while adding to the noir-like feeling of dread in the plot. Very smart, very entertaining. I love the added complexity of the whole "influencing people." Everyone who worked on KOTOR2 is to be commended -- it's just so clear that this was a game made by people who truly loved the original. In other words, it's a game made by professionals, who are also fans.

My one big complaint is that for me, at least, this game has been incredibly buggy. The frame freezes over and over. I had made it through a great deal of Koriban, carefully saving along the way because I had already had to turn off the game a few times to reboot. Suddenly, the disc froze. When I got the game up and running again, about 2 hours of play had mysteriously disappeared.

I'm seeing similar complaints about frozen/jumping screens, particulalry in combat scenes.

I would really appreciate some sort of recommendation from Obsidian itself as to what you suggest players like me do. Should I get a new disk? Do we know what factors contribute to this problem? How new does an XBox need to be to avoid these issues? Is it a certain batch of disks?

I'm really enthusiastic about this game, and want to help spread the word about how truly great a creative effort it is. But the technical aspects are frustrating to me. Some guidance from someone who knows a heck of a lot more about how to handle the problems I'm having would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

sounds like your Xbox. Mine had zero issues with HALO 2, and the only issues it has with KOTOR2 are the framerate drops (which we all knew about). have had zero freezes and no game-breaking glitches......but I am not yet in Korriban. I'll report back if I do, though.

as is, I suspect your Xbox is to blame.....sorry

I'm having the same glitches on two xboxes, mine and a friend. Mine is old, friend's is brand spankin' new. Both of us are having major glitch problems. Your xbox shouldn't matter. It's all technically the same hardware. You paid 200 (+/-) bucks for the system, then another 50 bucks for the game. They call it Quality Assurance for a reason. Apparently someone didn't do their job.

Ok, between this board and the one on LucasArts' site, there are over 100 complaints about this issue. It aint the Xbox, its the game. I am astonished such a big game could be released in sush a poor state. My Xbox has never had a problem and with this game, I get a black screen at some points. No way to avoid it. Crappola!

Ok, between this board and the one on LucasArts' site, there are over 100 complaints about this issue. It aint the Xbox, its the game. I am astonished such a big game could be released in sush a poor state. My Xbox has never had a problem and with this game, I get a black screen at some points. No way to avoid it. Crappola!

Sorry, I know I'm new here, but I just wanted to mention this:

After the release of EVERY new game, this happens. People start jumping on forums complaining about this bug or that bug. You say that there are over one hundred complaints about the same situation. One hundred out of how many copies sold? That's a VERY small percentage. I'm sure there are more but still, statistically a small percentage. I'm not saying your complaints aren't valid, I'm just saying that the people having problems with the game are a vocal minority. The people who aren't having trouble simply don't run out to jump on a forum and start yelling about having no problems with a game. The game hasn't been out very long, give them a chance to fix it first. I've been playing Ghost Recon 2 since the day it was released and it has it's fair share of bugs. Ubi has just acknowledged this fact after over a month and said there will be a patch forthcoming. If you truly want a fix, you have to give them more than a week to make one.

Now, I haven't gone through all the forums, so maybe they said they won't fix it, and if that's the case then that is truly a bummer. However, if they haven't said that, then let them figure out what to do to fix it. Sure it's good to let them know what problems you're having and give them details because that helps them fix the situation, but to bash the company that delivered such a great overall game experience is silly. I know your frustration, believe me, but give them more than a week or 2 to fix it.

Flame away, I know some will, but I believe in being reasonable and software development is notorious for this sort of thing. It's just not possible to completely playtest every aspect of a piece of software of this magnitude and unfortunately that means that you and I become the playtesters.

I don't know to many console games that have had glitches that make the game unplayable, but Kotor 2 has some glitches in it that are just unaccaptable. I for one could not even get past the first load screen, and many other people have had similar problems, and I do believe there will be more complaints come Christmas. I for one will not be buying future products from Obsidian.

I have heard that the problems most people are having is do because they have an older model xbox..(thompson drive). Which i think is the problem because i have a brand new xbox and i haven't had any freezes up or any other problems with the game.. =/

I have heard that the problems most people are having is do because they have an older model xbox..(thompson drive). Which i think is the problem because i have a brand new xbox and i haven't had any freezes up or  any other problems with the game.. =/

Why should that matter though? and it should not because they know that alot of people including myself have a old xbox. So they are basically saying that if you have a old xbox your screwed sorry?. This game should work on all xboxs not just the new ones that is unexcuseable in my book and they should replace the game with a working game that works on a old xbox instead of ripping my $50.00 off for a non working game because my xbox is old my other games work but not this i dont think i will by another obsidian game either unless they resolve this problem. The game is a coaster now in my home?. Technically i know its not there fault microsoft is at fault with putting out crappy drives in the launch consoles but man come on!.

After the release of EVERY new game, this happens. People start jumping on forums complaining about this bug or that bug. You say that there are over one hundred complaints about the same situation. One hundred out of how many copies sold? That's a VERY small percentage. I'm sure there are more but still, statistically a small percentage. I'm not saying your complaints aren't valid, I'm just saying that the people having problems with the game are a vocal minority. The people who aren't having trouble simply don't run out to jump on a forum and start yelling about having no problems with a game. The game hasn't been out very long, give them a chance to fix it first. I've been playing Ghost Recon 2 since the day it was released and it has it's fair share of bugs. Ubi has just acknowledged this fact after over a month and said there will be a patch forthcoming. If you truly want a fix, you have to give them more than a week to make one.

Now, I haven't gone through all the forums, so maybe they said they won't fix it, and if that's the case then that is truly a bummer. However, if they haven't said that, then let them figure out what to do to fix it. Sure it's good to let them know what problems you're having and give them details because that helps them fix the situation, but to bash the company that delivered such a great overall game experience is silly. I know your frustration, believe me, but give them more than a week or 2 to fix it.

Flame away, I know some will, but I believe in being reasonable and software development is notorious for this sort of thing. It's just not possible to completely playtest every aspect of a piece of software of this magnitude and unfortunately that means that you and I become the playtesters.

PC get patches not consoles I would have rather waited till feb for the game and have the game bug free or less buggy even it frezzes it restarts charters walk tough some walls

The freezing could be explained by old drives perhaps, but the broken quests and the fact that my copy of KOTOR freezes at the Dantooine 'revelation' scene if you're playing DS have nothing to do with drives. It's just bugs in programming. I thought companies paid hundreds to professional debuggers, or at the least had a debugging staff.

I wouldn't hold your breath for a patch on the console. The original KotOR had a rule breaking bug with the double lightsaber and a bug that would completely break the game if you used stealth at the wrong time, plus that whole Galaxy Droid thing. None of those problems were ever fixed on the Xbox. And this game has many, many more little things wrong, like animation snaps, model clipping, conversation segments being skipped, broken dialog trees, skill and power inconsistencies.... Besides which, any fix that did come would require a subscription to Xbox Live, which is added money. And I'm still skeptical the game can be fixed through a patch to begin with or whether the devs even are thinking about doing so.

i havent had too many glitch problems (aside from slowdown and framerates)

What is killing me is the content that's missing. Force powers that dont work. (shield, and defense bonuses for speed). No way to return to the Hawk even though it's IN THE MANUAL.

And honestly, I didnt expect them to say anything but after the sense of community around here during the dev process I wish they would say SOMETHING.

I had this problem also and I was running it on a new X Box I returned the game 2days after release because I couldnt get more than 15 mins into it due to all the freezes. The newer copy that I got has played with virtually no problems, but about 20+ hrs in It started to occasionally freeze for a brief moment maybe 5 sec at its worst but this is rare and certainly not as bad as the first copy nor is it game ending and I havent had to restart or anything so I can live with it and I am fairly intolerant of slow down and freezing so this new copy is much better. Also I checked the number in the bootom right of the back of the box for the disc (large number 2 million somthing or other) and noticed that the new copy was approx 30 copies later than the 1 st copy that I got, leading me to believe that the problem lies in the burn not the X Box. If you have these problems I suugest a new copy of the game, it helped me. I dont blame Obsidian, though I hope there is somthing that can be done before KOTOR III (wishful thinking) but I do think they should find another company to produce the discs next time. Great game get a new copy if you have problems and I hope that will fix it for you as it helped me greatly.

• 3 months later...

hi everyone

i have expirienced a bug which is annoying me beyond all .... (can`t find a

word to describe my anger ) .

Ok now I'm @ Nar Shadaa my first planet after Telos and my intention was

to forge my own light sabre . BUT i can't complete the Sidequest with the Hutt.

Because i can`t enter a special area in the Docks .

Its located near the lair of Vocca ,the walkthrough says that i have to overhear

a conversation about kakh - hounds there to go on in the quest .

The problem is the doors to this place, they doesn't exist means u can't do anything

to them .

PS sry about my language i'm not that good @ english