Xbox version not released until Feb 2005

I have called several, but it won't be released until 11 Feb 2005. Says exactly the same on Amazon too

And I doubt there will be any extra content on the Xbox to make up for the delay, just like there wasn't with the original KOTOR

The PC gamers got extra features in the original to make up for their delay, but not us Xboxers

Grrr!!!

I have called several, but it won't be released until 11 Feb 2005.  Says exactly the same on Amazon too

And I doubt there will be any extra content on the Xbox to make up for the delay, just like there wasn't with the original KOTOR

The PC gamers got extra features in the original to make up for their delay, but not us Xboxers

Grrr!!!

I assume your waiting on the international release which comes out in February along with the PC version? The U.S. Xbox release is out as the previous poster stated.

Yep, the majority of the world has to wait until Feb 2005 to play this game

It is very annoying the way this always seems to happen, not just with this game either. Many gamers are continually fed up with this situation as it has been going on for years

I had hoped the Xbox would bring a fresh approach to this problem, but it seems to be just the way it always has been with the Japanese releases

Oh well... :thumbsup:

I checked a couple of sites today and the Xbox version of KOTOR II is definitely not going to be released until 11 Feb 2005

I really wanted to play this over Christmas, but looks like I'll have to wait

Why couldn't Obsidian release it sooner?  :p

Yup! we Internationals Xboxers and PC'ers unfortunly have to wait :(

US Xbox version came out on December 6th 2004 but the rest of the world had too wait till Feburary 2005 so don't worry you are not the only one to suffer the pain ok? I am drooling over the game too as I am from Australia and I have to wait painfully till Feburary...which sounds like a century away.

I can't understand why they're doing this. Not only is it annoying it also promotes illegal copies and warez because that's the only way most people can get a hold of it.

If they're gonna' release it more than two months later it should at least contain some fixes, extra-materials or something else that makes it worth waiting for.

Is there a difference in the US and English version? Or, are they making Enland wait for the Spanish, French, and German version? Is your X-Box coded differently ( like dvds)? Lastly is there a gray market for these games? I know people who bought Japanese games because they could not wait for US release. :">

I'm in the us. If ya'll wanna pay me, I'll ship you guys the game early from america lol.

Welcome to the Pink side of the Force

Revenge is a dish best served in a warm, pink tupperware dish!

Grrrr to Atris! Snooty, stuck-up little....

Pink Side Master to Darth Gandalf, Trooper, Ronil Organ, Bokishi, Mr_Dashman, Stargate: 2000, mista_me, DarthDoGooder, GarethCarrots, Ludozee, and Obi-Wan Kenobi

Is there a difference in the US and English version?  Or, are they making Enland wait for the Spanish, French, and German version?  Is your X-Box coded differently ( like dvds)?  Lastly is there a gray market for these games?  I know people who bought Japanese games because they could not wait for US release.  :">

Language wise we are usually given the American version perhaps with an English manual. So in reality we are really just waiting for the Spanish, French, and German versions to be added.

So in theory all the other English speaking countries do not actually need to wait.

My understanding of the Xbox hardware is that it is not region encoded in the hardware for games. The DVD playback facility works differently. The DVD region is also not initially encoded. But when you buy a DVD controller and plug it in then the DVD region becomes locked at that point. So I could lock my Xbox DVD feature for the US.

However, there is no "hardware" region lock for the games.

The way region locking works for the games is that Microsoft have said that it is up to developers to decide whether or not to region lock the game itself. So in theory any Xbox in the world can play US games that are not region locked in the game.

But there may only be one or two games in existence that are not region locked.

The next problem is NTSC vs PAL. US and Japanese TVs use NTSC. Most of the rest of the world uses PAL. BUT modern PAL TVs also support NTSC. My TV can. So for me the NTSC issue ought not to be a problem.

Interestingly the Gamecube can play import games with an official disc that you can buy that enables it. Ironically I believe it was Nintendo themselves who first started this region locking "problem" because they wanted to control the market better? Good for them I guess, but a problem for game fanatics.

Is there a grey market in the world for US and Japanese games? Most definitely yes. I can buy US and Japanese games here in England from certain import shops. I can also order from say Hong Kong but then get stung by Customs Import Taxes!! You can also (occasionally) buy US and Japanese Xboxes.

Two reasons for importing are:

- the game will never be released in the rest of the world (rare but sometimes happens)

- the rest of the world has to wait (happens for almost all games)

Importing US games poses no problems for language, does for Japanese (for English speakers)

The problem is manufacturers do not like grey imports. But on the other hand they mostly do nothing to stop the need for importing.

Halo 2 and a few other games get released worldwide at about the same time, so no problem there.

Unfortunately KOTOR is not one of those games, so we have to wait for it :thumbsup:

But if the game wasn't region locked and the manufacturers allowed it then I could order a US copy of the game and start playing it right now

Oh well...

It's two months I guess. Hopefully I'm getting Halo 2 this Saturday, and definately getting Battlefront, so they'll keep be preoccupied. But this is quite bad, considering its quite tempting to look at the Spoilers and stuff. I agree on the point about Halo 2, that it came out only a few days after the US version.

If only TSL was like that! haha.

Least I know I won't be depressed, considering the good rating it got. I'm patient as well, and it won't be too long until February, really.

I think that the UK version should correct the spelling of armor to armour.

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

Chances are you'll need a Modchip, Skye. I had a friend ship me over some used games from the US to see if it'd work and it didn't. So I got a Modchip and I finished TSL yesterday.

But; as was said here, this problem needs to be dealt with. There is no reason for all the English speaking countries in Europe, as well as Australia to be made to wait for French, German and Spanish translations that they are never going to play regardless.

This regionalisation has to stop, prefferrably by means of the game studios stepping up to the plate and saying that they will just stop it and then following through on it.

The other option is the one I took. A modchip. My Xbox will play whatever I toss into it now. But for the next gen consoles; I've already decided that I'll have a friend in the US buy me one and ship it over here. Both the hardware and the games are cheaper in the US anyway.

There is no reason for all the English speaking countries in Europe, as well as Australia to be made to wait for French, German and Spanish translations that they are never going to play regardless.

If there truly was no reason, there would be no delay. International release of most products takes time to arrange for myriad reasons. Distribution rights, contracts for manufacturing and financials, language issues (getting new voice-overs, subtitltes, proper packaging, etc), trade/import legalities, being amongst them.

I'm actually surprised the international release of KOTOR2 is happening only two months after the North American release.

Also, international release arrangements are handled by Atari and their international partners; Obsidian has nothing to do with any of it.

newlogo.gif

There is no reason for all the English speaking countries in Europe, as well as Australia to be made to wait for French, German and Spanish translations that they are never going to play regardless.

If there truly was no reason, there would be no delay. International release of most products takes time to arrange for myriad reasons. Distribution rights, contracts for manufacturing and financials, language issues (getting new voice-overs, subtitltes, proper packaging, etc), trade/import legalities, being amongst them.

I'm actually surprised the international release of KOTOR2 is happening only two months after the North American release.

Also, international release arrangements are handled by Atari and their international partners; Obsidian has nothing to do with any of it.

I can understand that this is probably way out of Obsidian's hands

As for the other points, yep probably valid points

However no reason for the publishers not to try and improve the situation such that the customer comes first, and if that means making changes to the way things are done then so be it

The NA release could have been delayed so everyone felt one and no possibility of spoilers. You could say that how many people come here and will read spoilers? True, but then again this is the only dev forum for KOTOR 2 so you cant exclude 6.2 billion people and penalise them because they dont live in NA. The fans and potential fans should be important and treated fairly

Is the bottom line simply money?

That's all good reasons, but I think in today

That's all good reasons, but I think in today