Bonus strength damage Half with Offhand

Hmm, I don't think it was implemented that way in KOTOR1. I don't know if I agree with that though. I mean yeah you maybe less accurate with your offhand but the strength is applied from the whole upper body with a successful blow.

This makes strength less appealing now compared to dexterity especially with the weapon finesse feat (to allow the dexterity bonus to apply to meelee and lightsabers). Wonder if the finesse feat applies to certain classes of meelee weapons only. Like vibroblades but not vibroswords and axes?? The reason I went for strength before is because meelee weapons always used strength and the first game had only meelee weapons available to your PC.

I think the penalty to hit was enough without lessening the bonus damage.

P.S. I got that info from the excert of the Prima strategy guide you can download from kotor2.com

Maybe it is the game developer's attempt to balance out single weapon combat. If you take away some of the bonuses of using two weapons, more people will probably choose one. In the movies, most people use one blade, so they could want it to be true to "real life" Star Wars.

It's good for balance.

And it does make sense. A punch with your right hand is more powerful than a punch with your left. (Assuming you're right handed) And if you punched with both at once, both of them would probably be less powerful.

i was gonna say that.

Hmm, I don't think it was implemented that way in KOTOR1.  I don't know if I agree with that though.  I mean yeah you maybe less accurate with your offhand but the strength is applied from the whole upper body with a successful blow.

This makes strength less appealing now compared to dexterity especially with the weapon finesse feat (to allow the dexterity bonus to apply to meelee and lightsabers).  Wonder if the finesse feat applies to certain classes of meelee weapons only.  Like vibroblades but not vibroswords and axes??  The reason I went for strength before is because meelee weapons always used strength and the first game had only meelee weapons available to your PC.

I think the penalty to hit was enough without lessening the bonus damage.

P.S. I got that info from the excert of the Prima strategy guide you can download from kotor2.com

Actually, it is true that you cannot swing as hard with one hand as you can with two hands. Try it with a baseball bat or tennis racket and you'll understand. With a two-handed weapon, you're supposed to get a bonus of (strength bonus)*1.5 to represent that you can hit harder by swinging one weapon with two hands and with two weapons you get (strength bonus)*1 in your main and (strength bonus)*0.5 in your offhand to represent that your main hand is stronger than your offhand. These are the rules in D&D 3.5 and in PnP, and they make pretty good sense.

IRT#1

I think that it adds a sense of realism to the game, I mean in real life are you going to be able to swing a sword with as much power with you offhand?

Yay 500 :D

Where is the bell, wait for the bell, k i need the bell, wait the bell! Ding bonda dong! Ding bonda dong! Ding bonda dong! Ding bonda dong!

Kazic wants you.... to join the pinkside!

not quite true with the tennis racquet man, as the professional players' one handed forehands are definitely the main weapon versus their two-handed backhands.  the one hand gives freedom of motion, meaning you can generate more speed, and thus more force.

But the backhand is weaker not because its two handed but because its coming mainly from the offhand. True comparison would be one-handed backhand vs. two-handed backhand. One-handed offers more freedom, but two-handed is well-known to offer more power and stability.

Physics lesson for the day: Force is proportional to acceleration, not speed. So if you swing one handed through a really wide range, you can get a high speed without much force. Using two hands, you can get the same speed through a much shorter range due to higher acceleration, and THIS is what tells you you have more force.

Try chopping wood using one hand, then two and tell me which gives you more force. Try hitting a baseball using one hand on the bat and tell me which gives more force.

No, the force of two hands is the force of right hand plus the force of left hand. The game mechanics reflect this.

Yeah, the lack of control reduces the force effective force, even if the muscles are as strong. Wouldn't matter since a lightsaber should have no resistance, but then there aren't one-hit kills and they don't go right though people but act more like baseball bats than swords even, so whatever.

Still, I wouldn't think that a double-bladed saber should get a higher strength bonus than a single saber. More damage, sure, cause there's...uh, two blades, but maybe a lesser to hit rating. Both of those are swung with two hands, as opposed to one melee weapon in each hand.

Does that strength bonus times 1.5 thing go for single sabers or just double-bladed? I think it should because a Jedi would generally swing his saber with both hands if its his only weapon, but then again, I don't write D20 rules.

I think that Jedi/Sith with two sabers should be few and far between, so I'm all for requiring some serious dedication (spending lots of feats) toward the ability to overcome big penalties.

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

I think that Jedi/Sith with two sabers should be few and far between, so I'm all for  requiring some serious dedication (spending lots of feats) toward the ability to overcome big penalties.

I agree, ever since episode 1 games have overly abused these lightsaber forms. Why stop at 2 blades? Why not make a triangular hilt to hold onto with 3 blades coming out? Why not carry two double bladed lightsaber. It looks cool every now and then, but gimme a break :huh:

Does that strength bonus times 1.5 thing go for single sabers or just double-bladed? I think it should because a Jedi would generally swing his saber with both hands if its his only weapon, but then again, I don't write D20 rules.

Its supposed to be like this:

Single saber: damage bonus=(strength bonus)*1.5 (bigger bonus lumped into one attack)

Two sabers: main hand bonus=(strength bonus)*1.0 offhand bonus=(strength bonus)*0.5 (extra attack, bonus divided between strikes)

Wait, so are the PnP rules actually used in Kotor 2, or passed by as in Kotor 1? I was rather disappointed by how Kotor 1 so obviously favored double/dual sabers over single, not having implemented the 1.5x damage on large weapons thing.

In tennis it's a question of acceleration ... in fencing it's also an acceleration issue. Lightsabers (note the word saber) should rely more heavily on acceleration than strength?

:-"

Anyhow, just stating that while the physics lessons are admirable, you'd expect a weapon to be deadlier the faster it was swung ... expecially if the blade isn't exactly "breakable". Strength only comes into the question when ... you're REALLY weak .... or perhaps if you wanted to crush someone's armor. Since it's a energy-ish weapon, I'm thinking the crushing part doesn't really factor in?

Bah whatever. :(