Game development school- worth it?

Kaftan Barlast

In Sweden there are universities(2) that offer education in game development, a full university program of maybe 3-4 years. Its one basic year of broad learning programming, modeling and animation and then the program offers branches with advanced in depth studies of each(theres also writer/concept and a sound/music branches available)

But I wonder if its really worth it? The picture I get of the gaming industry is that experience is what really counts, not schooling. Am I wrong? Would a company hire someone fresh out of uni without any commercial game titles in the belt?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

The picture I get of the gaming industry is that experience is what really counts, not schooling. Am I wrong? Would a company hire someone fresh out of uni without any commercial game titles in the belt?

Companies hire people without any commecial game titles under their belt, but they just generally like to have people that have done so, or that have the experience that they're looking for.

The picture I get of the gaming industry is that experience is what really counts, not schooling.

Interesting catch 22 of the gaming industry. Almost all positions require 2 years experience in the gaming industry. If you don't have experience now, you won't when you get your first job :ermm:

School can't hurt, so why not boost your chances?

Well, we all got our first jobs in the industry somehow. o:)

A formal education does help -- at the very least, it shows that you are able to pursue and complete a goal. And if it's a good program, then you'll learn some tools and ideas that will help you both interview well (because you'll understand game development better) and be more successful in your early career.

That being said, we have brilliant people here who haven't completed college. A degree is certainly not a requirement. Attitude and competency are much more important. I doubt that anyone is hired into game development for their degree. People are hired for who they are and what they can bring to a team. But if you're looking for a game job out of high school, your would-be employer probably has little proof that you're going to be able to succeed in this industry.

My advice would be to get the degree. But I don't think it necessarily has to be in game development (at this point I think most game development programs are still figuring out how to do things). Enjoy college and all that it offers -- you'll likely make some of the best friendships of your life there. Take the opportunity to learn more about game development and yourself and your interests.

Kevin

Wouldn't a person be able to gain "experience" in a manner similar to how some IT people get that mandatory 2 years experience? A person starting out in IT should be building networks at home, in his college dorm, where ever he can to gain experience. Even volunteer work can count as experience. Getting paid does not equate to experience. Getting involved, going through the steps, learning from your mistakes, etc, are all part of "experience".

With that in mind, couldn't a gaming hopeful chalk up mods and even flash games and such that she may create as "experience" to include on their resume? On top of that, a portfolio of sorts? I'm not a game developer, but I would think to want to see a batch of original work from a candidate. If said candidate sat in college for 4 years getting her gaming degree, yet have nothing physical to show for it, I would question the person's enthusiasm.