Designer Rambling: Amnesia

chris a might be expecting too much from folks. if first impressions makes folks think that the character is suffering from amnesia, then some other explanation will be hard for many to consider. subtlety is often wasted and even if writer thinks he made the alternative explanation obvious, the player will hold on tenaciously to their initial categorization

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

What else did he blatantly lie about in his review?? Hmm...

You know what? I think I'm going to subscribe to gamespot for one month, just to give the game a totally awesome, actually ARTICULATE review that completely gushes about the game and questions the intelligence of that reviewer (isn't he the lead editor or something??), or at least questions whether he played the same game I did. Of course, I'll have to play the game first, and if it's not that good... I won't. But given that this guy BLATANTLY LIED and totally GLAZED OVER THE FACT THAT THE F'in PC DOESN'T HAVE AMNESIA, I really doubt the validity of this review.

Someone needs to go post a review. Someone who's played the game, and can totally wipe the floor with this guy. The one that's posted so far, well... it doesn't do any justice. It could even be fake. Can't blame the poor sod, though.

And we should all go and rate the game, too... This is crazy...

This thread was brought to my attention in the GameSpot forums. I'm the author of the review in question. I just want to acknowledge that I've amended the specific point referenced by this thread, which occurred in the review's second paragraph. For what it's worth, though, the distinction that the player is purposely kept unaware of the character's past, but the character him- or herself is supposedly aware of his or her past, went over my head during the course of the the dozens of hours I spent playing the game. Otherwise, I wouldn't have made a statement that was factually inaccurate. So I regret the error. If you take further issue with any of the review's claims, I invite you to email me directly at greg@gamespot.com.

This thread was brought to my attention in the GameSpot forums. I'm the author of the review in question. I just want to acknowledge that I've amended the specific point referenced by this thread, which occurred in the review's second paragraph. For what it's worth, though, the distinction that the player is purposely kept unaware of the character's past, but the character him- or herself is supposedly aware of his or her past, went over my head during the course of the the dozens of hours I spent playing the game. Otherwise, I wouldn't have made a statement that was factually inaccurate. So I regret the error. If you take further issue with any of the review's claims, I invite you to email me directly at greg@gamespot.com.

Well, it's not just an issue with your review, in particular, but the heavy emphasis on graphics; granted you are right, they haven't improved, and for a hot X-Box title, it doesn't look too good, but I just want to point out that that was never their intention, to make the game look good, and it certainly doesn't look so bad as to first thing I think when I play the game is "Aw dude, this game looks like junk". I certainly won't notice, until after a while. This isn't just your review in particular; this is also anoter review.

Well, it's not just an issue with your review, in particular, but the heavy emphasis on graphics; granted you are right, they haven't improved, and for a hot X-Box title, it doesn't look too good, but I just want to point out that that was never their intention, to make the game look good, and it certainly doesn't look so bad as to first thing I think when I play the game is "Aw dude, this game looks like junk". I certainly won't notice, until after a while. This isn't just your review in particular; this is also anoter review.

In fairness, I don't think the gamespot review was as guilty of this. But I agree that it seemed rather....a waste of time (for lack of a better phrase) that most reviews spend so much time talking about the graphics, and so little time talking about the story or the new features when, in fact, it's been known by most who have followed the development of this game that graphics was never going to be it's selling point.

IMO, that would be like spending 75% of a review talking about Halo2's character development, rather than focussing on the fact it's a FPS and discussing aspects that are most sought after in a FPS.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

In fairness, I don't think the gamespot review was as guilty of this. But I agree that it seemed rather....a waste of time (for lack of a better phrase) that most reviews spend so much time talking about the graphics, and so little time talking about the story or the new features when, in fact, it's been known by most who have followed the development of this game that graphics was never going to be it's selling point.

IMO, that would be like spending 75% of a review talking about Halo2's character development, rather than focussing on the fact it's a FPS and discussing aspects that are most sought after in a FPS.

Couldn't agree more.

I think GoA speaks the truth, about the ups and downs of the review. People can't really criticize the review because they haven't really played the game, but when comparing slightly improved graphics to a game like Halo 2 which specializes in graphics is a little unfair.

Just so people are clear, Greg Kasavan's post here didn't have anything to do with graphics; rather, it had to do with the amnesia part of the review.

Also, to be fair, only one paragraph in GS's 3 page review focused on the graphics, with a couple of other mentions throughout the review. And though a 6 may seem low, the original only got a 7 in graphics at GS, so it's not really that surprising.

Maria,

Not trying to be rude/mean/liberal, just informative...

Chris Avellone is the lead developer on KoTOR2.  If he says (types) something, you can be pretty sure it's the gospel truth.

Hades_One is... well... Hades_One.  You know how there are two sides to every coin?  Well, Hades represents the time when the coin lands on its side, then explodes in cheesy gooeyness.    His opinions, while I don't think very many agree with him, are always well expressed.  (if not inflammatory, seditious, or genocidal)

If a post is factual and on topic, it's Mr. Avellones.  If it has anything to do wiping out varying cultures, it's Hades.

Hope that helps...

OMG!! How stupid can you people GET!!!! SHE*S JOKING dumba**ess!!!!

I can't believe some people. I almost choked when i read this. So serious a response... She's joking! Get it!!! Have to go kill someone... And man even some "veteran's" with 300+ didn't get it... <_<

I can't believe some people. I almost choked when i read this. So serious a response... She's joking! Get it!!! Have to go kill someone... And man even some "veteran's" with 300+ didn't get it... <_<

I suppose I got pretty stupid there... I just thought I'd break with forum tradition and try and be helpful.

I suppose I got pretty stupid there... I just thought I'd break with forum tradition and try and be helpful.

Hehe, sorry for my outbusrt, i just couldn't get it how so many wouldn't get it. And i didin't mean you in particaular. I just happened to qoute your reply...

Don't take me too seriously, it's early here and i'm just tired :ermm:

Since you're new i'll welcome you to the forums:

Welcome to the forums :thumbsup:

I dunno, this sounds like nothing more then word play to me.

When I start this game, I won't know the PC's back story. There is not going to be some little history in the manual filling me in on my char. The fact that HE/SHE does and revels it thoughout the game via dialogue is kinda besides the point. I mean it's the PC right? MY in game avatar. If I don't know something it's rather odd that my PC does and just doesn't feel like telling me about it right now.

The device used is that the PC is filling me in using dialogue with NPCs but how is this fundametally different then the NPCs filling me in via dialogue with the PC? It's not like the PC is going to give me hints on how they feel they should handle situations vis-a-vis their past. So from a game play standpoint, my PC might as well have ammnesia.

I understand why this is done and I even to a point agree with it (a little info wouldn't hurt too much I believe) but if it walks like a duck.......

Gotag

How does having "300" posts have anything to do with how much of a "veteren" somebody is? Oh, look at me, I've been following Black Isle then Interplay and now Obsidianent since 2000! I registered long before you! I win!!!2111!!!!1

OMG WTF I AM VATERN.

I meant that the ones who have more posts should be able to recognise when someone they've seen posting for such a long time that he/she's joking.

Darth Nemisis,

What an ugly thing to say.

Viper1000,

"Um hello he's the LEAD DESIGNER for KOTOR 2. He came up with the stinkin' storyline. He can do and say whatever he wants."

I've been on this board for three month. The lead developer posts under the handle of "Hades One". Just do a scan of his posts if you don't believe me.

BWAAAAHAAAAHAAAAAAAA! ROTFLMAO! (w00t)

Gods, I wish. :D

BWAAAAHAAAAHAAAAAAAA!

Darth Nemisis,

Viper1000,

"Um hello he's the LEAD DESIGNER for KOTOR 2. He came up with the stinkin' storyline. He can do and say whatever he wants."

I've been on this board for three month. The lead developer posts under the handle of "Hades One". Just do a scan of his posts if you don't believe me.

/remove Blunt from Maria's hand

I think you've had enough for 1 lifetime :geek:

Darth Nemisis,

Viper1000,

BWAAAAHAAAAHAAAAAAAA! ROTFLMAO! (w00t)

Gods, I wish. :D

BWAAAAHAAAAHAAAAAAAA!

So does this mean you're not the lead designer??? >_<

So does this mean you're not the lead designer???  :(

Maybe Hades_One and Chris Avellone are the same person. It all makes sense now. There has to be a reason Hades has never been reprimanded by the mods or admin here. :ph34r: :)"

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)