Reason for console version appearing before PC

I didn't say it was why I thought the PC was delayed; I said it was a possibility for why the XBox seemed rushed, and that PC compatibility testing was probably all that caused it.

As for DSLuke: does the rest of the world care that much about commercial Christmas? I think Christmas started in Europe, but Americans are the ones known for being materialistic. Translation definitely shouldn't take that long; I don't know about NTSC-PAL conversion (though I doubt that it's time consuming).

Got to admit that Americans go crazy over the Xmas period and buy everything, so yes the sales of the game in US will be boosted significanlty if it was released before Xmas (as it is the case).

IMO the game would seel better if it was released before Xmas also in the rest of the world.

Since Xmas is a nice vacation period for students etc. so they have more time and money to spend on video games.

Many people also buy PCs and consoles during that period everywhere in the world (maybe Americans a bit more).

On a different note, if you think of it we waited for this game only a year and 3-4 months. Which is usually a short amount of time to get a sequel.

And by the light of the moon

He prays for their beauty not doom

I didn't say it was why I thought the PC was delayed; I said it was a possibility for why the XBox seemed rushed, and that PC compatibility testing was probably all that caused it.

As for DSLuke: does the rest of the world care that much about commercial Christmas?  I think Christmas started in Europe, but Americans are the ones known for being materialistic.  Translation definitely shouldn't take that long; I don't know about NTSC-PAL conversion (though I doubt that it's time consuming).

Ok, but why would PC testing make them bring out the Xbox version sooner? Surely they would set everything back, if they did anything at all?

P.S. I'm not being pedantic or anything, I just genuinely don't get it. :">

Blue lorry yellow lorry blue lorry yellow lorry blorry. D'oh.

Well they have to translate the text dialogue for localized versions.

I expect the PAL version have a choice of english, german and french (possibly italian and spanish as well).

Without a doubt they rush the game, I suspect they intended to release the Xbox version around November with the PC version being one/two months after it.

drakron.png

Ok, but why would PC testing make them bring out the Xbox version sooner?  Surely they would set everything back, if they did anything at all?

P.S. I'm not being pedantic or anything, I just genuinely don't get it. :">

Money.

If product A1 is complete and ready for shipping, you don't pass up a marketing period like the Christmas holidays just because product A2 isn't done yet. You put the completed producted on the market, rake in the dough, and worry about getting the other product out as quickly as possible. The Xbox version was the easiest to complete, therefor it was pushed for the holiday season. The PC version requires testing on different video cards and such. The international version requires translation into several different languages.

Since I have exactly the same number of Xboxes as I have pink ponies living in my left shirt pocket, I have had zero reason to peruse the tech forum at this point.

If there are issues, other than the frame rate during battles issue I stumbled across, I wouldn't have a clue. As for the frame rate issue...ahhh...never mind, wrong thread for that...

Its unfortunatly common, QA is usually handled by the publisher and today many publishers are sloppy ... expecialy traditional PC developers now working with console titles.

Not that we dont see bugs and issues on tradictional console developers titles but they are more used to the testing circle and the fact they cannot patch the game, they tend to iron out everything they could.

As for engine problems ... well I blame trying to make something run on hardware that cannot handle it, take GTA:SA that have frame rate issues because its simply too big a game world and they eliminated loading areas, it serious hit the performance.

Also there is the fact the SW:KotOR hybrid engine was not much optimized from the start (Xbox players complained about frame rate) and OE was given that engine to work with, add the small development (1 year and half iis not much time) and the result is not pretty.

drakron.png

I have formulated a new conspiracy theory.

The Xbox version was intentionally released early with bugs. So many bugs that many people would get fed up and throw the game in the corner. But, it IS the holiday season in the USA, and that means people will pay hundreds of dollars for flippin' Chia pets, why not an alledgedly buggy Xbox game?

So, along comes February and the PC version is released. For a month, industry rags give it rave reviews. Talk about how none of the Xbox bugs are present in the PC version, and in fact, they did add special PC-only content. Miffed Xboxers, albeit not all of them, but a fair number, decide that they want to give KOTOR II another go...this time on PC. PC version sales skyrocket from the influx of previous Xbox buyers and the game far outsells any estimation made at LA.

So, did OE intentionally make KOTOR II buggy on Xbox at LA behest in order to make more money? Grassy knoll.....buggy Xbox......CIA....... 'Well, why the delay for the EU release?' you ask? Easy....we've pissed of the Europeans enough recently...no need to add any fuel to that fire.

These are the ramblings of a 12 year old girl who actually has no interest in video games....but what a line of reasoning, don't you think?

Maybe they have a sloppy QA department.  I mean, it's not like you have to know how to make good games - you just have to play them and report problems.  Certain bugs were constantly an issue when I played, so wasn't this noted?

My guess is they didn't even bother with extensive Q&A so that the game could be released in time for Christmas. The more bugs I see reported, the more it seems to indicate that Lucasarts pushed the release date to something that realistically it shouldn't have been.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)