Reason for console version appearing before PC

There is a practical reason that PC versions are released later. PCs are more complicated. Xboxes are standard. You buy an xbox, and any xbox game plays on it, unless you've screwed it up while trying to mod or something like that. Bu Not every game plays on every PC. Different video cards, sounds cards, RAM, brands and everything mean that more time testing must be spent to ensure that the game works on the system it claims too. Also stupid programs people put on their PCs might interfere with the game running properly.

There's a just a whole lot more that can go wrong in a PC, because no two are exactly the same, while Xboxes are pretty much all identical.

In general, more time must be spent on the PC version to ensure stability.

And if anyone brings up Battlefront (which came out on PS2, Xbox, and PC on the same day), then that's my point in itself. Just play the PC version and it's obvious they needed to spend more time on it. Though that's a problem with the game in general, not just the PC version I guess.

thats what I think also, the pc is more complicated than the xbox they have to tune it to work of the pc

Well i can tell you ripping xbox games are very easy when you upgrade your xbox with a 180gig hd....

some guys at my dorm have one and there favorite quote is:

"rent it, rip it, return it"

plus they have dvd burner with software that is VERY easy to pirate xbox games. so i believe that lucasarts might of polled the market and looked at how kotor one sold on xbox and when the sales were most so naturally they would release it around christmas for Xbox.

There is a practical reason that PC versions are released later. PCs are more complicated. Xboxes are standard. You buy an xbox, and any xbox game plays on it, unless you've screwed it up while trying to mod or something like that. Bu Not every game plays on every PC. Different video cards, sounds cards, RAM, brands and everything mean that more time testing must be spent to ensure that the game works on the system it claims too. Also stupid programs people put on their PCs might interfere with the game running properly.

There's a just a whole lot more that can go wrong in a PC, because no two are exactly the same, while Xboxes are pretty much all identical.

In general, more time must be spent on the PC version to ensure stability.

And if anyone brings up Battlefront (which came out on PS2, Xbox, and PC on the same day), then that's my point in itself. Just play the PC version and it's obvious they needed to spend more time on it. Though that's a problem with the game in general, not just the PC version I guess.

...thank the Gods this Topic has at least one voice of reason... ;)

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

And here I was, living under the impression that DirectX was there as the ultimate interface between game developers and hardware manufacturers..

Why, Bill, why do you deceive me so?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

They selled kotor 1 mostly on X-Box I have heart. So they are going to release PC later.

Another cause is that Microsoft want his console bought.

That s true-for the US. In europe it was different! Statistically US citizens play more games on a console (they often have more than one), and use their pc for internet browsing and dvd video mostly (applications which require less powerful hardware).

CAN/Australia spread of pc/consoles is different as well.

Hmmm, I thought battlefront was just crap to begin with, and that it barely ran on the console versions, and none of them actually had the AI soldiers doing very much. I actually like the vhs/dvd analogy, because consoles are far less sophisticated and the pc surpassed them by the second generation. They're sorta like the little monkey in the suit trying to be an astronaut.....

Anyone read this KOTOR PC preview from the PC Gamer magazine website;

http://www.pcgamer.com/eyeonline/eyeonline_2004-10-18.html

There's an interesting bit at the bottom :( (even if it is dated a couple a months ago :ermm: )

Blue lorry yellow lorry blue lorry yellow lorry blorry. D'oh.

There's an interesting bit at the bottom ;)

"some exclusive PC content that will not be initially available in the Xbox version"... that's what I like to read :D

If the pc version is to be more polished, patched and have new content.. and if they would put some other extras in the box aswell.. anything.. could be a galaxy map, wallpapers, posters, figurines, a detailed game guide or a developper's journal (containing censored ideas of quest and dialogues they had in mind) or better: the dev's constructionset to help us modding the game... Kotor 2 PC later relase would definately be forgiven :huh: .

Anyways there are just too much game releases for chrismas (chrismas is way overrated as a release date) and very often it is in spring and summer that I miss good pc games the most :cool:.

There's an interesting bit at the bottom ;)

"some exclusive PC content that will not be initially available in the Xbox version"... that's what I like to read :D

If the pc version is to be more polished, patched and have new content.. and if they would put some other extras in the box aswell.. anything.. could be a galaxy map, wallpapers, posters, figurines, a detailed game guide or a developper's journal (containing censored ideas of quest and dialogues they had in mind) or better: the dev's constructionset to help us modding the game... Kotor 2 PC later relase would definately be forgiven :huh: .

Anyways there are just too much game releases for chrismas (chrismas is way overrated as a release date) and very often it is in spring and summer that I miss good pc games the most :cool:.

Could just be a misinformed statement, but I thought it was worth putting on here, and its unusual (in my experience) for PC Gamer to print something unless they're fairly sure its true. At the end of the day I don't care that much about extra content, so long as I feel I've gotten value for my

I guess I can wait a bit more.

Just got Need for Speed Undergound 2 and next week I'll get NBA live 2005. :)

Who am I kidding?? :p

I WANT KOTOR TSL RIGHT NOW!!!!!!! ;)>_<>_<

And by the light of the moon

He prays for their beauty not doom

Well I checked a couple of sites today and the Xbox version will *not* be released until 11 Feb 2005

So the PC guys aren't having to wait any longer than Xbox gamers...

Annoying though.  I wanted to play it now!  :(

Only if you live outside the US- its the US Xbox version only which came out on the 6th

Well I checked a couple of sites today and the Xbox version will *not* be released until 11 Feb 2005

So the PC guys aren't having to wait any longer than Xbox gamers...

Annoying though.  I wanted to play it now!  :thumbsup:

Only if you live outside the US- its the US Xbox version only which came out on the 6th

It's that word "only" that is the problem

6,200 million people live outside of the US...!!!

And only 300 million people live in the US

I'm not asking for preferential treatment. The least they could do is make sure that the whole world gets the game at the same time... :(

It's annoying logging onto the forum and seeing people discussing the game, knowing that I've still got 2 months to wait until I can get it on my Xbox

I am symple Russian guy, my favorite shoes is valenoks, my favorite cap is cap with earlaps, and i want play KOTOR2 very mach on Personal Komputer :rolleyes:;) да будет процветать мой счёт в швецарском банке. Пршу прощения за мой ужасный английский :D

Привет Darth Taros, как дела, приятно увидеть знакомого человека среди всех этих забавных эээ...незнакомцев. Я очень рад, что забрёл на зтот сайт, можно узнать много интересного. Ну давай, до встречи на theforce'e РУ

I am symple Russian guy, my favorite shoes is valenoks, my favorite cap is cap with earlaps, and i want play KOTOR2 very mach on Personal Komputer  :shifty:  >_< да будет процветать мой счёт в швецарском банке. Пршу прощения за мой ужасный английский :D

Я тоже рад встретить знакомый язык

Но если ты не Михаил то какой ник ты носишь на theforce.ru?

кстати кучу ошибок наделал -не symple а simple

There is another possible reason: XBoxers are mostly younger than PC'ers and more likely to be in college, from whence they will have to depart homewards for Christmas break (while XBoxers in HS have their gaming equipment at home anyway). If LA/OE had released the PC version Dec. 6, it would have wrecked a lot of finals and not been accessible for quite a while after getting it for Christmas for many of us. Not to mention that College kids' parents don't get them presents that will distract from their kids' studies. Which is to say they rushed the XBox version to get it out before Christmas but didn't see any reason to for the PC version.

For what it's worth though, hardware compatibility testing is the most likely issue.

I am amazed that it took ya'll a 1 1/2 pages to mention this. A lot of people, myself included, had bigger bugs (and seemingly non CRPG-related) with K1 than any other games, while a lot of people had absolutely none. It would have been obvious to the devs at OE that very varied hardware-specific testing was needed for K2 PC.

Not to mention that College kids' parents don't get them presents that will distract from their kids' studies.  Which is to say they rushed the XBox version to get it out before Christmas but didn't see any reason to for the PC version.

That is why you ask for money at that stage, to buy it yourself. If they know you want it and aren't getting it to you for christmas, they know they're treading on thin ground anyway. Least mine would.

The thing with the losing money through people studying idea, is that it (and I don't mean to be rude) has holes... lots of kids have PCs (my brother is sat behind me right now, playing the PC version of KOTOR I). Also, they brought out the PC version of the first game at Xmas- so why use different logic this time round, considering it sold so well? I bought it on 5th December last year (day of UK release), despite having a ton of courseworlk to do... I had to get an extension :"> . But despite that mistake, and being at Uni now (thus having exams in January to revise for) I would still buy it if it were to come out before Xmas. Lastly, by releasing it in February, they might well be losing out thru ppl being at school/ uni, and having work to do for a couple of days time, as opposed to being on holiday. Plz don't flame me if that didn't make any sense economically- I've never really studied it, so if anyone wants to correct me, do it nicely plz :thumbsup: (unlike on the LA forums, where they crucify you for even thinking sumthing that is against what they think)