Reason for console version appearing before PC

So, I'm thinking the reason for the Xbox-version appearing on the market before the PC is that Obsidian (and/or Lucasarts) are afraid of piracy.

Let's face it - as soon as the PC version appears on the market, it will also appear among the pirates, regardless of whatever copy protections they use (look at HL2).

So, by releasing the console version some time before the PC, Lucasarts hopes that the people who own both an Xbox and a PC will buy the Xbox-version instead of waiting for the pirated PC-version.

OR

They are trying to implement some new and improved copy protection system, and are working to eradicate the bugs from that.

At least that is my guess - I have come to believe that most of the times when a game has irregularities with the release date it has something to do with copy protections...

Oh well. February is only a few months away....

John Morgan already said in the developer forum that the reason it was released was that the quality of both versions wouldn't be up to par if they released both in December, so they chose to focus on the Xbox version for a december release since the Xbox version sold like 3 times as many copies as the PC version of KotOR.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Xbox piracy also exists...

you can download xbox games from the internet and then burn them on a dvd.

So Xbox priracy is no where as big as a problem as priracy on PC games (it's alot easier to pirate PC games than it is with Xbox).

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

They are probably trying to make money...

think about it, people would prefer the pc verison over the xbox. if the pc version didn't come out first and some people really want to play the game, they would buy the xbox. then, there are those people who after playing the xbox will want to buy the pc. through this process, they will make more money.

My guess is that they are trying to make money...

think about it, people would prefer the pc verison over the xbox. if the pc version didn't come out first and some people really want to play the game, they would buy the xbox. then, there are those people who after playing the xbox will want to buy the pc. through this process, they will make more money.

I'm not quite sure how this works, somebody correct me if I get it wrong. Micro$oft doesn't make any money on the hardware they sell, but they do get a royalty from each title sold, that runs on their hardware ?

Makes sort of sense using all means at your disposal then to force (no pun intended) the issue and rush the x-box release date to get in on the x-mas madness ?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

John Morgan already said in the developer forum that the reason it was released was that the quality of both versions wouldn't be up to par if they released both in December, so they chose to focus on the Xbox version for a december release since the Xbox version sold like 3 times as many copies as the PC version of KotOR.

I'd just like to point out that, although perhaps the XBox version would still sell better regardless, that it's a skewed statistic to suggest that the sales volumes of KOTOR are a good indication of which game sold better.

Let's not forget that the XBox version was out sooner, thus those people who own both XBox and PC would have already bought a copy, meaning less potential PC sales when it was finally released.

Think about it. Would it really be fair to compare DVD sales of the Star Wars trilogy with that of VHS sales? Of course not, since the VHS version had a huge headstart. However, if both were hypothetically released at the exact same time, I'd say it's a fair estimate that the VHS to DVD sales would be a LOT closer, and even in fact, in favor of the DVD.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I'd just like to point out that, although perhaps the XBox version would still sell better regardless, that it's a skewed statistic to suggest that the sales volumes of KOTOR are a good indication of which game sold better.

Let's not forget that the XBox version was out sooner, thus those people who own both XBox and PC would have already bought a copy, meaning less potential PC sales when it was finally released.

Think about it. Would it really be fair to compare DVD sales of the Star Wars trilogy with that of VHS sales? Of course not, since the VHS version had a huge headstart. However, if both were hypothetically released at the exact same time, I'd say it's a fair estimate that the VHS to DVD sales would be a LOT closer, and even in fact, in favor of the DVD.

Exactly.

I think that the OT in DVD has sold many copies since release in September. Maybe the best selling DVD ever....does anyone know the actual numbers of the all time top selling dvds??

And by the light of the moon

He prays for their beauty not doom

I know you probably don't care about the opinion of a guy that got here just yesterday but I believe that the analogy of a VHS to a DVD with respect to a pc game and an xbox game is also not the best. A DVD is better technology than a VHS but an xbox and a pc have comparable technology. They both are capable of the same operations. I mean an xbox that has been moded properly can equal that of a good computer. I am not saying which is better cause it doesn't matter. I believe that it was in obsidians best interest to make one version fisrt and then another, they just chose the xbox first this time.

I know you probably don't care about the opinion of a guy that got here just yesterday but I believe that the analogy of a VHS to a DVD with respect to a pc game and an xbox game is also not the best. A DVD is better technology than a VHS but an xbox and a pc have comparable technology. They both are capable of the same operations. I mean an xbox that has been moded properly can equal that of a good computer. I am not saying which is better cause it doesn't matter. I believe that it was in obsidians best interest to make one version fisrt and then another, they just chose the xbox first this time.

That wasn't my point about the analogy. It was more about comparing when each was released in relation to one another. I wasn't saying the PC version is higher quality, like the DVD version of the trilogy is. I was merely pointing out that both the PC KOTOR and DVD OT came out later than the XBox KOTOR and the VHS OT, respectively. Thus it's very inaccurate to compare sales figures and point to that as concrete proof that one would sell better than the other.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

It's a pity they never used the Live feature for patches, for whatever reason. I read something about some sort of coding that KOTOR would need. Didn't the first KOTOR allow downloadable content?

Oh well. I don't even know what version to get once it hits Europe, I'll just try it on both and see which one suits me the best, I guess.

Xbox piracy also exists...

you can download xbox games from the internet and then burn them on a dvd.

So Xbox priracy is no where as big as a problem as priracy on PC games (it's alot easier to pirate PC games than it is with Xbox).

What stuff are you smoking, its easier to rip X-Box games than PC games with all the new piracy software...

And just imagine... if Bungie said no to Microsoft when they were approached about Halo... history would have taken a very different path.

ie - the Xcube would have died straight away.

Yes, that is exactly what would have happend. And someone obviously slipped that info to li'l ol' Gatesey and poof the xbox was popular and selling like hell. Didn't beat PS2 sales anyway, not by a veeeeeeeery long shot! >_<

There is a practical reason that PC versions are released later. PCs are more complicated. Xboxes are standard. You buy an xbox, and any xbox game plays on it, unless you've screwed it up while trying to mod or something like that. Bu Not every game plays on every PC. Different video cards, sounds cards, RAM, brands and everything mean that more time testing must be spent to ensure that the game works on the system it claims too. Also stupid programs people put on their PCs might interfere with the game running properly.

There's a just a whole lot more that can go wrong in a PC, because no two are exactly the same, while Xboxes are pretty much all identical.

In general, more time must be spent on the PC version to ensure stability.

And if anyone brings up Battlefront (which came out on PS2, Xbox, and PC on the same day), then that's my point in itself. Just play the PC version and it's obvious they needed to spend more time on it. Though that's a problem with the game in general, not just the PC version I guess.