PC version more "polished"?

I am taking sides, but my KOTOR (I have it for PC only) game still experiences weird freezes and crashes even after all those patches I got. This is what that guy means, PCs tend to have problems like these sometimes.

Still, I have had my consoles just freezing whole suddenly, but that's rare. But it happens.

Several games that are released for the "aged" consoles these days press them to their limits. If you experience a crash many reasons could be possible.

Possibly a driver issue, hardware limits; hardware combinations/driver communication difficulties; insufficient cooling of: graphics card, prozessor, mainboard northbridge(!)*, ram(different types may cause read errors etc.); hdd (though rarely an issue, it may depend on the individual product); problems with the OS (using service packs can help-especially for win2k).

*I experienced crashes some day. I found out that the cooler of the northbridge was defect. I removed the old one and installed a new passive cooled one..> no chrashes anymore =)

I am taking sides, but my KOTOR (I have it for PC only) game still experiences weird freezes and crashes even after all those patches I got. This is what that guy means, PCs tend to have problems like these sometimes.

I have only ever had 2 crashes in the original game and that was completely unpatched, in fact, to date I have never bothered patching KotoR.

Personally, sometimes it can be hardware or other incompatibilities, but I've begun to realise that blambing the PC is just a cop out for the real problem. That problem usually exists between the chair and the keyboard in more cases than people are willing to admit.

Boss: You're fired.

Me: Ummm will you let me have my job if I dance for you?

Boss: No, I don't think so-

Me: JUST LET ME DANCE

*Dances*

Voodo graphic cards were released much later than the 386s

So? You still can have a 386 with a voodoo card, right?

Well, that depends. My 386 system (an AMD 40 MHz Am386DX that was faster than any Intel 80386) only had ISA slots on the motherboard. I'm not sure if any 386 motherboards were ever made with PCI (or even VLB) slots. I also highly doubt that there were ever any Voodoo cards made for ISA bus (although I could be wrong), since the ISA bus was too slow to really make it worth it, and it was obsolete before 3D accelerated graphics were used in games.

- Kasoroth

Same thing here. 386 didn't have slots for the Voodoo 1 (most namingly, PCI slots).

Not to mention the API issues you might get with a card and drivers that old....

--Garfield

they should give us PC'ers some stuff that wasnt in the X-box version as a "were sorry" for the long wait. hehe.

Another Yavin store with cool items perhaps? :thumbsup:

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

the poor international X-boxers wont get anything.

Exactly! :p

I am half-tempted to start using my PC again for playing games, but it's just so much hassle keeping the technology up to date and working hard to get the right drivers and patch a game to make it work. That's why I stopped, the expense and the time

But having the extra features/tools that PC games sometimes carry is tempting... :cool:

I didn't read through the whole thread but I think the PC version will be more polished. Polished including getting real sith npcs instead of the old placeholder type "townspeople" type npcs from Kotor I.

It REALLY messed up the feeling when the "Sith Lords" mouths' didn't move and they were wearing cilvilian clothes. :D

more polished i doubt it, both games should be essentially the same in respect. as for extra content i fully expect it, the only reeson xbox wont get it is cos tsl wont be live compatable

well pc kotor1 was a bit smoother but just as buggy and didn't look as pretty as the xbox version. with the lightsaber most noticably the beutiful glare and bloom of it. in the pc version they looked like X's

more polished i doubt it, both games should be essentially the same in respect. as for extra content i fully expect it, the only reeson xbox wont get it is cos tsl wont be live compatable

well pc kotor1 was a bit smoother but just as buggy and didn't look as pretty as the xbox version. with the lightsaber most noticably the beutiful glare and bloom of it. in the pc version they looked like X's

Sounds almost (from your description) as if you made the same mistake as I did on my first run throug the game. Once I discovered that little toggle button under advanced video settings it became a very different visual experience. It made the x-box version look somewhat outdated by comparison.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Sounds almost (from your description) as if you made the same mistake as I did on my first run throug the game. Once I discovered that little toggle button under advanced video settings it became a very different visual experience. It made the x-box version look somewhat outdated by comparison.

Exactly! Once you turn on the whole "effect mumbo jumbo" (high quality textures,shader, AA, AF, soft shadows) you

With some of the reviews commenting on the bugs in the XBox version, do you think that once our PC version is released in 2 months time, we'll get a more polished version?  Or are these kinds of bugs inherent with this engine that KOTOR uses?

What about items?  Do you think newer items will be included, or is it too much to ask and too late in the development process for some small "extras" to pacify us?

You'll get better graphics but you still have most of the bugs if not more but they'll be fixed in a patch soon enough. Nothing extra, Chris has already said by the end of development the two versions will be the same. Also there is like 5 people finishibg the PC version.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

The PC version will most likely be buggier at reelase simply because of the various combinations that need to be tested and likely will be missed. But, at least it'll get patches (we hope) so even it out a bit.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

The PC version will most likely be buggier at reelase simply because of the various combinations that need to be tested and likely will be missed.

If that's the case then I'm really worried about the PC version, considering how many people seem to be having issues with the XBox version and the type of game stopping issues they are.

But, at least it'll get patches (we hope) so even it out a bit.

That's my only consolation, knowing that if there are major issues atleast there's a possibility of a fix.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Voodo graphic cards were released much later than the 386s

So? You still can have a 386 with a voodoo card, right?

no because of the motherboard the 386's and 486 only had ISA slots on them no PCI slots the voodoo cards were ment for the p one chipset.

besides you would have to have an expansion card to hold the other 8 megs of ram.

With some of the reviews commenting on the bugs in the XBox version, do you think that once our PC version is released in 2 months time, we'll get a more polished version?  Or are these kinds of bugs inherent with this engine that KOTOR uses?

What about items?  Do you think newer items will be included, or is it too much to ask and too late in the development process for some small "extras" to pacify us?

You'll get better graphics but you still have most of the bugs if not more but they'll be fixed in a patch soon enough. Nothing extra, Chris has already said by the end of development the two versions will be the same. Also there is like 5 people finishibg the PC version.

I think they said it will be amost the same, whatever that means..... :(

They said that along time ago so i wouldn't get my hopes up if i was you.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf