Speculations on The Force

So I thought I would leave this board with a last post to round things up for me! :thumbsup:

Now The Force has been a big discussion issue for all SW fans I would think ..

What is it exactly? What is the nature of it? Is it "intelligent"? is it indeed "alive?

I always reckoned that it was a kind of God, or at least with the same capabilities as one .. Although perhaps not a sentient entity, still able to alter destiny and affect beings within it's sphere of influence!

Some are force sensitive, they can hear the *will* of the force ..

know this made me think .. does the Force choose who is Force Sensitive (and does it guide their actions through suggestion?) or is affinity with it a matter of biology and chance.. has the Force forseen the future, written it, altered it to fit it's will? .. is it even benevolent?

If the force guides and shapes the events of history .. then it is responsible for the rise of the Sith (or any other evil power), for death of all those who dies in the wake of such a destiny .. Does the Force strive to evovle the races of the universe by such means, or simply toy with them, for it's own amusement?

perhaps this is only answered if the nature of the Force is realized .. So what do you think it is? is it alive and sentient? and what do you think it wants?

looking forward to hearing your thoughts..

- Rosbjerg

Fortune favors the bald.

no I think the Force is more than life .. life itself does not speak to us or give us foresight .. The force binds life together, and upholds it I think .. much like our God(s) do! (from a theological point of view)

Fortune favors the bald.

You have some primal instcts, don't you? And you have consciousness, don't you? And sometimes you feel like you can forsee some things like you have a sixth sense, right? Is that life? And does the Force speak or is it the balance of the lightside and the darkside that when changed seeks to rebalance?(a rule of nature, everything in equal quantity)

There is hope beyond hope

I think I read somewhere that to the Jedi, the force is like a river: they can swim in it, use its water or even try to cross it. But they don't know where it is coming from or where it is going to. It simply is.

On the other hand, some say the force is like duct tape: it has a light and a dark side and it binds the universe together...

You have some primal instcts, don't you? And you have consciousness, don't you? And sometimes you feel like you can forsee some things like you have a sixth sense, right? Is that life? And does the Force speak or is it the balance of the lightside and the darkside that when changed seeks to rebalance?(a rule of nature, everything in equal quantity)

humans can sense small fluctuations in air pressure .. it gives us a warning if things are coming at us, or if air pressure drops then a bad storm probalby coming and we need to seek shelter .. that's the feeling of "something bad is gonna happen" at least that's what some scientist think! so that's not "life" giving us warnings, it's evolution that has given us tools to stay alive ..

and the good side, bad side is also a big question .. because it has also been speculated that the Force itself is neither .. and it's how you use it .. DS powers are more powerful from a control and strenght point of view .. and power corrupts, this could be why it's dangerous to use those elements of the force .. because intelligent beings are fundamentally flawed and seek power, only to end up corrupted by their own desires!?

it's the Acton "Power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely", to give Jedis some human weaknesses .. imo

Fortune favors the bald.

Nope. Intelligent creatures seek to improve, evolve. This is the reason you and i exist. If we were perfect, we would not need to improve, so we would have no reason to exist, but because we would be perfect, we would not be able to die. That is a torment. And force is an entity. DS and LS are the moral gods of star wars, the knoledge of good and evil.

Nope. Intelligent creatures seek to improve, evolve. This is the reason you and i exist. If we were perfect, we would not need to improve, so we would have no reason to exist, but because we would be perfect, we would not be able to die. That is a torment. And force is an entity. DS and LS are the moral gods of star wars, the knoledge of good and evil.

look at the world today .. it's very clear that intelligent beings has some pretty obscure concepts of the words "evolution and improvement" .. We are slowly killing ourselves by killing our world .. of course you could say that the human race isn't particular intelligent, and true intelligent beings would seek those virtues, then I would agree .. But the beings of SW have the same flaws as Humans of Earth .. so they must be receptive to corruption of power as well .. which they are, they fall to "the dark side" and seek to subjegate and control their enviroment .. not evolve and improve it ..

Fortune favors the bald.

well as a race we have stopped evolving .. at least if you believe in Darwin .. the only evolution happening today is knowledge, is that what you meant?

and if we live to evolve from a biological point of view, then our lot in life is in danger ..

Fortune favors the bald.

Our brain is differnet from Darwin's brain. And the thing evolution better be told to people who are exposed to radiation. And while Darwin is like Newton in biology, Newton is proved to be (totally) wrong. And we have not been living for so long to say our evolution has stopped. Only a million years, a nothing compared to other species.

I think the Force is nothing more than GL's version of 'chi' or 'ki'. It's a life force\energy that feeds into all beings and yadda yadda yadda.

also, in fiction it always allows the user to do very cool things, i.e. street fighter, dragonball series, sw universe all use essentially the same type of energy but in diff ways.

Our brain is differnet from Darwin's brain. And the thing evolution better be told to people who are exposed to radiation. And while Darwin is like Newton in biology, Newton is proved to be (totally) wrong. And we have not been living for so long to say our evolution has stopped. Only a million years, a nothing compared to other species.

well come to think of it .. Darwin says that evolution happens through mutation .. and we are still mutating as badly as ever, although today nobody get's killed for having a slightly bad mutation (heart disease etc.) in this regard the human race is degeneration .. because we allow the weaker elements of evolution to survive and pollute our genepool (hell if we should follow nature I should be killed right now, I'm practically blind) ..

But what you said made me think .. since everyone is allowed to live, even the extremely wierd mutations, which could be physically weak, but mentally strong, are allowed to live .. although they won't be dominant, small individual mutations will be more evident from today, because of modern technology (and the ability to keep weak humans alive)! so in a sense evolution has gone from the improvement of a race, to the improvement of individuals (although the flip side is a weaker race on the whole)!

Fortune favors the bald.

Let just say that some individualls are mostly resistant to cancer. Are they not going to multiply since they won't die so easily? Tha would mean that after a lot of time, human race whould be ''overrun'' by them, and we would be both evolved and improved

Let just say that some individualls are mostly resistant to cancer. Are they not going to multiply  since they won't die so easily? Tha would mean that after a lot of time, human race whould be ''overrun'' by them, and we would be both evolved and improved

in time they will find a cure for any disease .. so that argument doesn't hold! because cancer won't be the sole cause of death for our race for thousands of years .. and alot of those who die of cancer are old enough to have gotten kids!

Fortune favors the bald.

Not for any disease.

no? how can you be so sure about that? every true disease has it's own weaknesses and it's only a matter of finding it.. only cancer is a little strange .. since it isn't really a disease as much as a freak mutation ..

There will always be a new disease. After they beat one, another will come. But i think that we will be capable of finding cure for every disease that is thrown our way. But we will not be able to terminate diseases altogether. We will just be able to aounteract evry new one. Although some would argue that it's the same thing...

P.S. about what the force is: Well it's obvious that GL borrowed elements from various religions and/or legends. It's very hard to think of something totally new without any other influence at all.

Edited by Ameorn

Not for any disease.

no? how can you be so sure about that? every true disease has it's own weaknesses and it's only a matter of finding it.. only cancer is a little strange .. since it isn't really a disease as much as a freak mutation ..

There will always be a new disease. After they beat one, another will come. But i think that we will be capable of finding cure for every disease that is thrown our way. But we will not be able to terminate diseases altogether. We will just be able to aounteract evry new one. Although some would argue that it's the same thing...

P.S. about what the force is: Well it's obvious that GL borrowed elements from various religions and/or legends. It's very hard to think of something totally new without any other influence at all.

Didnt pay attention in biology did we? :p

It is possible to destory chains of disease through various different ways.

Cancer is exactly that... a cell with an altered chromosome , erasing the gene which tell's body cell's to discontinue mitosis.

This inturn means that it will keep multiplying and growing forever, until the host is dead...

Didnt pay attention in biology did we? :)

It is possible to destory chains of disease through various different ways.

Cancer is exactly that... a cell with an altered chromosome , erasing the gene which tell's body cell's to discontinue mitosis.

This inturn means that it will keep multiplying and growing forever, until the host is dead...

who was that a remark to? me? I stated that cancer isn't a normal disease .. like a virus or bacteria .. since it does exactly what you said!

and payed plenty attention in biology! :)

Fortune favors the bald.