Does KOTOR 3 need to use the Source Engine?

KOTOR 2 once has the boring facial animations were all they do is tilt their heads. Should kotor 3 use source? It would cut down on alot of time of making a new engine altogether.

It depends.

If the Source engine is the cause for Bloodlines' issues, then definitely no. But if that's just Troika's fault, then maybe. Although to be honest, I didn't find that the animations added that much to the gaming experience compared to KOTOR (if at all).

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I hope they use the engine Bioware will be using for Dragon Age. The graphics seem very good, and perfect for an RPG. Source wouldn't fit i think.

Still, you gotta admit, KoTOR: Source would farking r0x0r your b0x0rs.

No, actually i would be dissapointed if they used source engine. That is great for FPS, but in RPGs i'm looking for something else.

That's why bioware's new engine will be perfect, if not then make a new one from scratch!

No, actually i would be dissapointed if they used source engine. That is great for FPS, but in RPGs i'm looking for something else.

That's why bioware's new engine will be perfect, if not then make a new one from scratch!

Smeg off! Source engine is suitable for pretty much any type of game. Well, at least for RPGs and FPSs. I guess, though, you have the completely unfounded misconception that an FPS engine cannot be modified to suit a non-first person RPG?

I know that you can do that, i just don't like the source engine so much. Yeah, HL2 is great and it looks awsome and bla, bla.... I would prefer a different type of engine. I don't think that source engine would be a good choice. You do, i don't end of discussion.

source engine would be a complete waste of time and resources. The physics take up a huge amount of resources and it would be a waste for KOTOR. Also the whole FPS issue. With all the time wasted modifying source to become remotely suitible, you could use the dev time for your own engine specced around the game.

KOTOR 2 once has the boring facial animations were all they do is tilt their heads. Should kotor 3 use source? It would cut down on alot of time of making a new engine altogether.

It depends.

If the Source engine is the cause for Bloodlines' issues, then definitely no. But if that's just Troika's fault, then maybe. Although to be honest, I didn't find that the animations added that much to the gaming experience compared to KOTOR (if at all).

I assure you, HL2 implements a much more complex use of the Source engine, and it runs smoothly and without crashing even in rather crowded areas. My system is far from state-of-the-art and I was able to beat HL2 in the medium-high graphic settings. VtmB's issues are just due to a lousy QA job on Activision's part, and poor design on Troika's.

source engine would be a complete waste of time and resources. The physics take up a huge amount of resources and it would be a waste for KOTOR. Also the whole FPS issue. With all the time wasted modifying source to become remotely suitible, you could use the dev time for your own engine specced around the game.

I agree that the physics of the engine aren't needed in a RPG, but that can probably be suppressed. Surely you are not suggesting that it would take more time and effort to modify an existing engine than build a new one from scratch.

Lately, when companies develop their own uber engines for new games, they tend to place less emphasis in other aspects of the game, namely the fun aspect. I'd rather that didn't happen to KotOR.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Who said anything about making KotOR 3?  :thumbsup:

KOTOR 3: The Quest for More Money.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

"Source engine is suitable for pretty much any type of game."

I can live with it as long as the combat/control part of the engine is COMPLETELY changed. Graphics and such are very good; otherwise meh.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

It would work good with the Source Engine. At least I thought it really brought the characters and the environments in Bloodlines to life.

They would just have to do away with the retarded, pseudo-real-time combat garbage that's in the first two. And that friends, would be a good thing.

Oh yeah, the Source engine is currently seeing more usage as an RPG engine than it is a shooter engine now, what with Troika and Arkane licensing it out. So comments that it's not fit for RPGs don't really seem valid.

I'd vote for a new engine. The KOTOR engine will have had it's day with Sith Lords. Source engine is OK (if they can iron out the bugs) but by the time they get around to KOTOR 3 it'll probably be obsolete anyway. Also with Source you can only control one character, which is fine for Bloodlines, but would suck for a more traditional rpg like KOTOR.

(Bring back Infinity Engine :-)

If KOTOR 2 is good, then I'll want KOTOR 3 really fast. So keep the same engine guys just modify/upgrade it a bit.

The current one is fine. If it ain't broken don't fix it.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester