Designer Ramblings: New Cast of Companions

• 2 weeks later...
yeah i agree...you shouldn't just recycle the same characters over and over....BUT some more closure would be nice....more explainations.

More closure? More explanations? What more do you want? You get told explicitly what happens to every character and to every planet that you visited.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Not in very much detail, and the dramatic climax is almost non-existant compared to the first game. You don't get to linger on anything at the end, and you don't get to finish anything... personally... with any of the characters, like you did in the first game. I wouldn't have minded that, actually. The ending of this game was far more interesting... but it had less emotional impact, with regards to the NPC's in your party. Except for Kreia, the ending totally destroyed any possibility of you feeling like the NPC's were real people. There were amazingly interesting as characters, which is why I liked the game - but it felt lacking to me in that the character's weren't as interactive as they were in the first game. More dynamic to the story and your character's choices, certainly, but not as interactive.

I really like Bastila and consider her most interesting female character of the entire Star Wars. I'd really like to see her in TSL, but I don't want to see her in TSL if devs cannot show her properly.

She's a creation of Drew Kaspyshyn and I think that she belongs to him. Only he can develop further that character in a proper way. I don't want to see another Mara Jade (if you remember Mara was Timothy Zahn's creation and later countless writers devoured her image - and now she sucks). Bastila was trashed in

KOTOR already when David Gaider made her ending instead of Karpyshyn - and we witnessed idiotic and unconvincing DS fall that contradicted her concept, only becouse Gaider is a sexist, and wanted to prove that women are weak and unstable.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

Yes it seems that our expectations from Atris for the new game have fallen too short.

Although I firmly believe that Bastila was massively underdeveloped in the first game, (regardless of that I liked her very much).

And by the light of the moon

He prays for their beauty not doom

Bastila was trashed in KOTOR already when David Gaider made her ending instead of Karpyshyn - and we witnessed idiotic and unconvincing DS fall that contradicted her concept, only becouse Gaider is a sexist, and wanted to prove that women are weak and unstable.

Where did you hear this? Not saying it isn't true, I just didn't think more than one writer wrote the storyline. (Karpyshyn)

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Well I read a thread on Bioware Forums a long time ago, where Karpyshyn and Gaider were both posting, and Gaider said that he's responsible for Bastila's ending while whole character was invented by Karpyshyn who also wrote bulk of her life story and dialogs. Karpyshyn confirmed.

I'll give a link to the thread if I manage to recall how that thread was titled.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

SOCRATES:

Well I read a discussion on Bioware Forums months ago, where Karpyshyn and Gaider were both posting, and Gaider said that he's responsible for Bastila's ending

while whole character was invented by Karpyshyn who also wrote bulk of her life story and dialogs. Kaspyshyn confirmed.

Yeah, but without specific details about what each wrote, Gaider saying he wrote her "ending" could mean the dialogue and whatnot aboard the Star Forge. It doesn't necessarily mean he wrote the stuff on the Unknown World or the Leviathan where she actually fell to the DS. He could have just been responsible for the last couple of dialogue where she confronts Revan aboard the Star Forge.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

No,no the entire post made it clear that Gaider led Bastila's development since Leviathan.

HERMOCRATES:

SOCRATES:

I'm still not sure why you're so against her fall to the DS. IMO, that was actually one of the more interesting parts of the game. She had the character profile of someone who would fall. Plus I don't think it was "sexist", considering they made a complete weenie out of Carth, so obviously they weren't just picking on the female characters. :D

It was sexist becouse it shown that female Jedi, even very brilliant one, is pathetic

and weak. And Carth on the other hand stood clear and devoted to the Republic all the time, I don't see anything wrong in him.

HERMOCRATES:

SOCRATES:

I think the reason they chose Bastila to fall is because of the strong romance towards a male PC (figuring the majority of gamers are male, and would choose a male PC). I'm sure that if they (the big wigs making marketing decisions) felt that the majority of consumers were female gamers, you'd likely have seen the leading male romance character fall to the DS instead. It had nothing to do with sexism and everything to do with Bastila being the prominent love interest and thus making it a more "pronounced" fall since someone your PC "loves" fell to the DS.

Hmm Then why Anakin falls to the dark side in upcoming EIII instead of Padme?

HERMOCRATES:

SOCRATES:

It was sexist becouse it shown that female Jedi, even very brilliant one, is pathetic

I think the reason they chose Bastila to fall is because of the strong romance towards a male PC (figuring the majority of gamers are male, and would choose a male PC). I'm sure that if they (the big wigs making marketing decisions) felt that the majority of consumers were female gamers, you'd likely have seen the leading male romance character fall to the DS instead. It had nothing to do with sexism and everything to do with Bastila being the prominent love interest and thus making it a more "pronounced" fall since someone your PC "loves" fell to the DS.

I have to go with Ghostie here.

Besides, throughout most of the StarWars universe, we see mainly great male Jedi fall to the DarkSide. Rarely if ever (with exception to KOTOR) have I seen a prominent female Jedi fall to the DarkSide.

That's becouse Star Wars are male dominated and women are only a background there. All great force-users are males and first really powerful female was Bastila.

And of course she was portraited as a vulnerable princess that was spanked by

Revan and Malak, who shown her that she means nothing when compared to their gay-machoism.

HERMOCRATES:

SOCRATES:

Hmm Then why Anakin falls to the dark side in upcoming EIII instead of Padme?

That's two completely different things. There is no "gamer" that the story writer has to gear his/her story towards. In a game, you build a story around the idea about what the majority of gamers (in this case, male gamers) would play as and write their love interest accordingly.

In movies, it isn't necessary because the audience is always a third party member. We don't "control" a character, so the story can be told from a neutral point of view.

KOTORFanactic:

"...throughout most of the Star Wars universe, we see mainly great male Jedi fall to the DarkSide."

That might be because in the Star Wars movies the only female Jedi was 'that chick in the background'. Before Bastila, I'd never encountered a female Jedi. I

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

KOTORFanactic:

"...throughout most of the Star Wars universe, we see mainly great male Jedi fall to the DarkSide."

That might be because in the Star Wars movies the only female Jedi was 'that chick in the background'. Before Bastila, I'd never encountered a female Jedi. I

• 3 weeks later...