Designer Ramblings: New Cast of Companions

Heh. I like to pick on mr. Avellone a lot espicially whn it comes to the over adulation of PST; but I must say I do enjoy these 'ramblings'. They are always informative. Good stuff.

"For me, it was quite obvious that K2 wasnt going to be a continuation of KoTOR"

Um.. Yes, it is. It may not be a direct continuation of the same characetrs but what "occured" in KOTOR1 does play a part in KOTOR2. Hence the questions at the game start supposedly.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

That all makes sense

Thx Mr.Avellone

4, 5, or 6 games (if it ever gets that far),

We can damn well hope

Right now, I am just wanting KOTOR2 for my PC, and hoping for Obsidian to develop a KOTOR3

EDIT: I am just damn well glad some are re-appearing

Heh. I like to pick on mr. Avellone a lot espicially whn it comes to the over adulation of PST;

...that's jus' cuz ye wouldna know a good story if'n someone smoked ya o'er the head wit' it, dwarf... :thumbsup:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

• Like 1

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

Those pictures of Carth at the leather club that surfaced earlier this year

:devil::thumbsup: :ph34r:

...canna be any worse than the ones where he an' Josh Sawyer was doin' a version o' the G-String Hussle back at BIS...now those was some scary stuff... :lol:

• Like 1

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

I didn't have much of an issue with you guys not using the old characters, as much I wanted to know what happened to them. Yeah, most of their stories finished; however, I felt that Canderous's ending was kinga weak... like theres should have been something more; I hope he's Mandalore.

P.S.: That kinda rhymed. :thumbsup:

:devil::thumbsup: :ph34r:

...canna be any worse than the ones where he an' Josh Sawyer was doin' a version o' the G-String Hussle back at BIS...now those was some scary stuff... :lol:

Who? HIM?!?

click

click

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

"that's jus' cuz ye wouldna know a good story if'n someone smoked ya o'er the head wit' it, dwarf... "

Of course, I never said PST's story was bad. It is very good. I just don't think it's "the best ever" and you can't handle the treuth so you make up stories. go play DS. It's more to your liking than PST anyways.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Carth in leather?

I thought it was Malak (check link, format cannot be posted unfortunately)

Link to Malak pic

Thats just wrong! :thumbsup:;)

Where is the bell, wait for the bell, k i need the bell, wait the bell! Ding bonda dong! Ding bonda dong! Ding bonda dong! Ding bonda dong!

Kazic wants you.... to join the pinkside!

If the scenario is totally good then you don't need replayability. If the scenario is good and there is replayability, that is even better

So you would be satisfied with one playtrough if it was a good one? I want more than that. If I pay 50 euros for a game, I expect to play (and enjoy) it more than once.

If you look at Kotor, I think the designers came up with a ideal mix of linearity and replayabiltiy.

No. It should be a liitle bit less linear, the star map thing was not very good

But hen again, every game needs a "drive", and in Kotor the Star Maps where your drive. And, you could search them in any order you liked (except the first one). The only linearities in Kotor was the beginning and the end.

So you would be satisfied with one playtrough if it was a good one? I want more than that. If I pay 50 euros for a game, I expect to play (and enjoy) it more than once.

If you look at Kotor, I think the designers came up with a ideal mix of linearity and replayabiltiy.

I'd rather have one play through of a good linear game, than I would the ability to play through a crappy non-linear game a number of times. :rolleyes:

Btw, just because a game's main story is on the linear side doesn't mean it has no replayability. I think TSL is going to prove that quite well. Unless you want to argue that a)it's not a linear story or b)Obsidian is lying and that it will really only have one play through.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I'd rather have one play through of a good linear game, than I would the ability to play through a crappy non-linear game a number of times.  :rolleyes:

Btw, just because a game's main story is on the linear side doesn't mean it has no replayability.  I think TSL is going to prove that quite well.  Unless you want to argue that a)it's not a linear story or b)Obsidian is lying and that it will really only have one play through.

I wasn

Up until now I was hoping for Kotor 3/4/5/etc. But if we can expect to have brand new characters every game I say it just isn't worth it. Change the name, change the timeline, and stop trying to cash in on past glories by using the "Knights of" gimmick.

On the other hand, if we can at least keep a few of the characters from K2 I'd say go for the sequel. Its bad enough "the greatest jedi ever" occured twice in 5 years. It'd be a nasty stretch to see that happen 3 times.

I know writing high level campaign material is tougher than tossing random thugs at palyers, so the low level stuff is easier to write. And I agree with not wanting to take over someone else's creation(Bastilla/Mission/Canderous/etc). But sometimes you have to go the long route to get the job done, at least, get it done well. I'd hate to see this line turn into a cookie cuter franchise. Theres too much talent to let that happen.

I hope...

But KOTOR, by cRPG standards, was considered very linear.  Yet it still allowed for, at bare minimum, two play throughs (4 if you wanted to play both genders).  So thus you could argue even linear games have replayability, so they're not mutually exclusive.

OK, how about a linear adventure, like Discworld Noir? There is only one way to play it/finish it. There

Up until now I was hoping for Kotor 3/4/5/etc. But if we can expect to have brand new characters every game I say it just isn't worth it. Change the name, change the timeline, and stop trying to cash in on past glories by using the "Knights of" gimmick.

On the other hand, if we can at least keep a few of the characters from K2 I'd say go for the sequel. Its bad enough "the greatest jedi ever" occured twice in 5 years. It'd be a nasty stretch to see that happen 3 times.

I know writing high level campaign material is tougher than tossing random thugs at palyers, so the low level stuff is easier to write. And I agree with not wanting to take over someone else's creation(Bastilla/Mission/Canderous/etc). But sometimes you have to go the long route to get the job done, at least, get it done well. I'd hate to see this line turn into a cookie cuter franchise. Theres too much talent to let that happen.

I hope...

It hasn't really hurt the Final Fantasy franchise, has it?

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)