Load Times are shorter but there are more of them

Boi this game could have used another hour in the overn to finsih cooking.

Getting it on xbox I'm gonna feel like a Beta Tester.

Can anyone answer this I don't rember did day shift to night on the fly in part 1 ?

Plus I doubt the game will score higher than a 9.3 maily cuz Part 1 had xbox live and part 2 doesn't these guy got it reversed The Sequel should have more features NOT LESS!

Plus the game "ships" on The 8th so we can buy it on the 9th or 10th

I wonder why IGN said K2 feels buggier hmmm.

Take a look on this.

The framerate issues aren't really related to graphics at all. The problem is caused by all of the other systems throughout the game engine that are running. Creature AI updates, script execution, combat AI, etc. All those things take up CPU time and make it slower for the game engine to complete '1 loop' so that it can render the next frame.  Which is why you'll probably find the slowest framerates in combat.

The trouble with framerates is a side effect of using what was essentially a PC game engine on a console. PC engines tend to be written with convenience and flexibility in mind. But the side effect of this 'designer friendly' approach is that the game is slower. Data is stored as strings more than binary data, and string compares are rampant throughout the code, which are overly expensive (CPU-wise) operations compared to alternative approaches.

Console-specific engines tend to be written a lot tighter. They tend to be far more memory efficient and clockcycle efficient. To solve these problems in KotOR2, we would have to have rewritten a lot of the engine, which the timeline for the project did not allow for. And even still, we made amazing improvements over many of the systems, it's just that we then turned around and pushed the systems harder than they had been pushed before.

Early on in the project, we roughly doubled the average framerate of KotOR1, but then added a lot more stuff to the areas and the framerate went back down. We're also loading roughly 2 to 3 times the data per area load that KotOR1 loaded, but we were able to speed the loading process up enough that the load times are roughly equivalent to KotOR1.  If we were loading KotOR1 levels with our changes, the load times would have been much faster.

Most of the time, we considered KotOR1 the 'as bad as we can let it get' in terms of load times and framerates, then kept adding content to areas until the game slowed down to roughly the KotOR1 performance, figuring that was a safe baseline to operate from.

-Akari

"Jedi poodoo!" - some displeased Dug

S.L.J. said he has already filmed his death scene and was visibly happy that he

Plus I doubt the game will score higher than a 9.3 maily cuz Part 1 had xbox live and part 2 doesn't these guy got it reversed The Sequel should have more features NOT LESS!

You obviously are too stubborn to read the existing threads about the new features.

I know it's a waste of typing, since you're just a troll and want to bash any negatives you can find. But if all you care about is graphics and XBox Live content, then sobeit. But you're missing out.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Jedipodo that was a nice post reply, but It sucks for us cuz the Dev says We doubled the frame rate, then they say it went back down, I'd like to know why it went back down and what caused it specifics alittle.

also we cut loading imes in half, but then we started loading bigger areas and its now the same loading times but double sized areas.

I would have been happy with the original sized world but all that needed fixing was going into Doors and Shops that indoor out door transition should have been fixed.

Don't belive everything The Dev Obsisidan says alot its true but we are not getting the full story here, alot is covering up for mistakes and Lazyness.

Having no Xbox Live is "unexcuseable" and I'll be the firt to sign a Pettition to Excluded Obsidian from working on another KOTOR game.

All I wanted from the first day of playing K1 was Saber Glows, the rest was fine give me a new story new items and that it NO they could'nt fix One simple thing. Saber Glows!!!!!!!!

Load times are an issue with the X-box I would assume? I never had that issue with the PC.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

on the XBOX, KotOR's load times were a little annoying but i can overlook that in the sequel, aslong as the story is good enough... on my pc, KotOR ran smoothly, and the load times lasted a little under 2 seconds (depending on the area loading).. but this is on a 2.4ghz AMD, 256mb Geforce card.. so, i suppose PC load times vary depending on the computers power..

I have to stop pointing out the negatives and focus on the positives I really do look forward to this title.

Flowing and Robes that sway now.

weather FX

Being a Sith Jedi Assasain will be the unstopable sub class

HK 50 is back thats worth $49.99 right there as long as its the same voice guy and jokes.

Cooler Items new crystals, Saber color white

Solving cool mysteries

varied comabt animations

on the XBOX, KotOR's load times were a little annoying but i can overlook that in the sequel, aslong as the story is good enough... on my pc, KotOR ran smoothly, and the load times lasted a little under 2 seconds (depending on the area loading).. but this is on a 2.4ghz AMD, 256mb Geforce card.. so, i suppose PC load times vary depending on the computers power..

Yeah, my Athlon 2800+ with 512MB RAM and GeForce FX5200 256MB didn't seem to load too slowly, either. :rolleyes:

But then, I got that computer as upgrade from my PII-400 with 256MB total RAM, so I could get KotOR :)

Please. Stop these threads.

We get it that you're upset. It's alright to be angry.

Just please. Stop. If you want to complain, you can. Make your own thread where you can post list after list. Just please, stop.

Nobody wants to hear you go on about "HOW HORRIBLE IT IS GOING TO BE" for the umpteenth time.

And. . .see the glass as half full.

You'll live longer.

Fnord.

Please. Stop these threads.

We get it that you're upset. It's alright to be angry.

Just please. Stop. If you want to complain, you can. Make your own thread where you can post list after list. Just please, stop.

Nobody wants to hear you go on about "HOW HORRIBLE IT IS GOING TO BE" for the umpteenth time.

And. . .see the glass as half full.

You'll live longer.

Yea jedi mafia...stfu. bitch! <_< we didnt come to these boards to be reminded of the game downfalls, we came to these boards to hear how great the game is going ot be, sure its a disscussion but can you give it a rest! bitch.

Where is the bell, wait for the bell, k i need the bell, wait the bell! Ding bonda dong! Ding bonda dong! Ding bonda dong! Ding bonda dong!

Kazic wants you.... to join the pinkside!

Boi this game could have used another hour in the overn to finsih cooking.

Getting it on xbox I'm gonna feel like a Beta Tester.

Can anyone answer this I don't rember did day shift to night on the fly in part 1 ?

Plus the game "ships" on The 8th so we can buy it on the 9th or 10th

I wonder why IGN said K2 feels buggier hmmm.

Half-Life 2 shipped without a proper deathmatch mode, and certain weapons were taken out completely or even replaced with different ones when compared to the first. However, the engine had a massive upgrade and everyone says it's much improved. Does Half-Life 2 suck because it has "less features"?

Really, there's a lot more extra content in the sequel compared to the original with the KotOR series, and not as much "need" for any x-box live content. Considering the massive amount of replayability already present, it really isn't "less" than the original, but more... without any benefits for having Xbox live, of course.

Also, IGN said something like, "KotOR II is about as buggy as the first, although it might be buggier." That's a totally subjective statement; for all we know, there really MIGHT just be fewer bugs in this sequel, and the one who wrote that article just ran into a fair number of them. For all we know, the reviewer saw the same amount (or fewer) bugs, but was more irritated by them just because it was the SEQUEL. They didn't count the bugs or keep track of them in an objective way, and even if they did it would still be subject to that individual play through. They don't have a machine that tests the game and labels how many "bugs" there are in the game - I don't think, anyway.

Also, it might help if you actually READ what akari said about the FPS being about the same. He was VERY, extremely specific about what it was EXACTLY that made the FPS go back to where it was with KotOR. They have more programming processes running in the background, more "features" if you will that take up the machine's time and slow it down.

And yes, you really don't need to make multiple threads saying the exact same thing every time. It's one thing when people make threads without searching to see if it's been made before.