Royal Family

Darth Sirius

Are the Royal family a necessity?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Are the Royal family a necessity?

• Yes
    • No

I personally can't see the point in the british royal family, pampered and preened for what specific purpose? While the rest of us struggle on? Why? To me its a long since dead tradition that simply redivides the class system in Britain! Anyone British agree/dissagree, or any non-Brits want to give their views? All welcome.

Exactley, to me the position is nothing but money and a gay wave, fair enough in the dark ages that was all the people had, but then they used to be the head of an army when the time came, to me they should have gone with the empire, but then again thats just me, maybe I'm jealous, but I didn't get everything handed to me, I had to work for what I had, and I simply think they don't belong in this day and age.

I think it is a part of British identity. Where would we be without some old people going "one was" all the time.

I think of it was just abolished, some would be pretty pi**ed.

True, they serve little real purpose, apart from perhaps a figurehead, but I can't imagine a Britain without a monarchy.

Coming from Australia where the queen is also our "head of state", it is even more bizzare. I have a feeling that part of the problem is the queen has been around for so long now (50+ years) that people are so used to seeing her head on coins and notes that they don't think twice about it.

Hopefully when we get King Charlie and a few more of the old Monarch-loving grey hairs (of which our Prime Minister is one) die off we can finally become a republic.

I can understand that not everyone is born with equal opportunity, which is why Paris Hilton gets to go on daily shopping sprees while the rest of us actually have to work for a living, but the idea that someone is "better" than others just because of an accident of birth is repugnant. Certainly an accident of birth is no qualification for making someone a suitable head of state, as history has demonstrated repeatedly. Now of course the British monarchy *theoretically* has no real power, but it still rankles somewhat.

Get rid of them, I say. There will always be dumb movie stars and spoiled brats for the gutter press.

I say keep them. They're part of the British identity. Heck, they're part of Canadian identity too. They're one of the only monarchies that exists in a republic, and I say, they aren't hurting anyone, so why get rid of them? The British monarchy has existed for centuries, and to get rid of it just because they're rich and you're not doesn't make any sense to me.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Ditch 'em. It'll make the process of applying for American statehood that much easier. :thumbsup:

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

They're part of the British identity.

so are jellied eels and bad teeth.

Heck, they're part of Canadian identity too.

only because it stops folks confusing the canadian dollar with the american.

They're one of the only monarchies that exists in a republic

that makes absolutely no sense.

they aren't hurting anyone, so why get rid of them?

because they cost us billions of pounds a year in taxpayers money? because they're an unspeakable anachronism in the twenty first century?

The British monarchy has existed for centuries

so has syphillis

and to get rid of it just because they're rich and you're not doesn't make any sense to me.

maybe because you don't have to pay for them with your taxes.

dumber than a bag of hammers

I would consider leaving them if they didnt cost me money o:) , BUT THEY DO SO THEIR DEAD! ;)

Britain can find other ways to express her culture other than parading around a pack tinsel robed freeloaders! <_<

Sorry mkreku, but that is never going to happen. I'm like the only anti-monarchist in this country. I really doubt the Danish population will ever realize the royal family is fooling around with their tax money.

My countrymen

and to get rid of it just because they're rich and you're not doesn't make any sense to me.

maybe because you don't have to pay for them with your taxes.

We have to pay for their representative. The governor general costs taxpayers the most of all the public officials in Canada.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

We have to pay for their representative. The governor general costs taxpayers the most of all the public officials in Canada.

LOL, except that's just the cost of a single head of state who has been appointed by a democratically elected government, who only serves a limited term and can be removed for misbehaviour.

the costs of supporting an appointed head of state (which many republics have) is nothing compared to the costs of supporting an entire family of billionaires and their palaces at public expense, generation after generation, century after century, regardless of how they behave. do you really think its consistent with a society in which all people are created equal for one family to be priviledged like this?

dumber than a bag of hammers

I'm just hoping Denmark discontinues their kingdom soon, because then Sweden would have the oldest kingdom in the world.. :ermm:

nah we wont do that! :thumbsup: I'm for monarchy!

Sorry mkreku, but that is never going to happen. I'm like the only anti-monarchist in this country. I really doubt the Danish population will ever realize the royal family is fooling around with their tax money.

My countrymen

Fortune favors the bald.