What Are Your Fears For KOTOR 2?

My only concern/greatest fear was with the storyline. Having Chris Avellone as the lead designer made, in my mind, a far better plot than Kotor 1 likely. I am discouraged to hear that this reviewer found KOTOR 2's plot less than KOTOR 1.

Agreed, my big fear is that they screwed up the storyline.

Not only screwed up this storyline, but screwed over how the old characters from K1 made out.

To make it a lame "Umm, everyone died" sort of a thing regardless of how I played in the 1st game is a real bad cop-out.

No, I don't expect cameos from all of the old Ebon Hawk gang, but some references by some new NPC in this game to what they're doing now. (EXAMPLE: LS -- Big Z went back to his homeworld, or for DS -- Big Z got killed on the Star Forge by Revan. Something! Heck, I couldn't stand Big Z's storyline but a mention would be nice... you get the idea)

Another thing is how "Dark" they planning to make this.

Yeah, life stinks. And I thought the LS ending in K1 was a bit too sappy (yeah, I know it was to be like a reminder of the 1st SW movie ending) ... come on, even though Revan is a hero He/She is still a freakin' war criminal even if He/she doesn't remember it.... but this new crew, I gather from hints dropped that everyone this time around will be angst-filled and no chance of a happy romance either. Which is ok, if that's how you want to play it, but I would like the option for a reasonably happy ending, as well as a "life stinks" version. I planned on replaying a few times, and also trying different romance/friendship options if they're there. If the romances/friendships end up all miserable anyway, why should I bother?

whatever works for you. chris wanted to get short little bits o' philosophy 101 into ps:t, but he did so with those big and fat crayola crayons. example: robert howard did a pretty good job of working existentialism and nihilism into his conan stories, but at no point did he ever waste space on conan explaining his personal philosophy or world view... summarized all into a trite little 10 line monologue. thank goodness. also, tno's story were kinda lame for us.... and maybe it had to be as it were kept general 'nuff so that people playing different types o' protagonists could all enjoy equally. redemption is a common 'nuff theme in heroic lit, but we were not really impressed with how chris handled... particularly after the first meeting with ravel. (though we does note that we think chris a handled redemption better than did bio with revan or bastilla and others.)

in terms of basic plot, after you left sigil ps:t took a down turn... and even previous to that we felt like rolling our eyes more than once. is the characters that made ps:t great for us. ravel were the bestest npc we had ever seen in any crpg previous or since, and some of the joinable npcs were good too.... but tno... only so-so.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

whatever works for you.  chris wanted to get short little bits o' philosophy 101 into ps:t, but he did so with those big and fat crayola crayons.  example: robert howard did a pretty good job of working existentialism and nihilism into his conan stories, but at no point did he ever waste space on conan explaining his personal philosophy or world view... summarized all into a trite little 10 line monologue.  thank goodness.  also, tno's story were kinda lame for us.... and maybe it had to be as it were kept general 'nuff so that people playing different types o' protagonists could all enjoy equally.  redemption is a common 'nuff theme in heroic lit, but we were not really impressed with how chris handled... particularly after the first meeting with ravel.  (though we does note that we think chris a handled redemption better than did bio with revan or bastilla and others.)

in terms of basic plot, after you left sigil ps:t took a down turn... and even previous to that we felt like rolling our eyes more than once.  is the characters that made ps:t great for us.  ravel were the bestest npc we had ever seen in any crpg previous or since, and some of the joinable npcs were good too.... but tno... only so-so.

HA! Good Fun!

I played FO, and all those other games. I would rate PS: T's plot up there with most CRPG's. I can't think of any game's storyline that was vastly superior to PS:T, well maybe except XG. I've never really played any game that can stand up to literature. Maybe I missed some. Any recommendations?

whatever works for you.  chris wanted to get short little bits o' philosophy 101 into ps:t, but he did so with those big and fat crayola crayons.  example: robert howard did a pretty good job of working existentialism and nihilism into his conan stories, but at no point did he ever waste space on conan explaining his personal philosophy or world view... summarized all into a trite little 10 line monologue.  thank goodness.  also, tno's story were kinda lame for us.... and maybe it had to be as it were kept general 'nuff so that people playing different types o' protagonists could all enjoy equally.  redemption is a common 'nuff theme in heroic lit, but we were not really impressed with how chris handled... particularly after the first meeting with ravel.  (though we does note that we think chris a handled redemption better than did bio with revan or bastilla and others.)

in terms of basic plot, after you left sigil ps:t took a down turn... and even previous to that we felt like rolling our eyes more than once.  is the characters that made ps:t great for us.  ravel were the bestest npc we had ever seen in any crpg previous or since, and some of the joinable npcs were good too.... but tno... only so-so.

HA! Good Fun!

I played FO, and all those other games. I would rate PS: T's plot up there with most CRPG's. I can't think of any game's storyline that was vastly superior to PS:T, well maybe except XG. I've never really played any game that can stand up to literature. Maybe I missed some. Any recommendations?

fo is as good in terms o' plot, and bg2 (especially once the ascension mod added some missing dialogue,) clearly is on par if not better as far as basic plot goes. heck, truth be told, iwd stands up to ps:t quite ably as far as plot goes. 'course, Gromnir has noted here and elsewhere that plot in fantasy/sci-fi is often weak... and in games this generality becomes even more true. to expect much from the plot of a crpg is questionable. to be worried that a game

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I'm a PC user, but I'll probably get to play at least a little of TSL at Christmas when I visit my brother.

I really don't want to see any threads relating to release dates.

However, reading over some of the posts here and elsewhere, I do find it kind of odd that some PC users have a holier-than-thou attitude towards their X-Box counterparts.

This might be because X-Box users tend to be younger and, if anything separates teenagers from adults, it is a sense of tact, nuance and the appropriate. Tactlessness tends to annoy adults, even twenty-somethings like myself.

That having been said, looking down on an X-Box user because one is a PC user is absurd. What's to be proud of, that our Bill Gates brainwash device has varying wallpaper?

fo is as good in terms o' plot, and bg2 (especially once the ascension mod added some missing dialogue,) clearly is on par if not better as far as basic plot goes.  heck, truth be told, iwd stands up to ps:t quite ably as far as plot goes.  'course, Gromnir has noted here and elsewhere that plot in fantasy/sci-fi is often weak... and in games this generality becomes even more true.  to expect much from the plot of a crpg is questionable.  to be worried that a game

where did we say tob? ascension added some dialogue to BG2 as well as to tob.... and lord only knows what creating your own characters has to do with your diminished opinion of plot in iwd. the fact that you have non-specific and non-important characters actually helps keep plot more cohesive as you not have to deal with the problem of Player A and Player B wanting their characters to be vastly different entities. take focus off the so-called protagonist improves chances for a good plot. again, we is talking

where did we say tob?  ascension added some dialogue to BG2 as well as to tob.... and lord only knows what creating your own characters has to do with your diminished opinion of plot in iwd.  the fact that you have non-specific and non-important characters actually helps keep plot more cohesive as you not have to deal with the problem of Player A and Player B wanting their characters to be vastly different entities.  take focus off the so-called protagonist improves chances for a good plot.  again, we is talking

Fears:

Handling of the conclusion of the storyline. About 80-90% of the endings I've ever seen have been highly unsatisfactory. Since Fallout 2 and Planescape were among the good ones, things are looking alright so far.

Character interaction ... until I see for myself how it's handled, I'm just hoping for the best.

"Maybe I played with an old version of Ascension, but Ascension's (at least from Weimer's perspective) modified the strategy, the bosses, and the ending in TOB. Besides, we're talking about the product shipped, right? "

yes it modified tob, but it also added dialogue to bg2. most seems unaware of this fact, but you can check with gaider if you wish... he is quite accesible at the bio boards.

"In BG and BG2, the perspective was specifically on your character. In fact the BG2 plot revolved around you to the point of making everything else insignificant. "

exactly the point... is the reason why it is generally tougher to make the plot of such games cohesive and meaningful. if the actions of YOUR character is the focus of the story, then the choices you make will be most important, no? well, a writer of a crpg has to take your actions into account as he builds story but YOUR actions might have been completely different than Gromnir's. in a crpg with the focus on the protagonist, a writer has to make a story where the protagonist has Choices and those choices is Meaningful, but at the same time, there is no such thing as a truly non-linear plot... so, to be completely honest, your choices cannot actually impact the game to any significant degree. the writer faces the impossible task of placing focus on a meaningful protagonist and giving him choices, but he still gotta make sure that such a character accomplishes A and B and C and D.

ps:t and kotor tried to minimize this issue by giving the player less control over character development. you played TNO in ps:t. was male and dead and from the start there is various other characteristics that is fixed and known to the writer making a story 'bout such a character much easier to write. ps:t should have had a stronger plot if only 'cause it were a much less complex task to write. the revan character, while less concrete, were also a know quantity with a specific background. iwd went a step further and took focus off the protagonist(s) completely. events followed in a logical and meaningful order and the characters that were developed were static and known quantities.

*shrug*

give the notion of writing story focused on an ill-defined protagonist consideration, and you will figure it out on your own.

HA! Good Fun!

I understand that ill-defined characters are more difficult to write. But that doesn't mean IWD is superior because they added difficulty and, imo, didn't succeed. The mysteries you experienced during PS:T greater enhanced the story in its exposition. Who am I? Why can't I die? Why did Morte lie about the phrase on my back? Who can I trust?

My memory is shady on IWD, but I remember "what is happening to IWD to cause these problems" was the story drive. And the rest of the story was trying to find the main bad guy causing the problem. It seemed to me like mainly dungeon crawling, with long battles between small plot advancements.

It's funny how people wanted Obsidina to make K3 and to rate the game a perfect 10 without playing it...

....and now after one good review (it was .2 off K1) that focused on the games negatives people are freaking out

I just hoping that there won't be an anti-climax like Jedi academy,

kill big boss, stupid looking force got of ragnos disappears Katean and luke arrive to late (random talk about the dangers of the dark side to the idiot apprentice...

The end!

But This the KOTOR series and Obsidan, so that won't happen... I hope!

We have no fears. Bugs? Nah. I have the first KotOR without any patches and it plays perfect.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

KOTOR was a steller game and all the people were a bit hesitant when a sequel was announced. They werent sure if Obsidian could pull it off. I have no concerns for KOTOR 2. Bugs, meh. Every game has a bug or two.

On official Sith business.

Politics is war without bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed.

Mao Tse-Tung

It's funny how people wanted Obsidina to make K3 and to rate the game a perfect 10 without playing it...

....and now after one good review (it was .2 off K1) that focused on the games negatives people are freaking out

Actually, I think the only reason why people are commenting on the negatives is because of troll threads forcasting the doom of the game. Other than JediMafia, I haven't seen anyone harp on the negatives to the point where they feel like the game will be a complete disaster.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

My opinion the game is a winner and it's not even out yet.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

whatever works for you.  chris wanted to get short little bits o' philosophy 101 into ps:t, but he did so with those big and fat crayola crayons.  example: robert howard did a pretty good job of working existentialism and nihilism into his conan stories, but at no point did he ever waste space on conan explaining his personal philosophy or world view... summarized all into a trite little 10 line monologue.  thank goodness. 

A bit unfair given that Planescape itself is pretty much AD&D wrapped in Philosophy 101. The Factions, the whole idea of reality being shaped by consensus, etc. is all taken from the core rulebook, and everything about the setting was always heavy on the amateur philosophy. For me, that's part of it's charm.

If anything, he was translating the mood of Planescape very well. Can't fault the guy for that.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

We have no fears. Bugs? Nah. I have the first KotOR without any patches and it plays perfect.

That's sounds odd. KotOR without patching was a nightmare, i had 512mb ram with 3gb swapfile, but still the game would run out of memory and crash.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy