What Are Your Fears For KOTOR 2?

gday.. the thing that keeps popping in my mind is whether or not the story will be top notch.. otherwise nothing else really.. the graphics are the same as the original (with a few tweaks obviously) and framerate won't be much of an issue if i get it for PC.. but i haven't decided which platform i should get it for..

I'm afraid that my addiction to KOTOR II will lead to my early demise through starvation or exploding bladder. :rolleyes:

But seriously, I trust the game will be great due to its design team pedigree. I fear only game-stopping bugs, that seem to pop up from time to time in complex RPG's.

On a recent runthrough of KOTOR, the game seems faster than before.

Therefore, I have no fears. I trust Obsidian entirely. The team members have made great stories and games before, always making the story clear (no plot twists) but with a rather large, looming question to answer. (Even Fallout, in it's own quirky way.)

Fnord.

No fears. The game will play, run, and feel exactly like KOTOR most likely with just a new story. It's a sequel so don't expect a brand new experience. Just enjoy it for what it is.

The biggest pox on it is the super overdrived levelling...

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

After reading the review I fear about the ending.

bah, we shouldn't take reviews seriously. they are written by some people and apply only to their tastes.

It's the same with movies, what score would an Star Wars movie get? Yet how mnay people will love it?

And by the light of the moon

He prays for their beauty not doom

After reading the review I fear about the ending.

bah, we shouldn't take reviews seriously. they are written by some people and apply only to their tastes.

It's the same with movies, what score would an Star Wars movie get? Yet how mnay people will love it?

I don't trust people who are paid to be overly critical of games.

Just enjoy games for what they are. :lol:

Fnord.

My fear is that the game will end at sometime. I also fear that I won't be able to access its website since it seems the flash freezes on me.

In addition, I fear that many will cry that the some characters of the former game are not in the sequel.

Furthermore, I fear that with my luck KOTOR II and Republic Commando are gonna turn me into a Star Wars fanantic.

Lastly, I fear (or know) that the sequel to KOTOR will be as great a SW story that will over shadow the already pale prequels of the orginal trilogy movies.

2 fears:

1) buggy

if this title is really more buggy than the previous one, then we will simply have to wait til february to purchase the pc version... a version which no doubt will be bugged too... but one that can be patched. so, looks like Gromnir won't be playing this game til march... 'cause Gromnir no longer buys pc games until after first patch is released. isn't jade empires slated for a march release? is possible that it may be a goodly time before Gromnir gets to actually play kotor2.

2) more of the same

we liked kotor, but kotor had some big problems for us. balance were screwy. some attributes and skills and feats was being next to worthless. the sentinel class were laughable. ranged combat were nowhere near as effective as melee. jedi npcs were so clearly superior to non jedi (save in some very limited number of situations,) that you felt like you was gimping party if you wanted to take a non-jedi along. the end boss could be a wimp or unbeatable depending on your character build... and those were just some of the balance concerns we had. add in fact that we thought that combat were less than challenging and a half dozen other issues and one wonders how on earth Gromnir coulda' liked the game... but we did. regardless, we is hardly looking forward to seeing some of the same broken mechanics all over again.

is many aspects of kotor that were fun, but story is where it excelled... but if it weren't for the nostalgia factor, the core story from kotor woulda' been kinda uninspired. bioware managed to walk a Very thin line with kotor. they recreated events and settings and characters from the original star wars trilogy... but they somehow kept original 'nuff that almost nobody minded... and many didn't even realize. a great deal of bio's success with kotor were simply 'cause of the warm and fuzzy nostalgia factor... which were only heightened by the negative backlash surrounding the new trilogy o' star war movies. bio repackaged the original star wars story... and they did a damn good job of it... much to our surprise.

obsidian gots a problem with story. obsidian can't do what bio did. they cannot simply recreate the star wars story arc... 'cause we just got that from bio a year ago. people would dismiss kotor2 as a bad kotor rip-off if we got more of same. nevertheless, if you get too far away from the formula, you risk alienating the core of your fan base. furthermore, we must not forget that people is insane. 'members when coca-cola tried to market new coke? some of you is too young to really remembers, but it were a disaster for coca-cola. funny thing were that in blind taste tests people preferred new coke by a large margin. kotor2, like it or not, is new coke. even if kotor2 is better, people will honestly believe that it pales compared to kotor. we fully expect, when all is said and done that most folks will prefer the original kotor story. is almost inevitable.

on the positive side, from what little we has heard so far, obsidian correctly put emphasis on npc character development

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

obsidian gots a problem with story.  obsidian can't do what bio did. they cannot simply recreate the star wars story arc... 'cause we just got that from bio a year ago.  people would dismiss kotor2 as a bad kotor rip-off if we got more of same.  nevertheless, if you get too far away from the formula, you risk alienating the core of your fan base.  furthermore, we must not forget that people is insane.  'members when coca-cola tried to market new coke?  some of you is too young to really remembers, but it were a disaster for coca-cola.  funny thing were that in blind taste tests people preferred new coke by a large margin.  kotor2, like it or not, is new coke.  even if kotor2 is better, people will honestly believe that it pales compared to kotor.  we fully expect, when all is said and done that most folks will prefer the original kotor story.  is almost inevitable.

on the positive side, from what little we has heard so far, obsidian correctly put emphasis on npc character development

My only concern/greatest fear was with the storyline. Having Chris Avellone as the lead designer made, in my mind, a far better plot than Kotor 1 likely. I am discouraged to hear that this reviewer found KOTOR 2's plot less than KOTOR 1.

My only concern/greatest fear was with the storyline. Having Chris Avellone as the lead designer made, in my mind, a far better plot than Kotor 1 likely. I am discouraged to hear that this reviewer found KOTOR 2's plot less than KOTOR 1.

again, we wouldn't be surprised that many folks prefer old coke... and strength of chis stories in past has rarely been core plot. ps:t, for example, really didn't shine when you look at chris' philosophy for dummies stuff... but the individual characters was often the best we ever seen in crpgs.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Hello There, :thumbsup:

What are your fears for KOTOR 2? are you scared that it might flop? or the graphics might fail? any thoughts?

Cheers

:lol:

No fears at all. I never expected the graphics to be state of the art and was perfectly satisfied with the graphics in KOTOR. All I wanted was a new, compelling story and gameplay features. Those seem to be in there, so I'm just looking forward to the PC release.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

again, we wouldn't be surprised that many folks prefer old coke... and strength of chis stories in past has rarely been core plot.  ps:t, for example, really didn't shine when you look at chris' philosophy for dummies stuff... but the individual characters was often the best we ever seen in crpgs. 

HA! Good Fun!

I've never found a gaming philosophy the least bit impressive. It's a game, after all. I thought the core plot, of the last guy being a part of you, and the pc creating his own conflicts by his previous actions, was a pretty good. Add to that how much I had been anticipating Ravel asking me that question, it was pretty good imo.