IGN Gives KOTOR 2 a 9.3!

• 2 weeks later...
Interesting that the IGN review warrants an announcement, whilst its Gamespot counterpart doesn't....  :)

:ph34r:

That's just common sense though. When a movie is released, do you see them quote the bad reviews? Or the reviews where the reviewer gushes about the movie?

It makes sense from an advertising and marketing point of view.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Was Gamespy critical of the game?

I understand which reviews you want to quote on the box, but unless the dev team felt Gamespy was wrong or out-of-line, I think a team should admit their mistakes as well as their accomplishments.

I give kudos to teams that recognize a game's flaws and seek to make better games in the future because of them.

It's the only reason I still have faith in Troika after ToEE. Troika loves to discuss what they did wrong, and what could have been better in Arcanum and ToEE.

"It's the only reason I still have faith in Troika after ToEE. Troika loves to discuss what they did wrong, and what could have been better in Arcanum and ToEE."

Yeah, while mostly blaming the publisher for most of the problems and how "complex" their games are.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Was Gamespy critical of the game?

I understand which reviews you want to quote on the box, but unless the dev team felt Gamespy was wrong or out-of-line, I think a team should admit their mistakes as well as their accomplishments.

I give kudos to teams that recognize a game's flaws and seek to make better games in the future because of them.

It's the only reason I still have faith in Troika after ToEE.  Troika loves to discuss what they did wrong, and what could have been better in Arcanum and ToEE.

He said gamespot, not gamespy. But regardless, IGN gave a 9.3 while gamespot gave a 8.5. From an advertising point of view, I can understand why a company would rather display a "9.3" score prominently than a "8.5" or even a "7.5" that Barbie fan...err I mean 1up.com gave them.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

"It's the only reason I still have faith in Troika after ToEE. Troika loves to discuss what they did wrong, and what could have been better in Arcanum and ToEE."

Yeah, while mostly blaming the publisher for most of the problems and how "complex" their games are.

I've read a lot of Tim Cain interviews. In every single one he openly said he made mistakes in Arcanum and in ToEE. He admits that ToEE had a good engine, and poor story/quests. Arcanum had a good world, but poor combat.

Never once have I seen Tim Cain blame ToEE on Atari.

Perhaps. But I do think Atari pushed them to release ToEE both ahead of schedule and unfinished. They also censored the game content- according to Troika staff. Troika also said things like, "we'll release a patch, just as soon as we get the okay from Atari" Things like that make Atari look like asses, even if it was true.

Of course, the game had bigger problems than that, but combat was quite fun, IMO. It really had potential.

Perhaps. But I do think Atari pushed them to release ToEE both ahead of schedule and unfinished. They also censored the game content- according to Troika staff. Troika also said things like, "we'll release a patch, just as soon as we get the okay from Atari" Things like that make Atari look like asses, even if it was true.

Troika's saying the same thing about Vampire:the Masquerade Bloodlines as well, that it's Activision's call.

So that means either a)Troika really should look at a contract better and make sure they have some say or b)Stop making buggy games that they know full well they won't be able to support without getting approval from their publisher.

Other companies don't seem to have as big a problem with this as Troika does.

Check out IGN's review of Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords.  Snippet: "With fan expectations high, there's a lot of pressure for Obsidian Entertainment to deliver a solid follow up to Knights of the Old Republic. Put your worries aside, Obsidian has done a fine job with the sequel."

So long as the sequel is as good or better than kotor. That's all that really matters here. :p

With ToEE, the story I heard was that Troika went over budget and schedule. So the bug-testing portion of the budget finished the game, and then Atari refused to fork over any new money to fix bugs.

So both parties are to blame a bit. My only point is that Tim Cain doesn't blame ToEE completely on Atari. He takes some blame for the real problems with the game, that it's not fun. It's poorly designed. Atari isn't responsible for that. For what it's worth, the bugs have been patched, so that's not a huge issue.

I also heard that one of the ToEE developers spent some of his time working on patches for free.

• 1 month later...
Check out IGN's review of Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords.  Snippet: "With fan expectations high, there's a lot of pressure for Obsidian Entertainment to deliver a solid follow up to Knights of the Old Republic. Put your worries aside, Obsidian has done a fine job with the sequel."

IGN also gave it an 8.7! http://pc.ign.com/articles/586/586154p1.html Damn you've slipped - down 5% in only a month or two. I take it that this means the PC version is far inferior to the Xbox one? Not too good guys! :thumbsup:

That still would seem a little high even for the XboX version.

I would say 7.5 xbox I'm guess that would make the pc @ 7.0/6.9

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

dont know about the rest of you, but even despite the bugs(of which thankfully I only seem to be getting the swoop bike race bugs although these really have p***ed me off, tho it has crashed once or twice but not enough to really annoy me) I would still give this at leats an 8.9, even higher once they get the bugs sorted.

I loved the first and this has carried it on in excellent fashion, again except for the bugs, and even with the bugs is still much more fun to play than most other games out there.

I would give it about 7.5 out of 10. It's a good game don't get me wrong but it'sa little buggy and (from my 'certain point of view' :p ) the ending doesn't have the closure one would expect from this type of game, especially after the ending of the first KOTOR.

You're feeble skills are no match for the power of the Bumfluff!!

Couldn't care less what the game magazines write nowadays...

Should've known better than to buy a game just because it's a sequel to a great title. Just my 2 cents...

Agreed. First 20 hours, 8.0

The remainder, 1.0

Average 4.5/10

I couldn't agree more justabloke, KOTOR2 started off like it was going to be a great game and ended up just a weak mess with too many unanswered questions.

5/10 is the best score I could give it.

No comments on the x-box score... but the pc score seems about right for me (at least it matches my gaming experience).

As for bugs, I had one freeze to death on my second game through, otherwise I just noticed the unsolvable quests that kept hanging in my quest log, even after passing the point of no return for solving them.

The only real fun killer was the ending, whoever got the idea to neuter it deserves whacking with a Clue Hammer (+3 to Wisdom). The last impression of a game is just as important as the first impression. It's like finally getting that &^%$ stopper off the Champaigne bottle just to discover that it's decarbonised.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

It's a fair game....a little on the "WTH" level for me. I just started getting into the Star Wars games & going from KOTOR to KOTOR2 kind of left that sensation of, "OK, what did I miss?"...

The ending? pppffffttt...yeah, totally weak! I don't know if the story writers are trying to go for that "cliffhanger" effect or what....but if that was their intention, the cliff gave way! Way to many lose ends.

Bugs can be fixed....Storylines for this game can't, it would take half of KOTOR 3 to clear the stories up from KOTOR 2, & at this point I wouldn't be willing to shovel out another $50 for resolution.

(Dual-Boot)Windows XP Pro (32 - Bit) SP3 & Windows Vista Ultimate (SP 1) 64 Bit | Intel Dual Core 2 Quad 6600 @ 2.4 Ghz | 8 GB Corsair DDR 3 Ram 1600 mhz | GeForce 9600 GT 512 MB PCI Express X 3 SLI enabled | NVidia Forceware Drivers 181.22| EVGA nForce 790I-SLI Ultra MOBO | Thermalake 850 Watt PWR |